• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a M105a2 w/ civilian Pick Up ?

Scrounger

When Slate revived this thread, his question was about recovering an empty trailer with a pickup. There seems to be a some “incorrect” knowledge on this topic going around. An empty M105 weighs 2750 lbs. Trailer brakes are only required for trailers that weigh over 3000 lbs. My suggestion was to use a lifted hitch to have the trailer ride more level. I don’t have a picture of my setup; however, this is an image of the kind that I use. It is rated for 10,000 lbs. One of the reasons for having a hitch that is close to the level of the pintle hook is for coupling. It is a lot safer when the pintle hook and pintle ring are similar in height and one isn’t trying to horse the thing around. I have safely recovered quite a few M105s with a 1-ton pickup instead of taking a 5-ton cargo truck to save fuel costs. The most important thing to remember is to operate the vehicle appropriately to what one is driving.

trailer mount.jpg

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Learned something. I thought it was single axle exempt, but the weight limit in Indiana is also 3000# to be exempt. The spec I have says they weigh 2650#.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When Slate revived this thread, his question was about recovering an empty trailer with a pickup. There seems to be a some “incorrect” knowledge on this topic going around. An empty M105 weighs 2750 lbs. Trailer brakes are only required for trailers that weigh over 3000 lbs. My suggestion was to use a lifted hitch to have the trailer ride more level. I don’t have a picture of my setup; however, this is an image of the kind that I use. It is rated for 10,000 lbs. One of the reasons for having a hitch that is close to the level of the pintle hook is for coupling. It is a lot safer when the pintle hook and pintle ring are similar in height and one isn’t trying to horse the thing around. I have safely recovered quite a few M105s with a 1-ton pickup instead of taking a 5-ton cargo truck to save fuel costs. The most important thing to remember is to operate the vehicle appropriately to what one is driving.

View attachment 770666
In michigan anything with a GVW of #3000 or above needs brakes , they don't care about empty weight.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In michigan anything with a GVW of #3000 or above needs brakes , they don't care about empty weight.
So you are saying that in Michigan they can arrest or cite you for being over and not having brakes without ever getting out a scale, ...all done from the tag?

We learn something new every day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks