Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Towing a M105a2 w/ civilian Pick Up ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HJ-45 View Post
    Here is a thread on my modified M105. Changed the axle to bring it down to earth a little. Has worked great for the last year. If you need the size/capacity, M105 is great. If you dont need size/capacity hold out for M101.

M105 as utility trailer - IH8MUD.com
    I've admired those photos more than a few times while gathering web information on mil trailers. Nice job.

Every time I see your trailer, this is my thought:

Have you considered removing the overloads and some of the leafs in the main pack?

The M105 spring set up with just the main leaf and the following six is probably brutally overkill for a single axle hauler.

Private
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RKBA View Post
    Have you considered removing the overloads and some of the leafs in the main pack?

The M105 spring set up with just the main leaf and the following six is probably brutally overkill for a single axle hauler.
    I think initially, I considered modifying the leafpack, but became frustrated when I tried to research new ubolt and hardware for a thinner pack. I decided to Keep It Simple Stupid and leave it alone. Threading another inch on the existing ubolts was all that was necessary due to the smaller diameter axle. As it turned out, the height was good and the trailer sits level and tows fine. I was also interested in maintaining the 3000lb capacity and figured leaving the springs the way they were would maintain that goal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HJ-45 View Post
    I think initially, I considered modifying the leafpack, but became frustrated when I tried to research new ubolt and hardware for a thinner pack. I decided to Keep It Simple Stupid and leave it alone. Threading another inch on the existing ubolts was all that was necessary due to the smaller diameter axle. As it turned out, the height was good and the trailer sits level and tows fine. I was also interested in maintaining the 3000lb capacity and figured leaving the springs the way they were would maintain that goal.
    I suppose that the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it" applies.

Out of curiosity, have you ever had it weighed?

Thanks

HJ-45
    I have 2) M105 I need to lower also. Would you mind giving out the P/N on the axle you used?
    Thanks,
    Mark

Thanks

I had someone make up a sturdy pintle for the 105 with 11" rise from the receiver on my 1/2 ton civ truck. Trailer still tilts down a little. DO NOT open tailgate of truck! I just use it for moving the trailer around if I don't have the deuce there or a short recovery. Keep plenty of distance between whatever is in front of you while driving.
    Chuck

Past President, www.mimvpa.org
    MVPA # 32185
    1981 American Coleman MB-4/G40-H TUG, Cap: 140,000 LB Aircraft - 'Little Boy'
    1970 Bobbed M35A2 W/W - 'Scorpion'
    1967 Kaiser M35A2 W/W - 'REMF'
    1984 CUCV M1009 - 'Di di Mau'
    1971 AM General M35A2 Stock/Plain Jane W/rear cover, W/W - 'Sin Loi'

"We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865. You Bic?

Private
    Thanks

Since starting this thread I picked up a M116A2 / M101A2 off of Craigs List. The only bad part is the surge brake system needs looking at. the top to the master cylinder was missing along with it being dry. Hopefully the surge system can be salvaged.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tigerplayer70 For This Useful Post:

Csm Davis (06-27-2015)

Thanks

Surge system is pretty easy. The master cylinder is the same as a Jeep master cylinder. Take out the two bolts holding it in the assembly (the outer bolt has two nuts inside as spacers - they are supposed to be loose on the bolt) Once out you can see the spring clip on the main piston, take that out and you can clean it up, rebuild as needed. At the auto parts store ask for a master cylinder (or rebuild kit) for a 1960 CJ5. The only thing different is the cover, just reuse your old cover. You can PM me if you have questions, I have done a few of these...

Thanks

Default Can I move an M105A2 with a pick up truck with no air brakes

Hi All. Just purchased an M105A2 trailer for my 5 ton but prefer to not have to drive the 5 ton all the way to Ohio to pick it up. Two questions: First is can I get the trailer to "free wheel" with out having the air brakes hooked up if I use a pick up truck? Second is I am wondering if the jack swings all the way to the up position since the tongue of the trailer will be so low when its hooked to my F350. Thanks

M105A2.jpgM105A2 Tongue.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 3,438 Times in 1,595 Posts

Yes, and yes. Make sure you have evacuated the air tank...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Awesome. Thanks for the help. To evacuate the tank is it similiar to air tanks on trucks with a bleed cable or is there something else that needs to be done in order to do that?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast