• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC Kawasaki KLR 250

nspctr1

I've been lurking this site for a while gathering info on deuces and bikes. I've got a lead on a KLR 250 with USMC logo's painted on it. not sure of condition or asking price yet but I'm guessing its not running. what would be a good price for this if it's complete. I've seen it from a short distance but the guy that has it is very protective of his stuff. It looks like it's got the long range 8 gallon tank on it but thats about all I can tell from here. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Wrench Wench

Two of them from 1999 just sold on GL for about $2,600, but I figure those buyers were thinking they were getting M1030 M1, the brand new diesel variants. What you're looking for is the M1030 B1 bike which is going to be many years old and considerably worn, so the question you need to ask is how much would you be willing to pay for a similar vintage Kawa KLR 250 with lots of miles?

For a well-maintained bike, I think I'd top out at $1,500. For a bike of dubious maintenance, not more than $1000. But then, that's me, and I'm a tight-wad, and I'm holding out for the M1s to hit the surplus market.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
nspctr1, did you mean KLR 650 or the 250?

Wrench, the two that sold on GL were the 650 variant, weren't they??. If nspctr1 was indeed talking about a 250 cc, I would stay well less then 1000 for something that small, used and no idea of operating condition. Even if it were the 650 he is referring to, I'm even more of a tight-wad than you. I would look at comparable year civi KLR's and go about in that price range.

littlebob

Two of them from 1999 just sold on GL for about $2,600, but I figure those buyers were thinking they were getting M1030 M1, the brand new diesel variants. What you're looking for is the M1030 B1 bike which is going to be many years old and considerably worn, so the question you need to ask is how much would you be willing to pay for a similar vintage Kawa KLR 250 with lots of miles?

For a well-maintained bike, I think I'd top out at $1,500. For a bike of dubious maintenance, not more than $1000. But then, that's me, and I'm a tight-wad, and I'm holding out for the M1s to hit the surplus market.
:ditto:

Wrench Wench

In all honesty, on further review, I can't be certain what the engine size was because GL wasn't sure what the engine size was:
GL AucID:2515524 said:
1999 KAWASAKI HEAVY INDUSTRIES LMTD, ENDURO MOTORCYCLE, MODEL/ SIZE UNKNOWN, VIN#JKAKLMD18XA095982, FORREST SERVICE APPROVED KAWASAKI KRIZMAN SPARK ARRESTOR, PIRELLI RALLYCROSS TIRES, FRONT: 90/ 90-2154R, REAR 120/ 901764R, UNKNOWN IF 2 OR 4 STROKE ENGINE
The other ad (AucID: 2515525) was identical except the VIN is JKAKLMD16XA095981.

I assumed the GL auctions were 650 and that the 250 was another nomenclature for 650, as I've never seen enough details to distinguish the two of them.

mutt_kahuna

USMC KLR's

That was stupid $$ for the KLR250's on Gl....I have 3 of the USMC KLR250's and love them..kind of a unique (inexpensive) mv..the 250's are lite for freeway use but for shows,trailriding and town runs they're great..look for the oversize IMS tank,black out lights (front and rear) and bo switch,the USMC data plate (below the tank,left side on frame)buffalo handguards,tubular engine guards..if the bike has all that then figure $1500 and up depending on running condition,cosmetics,recepts for work etc...here's a pic of one of mine...

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't help you on the bike, but I CAN welcome another Central Texan aboard. WELCOME!
Ditto on the welcome. We'd love to have you in the Alamo MVPA with or without the MV. We're having a show at the Texas Transportation Museum in Sept which will have us as the highlighted exhibit. PM me if you'd like to join us.

PREDATOR

That was stupid $$ for the KLR250's on Gl....I have 3 of the USMC KLR250's and love them..kind of a unique (inexpensive) mv..the 250's are lite for freeway use but for shows,trailriding and town runs they're great..look for the oversize IMS tank,black out lights (front and rear) and bo switch,the USMC data plate (below the tank,left side on frame)buffalo handguards,tubular engine guards..if the bike has all that then figure $1500 and up depending on running condition,cosmetics,recepts for work etc...here's a pic of one of mine...
Thanks for the input!

I had those 2 bikes on my watch list from GL and the price went way too high!

Would you be willing to get rid of one of your bikes ???

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well my 2 cents. Obviously no one thought the GL bikes were the diesel bikes, otherwise they would have went for 5 to 8 thousand dollars each. Yes belive it. Because I would have gone that high. I paid over 5K for my USGI M1030B1 One of only 3 I know of in cililian hands. I own 4 1991 250s and 1 1999 250. And as far as Mutt Kahuna saying $1500 and up.... Well if you find a decent runner 250 AKA M1030 for $1500 you need to stop f*#king around and buy it. A civilian bike with no historic value will go for $1000 to $2500 depending on year and mileage. OK break it down you could spend $500+ just in parts to make a civilian one look GI and it still would not be USGI. Restore a vehicle and see how much you have in it (IF YOU DO IT RIGHT) not just an Arevo rattle can paint job over the dirt. Replacing the worn parts, correct parts, etc....I will have $2500+ (in hard components no labor) in each of the 250s I have but they were taken down all the way and new seals bearing chains, the right brackets the correct unbroken parts restored correctly. I am on a rant obviously but Look closely at a $1500 to $2000 dollar bike. I am a detail type guy so my version of good is vastly diferent than others.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dan you paid 5K for a B1 650 cc gas bike? Did you mean M1 diesel? Those two 1999 B1's here at GL Ft Sam sold for $670 for both two weeks ago only because my dumb a-- did not set a minimum bid high enough . . .

nspctr1

I saw those two bikes and you probably could have made a running bike with both units but they were in pretty bad shape. They have about 75 in crates still at Ft. Sam and the GL guy says they will probably not get those.

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought mine (M1030B1 Gas) over two years ago when there were litteraly near NONE available. We will see where a RUNNING bike winds up $$ wise. I would have loved to have paid $2K but that was not the reality. At one time ALL 650s were to be turned in for rebuild by HDT to diesel bikes M1030M1s. So obviously that "order" has been recinded.
The line for a diesel bike is deep and long, far reaching out of our MV hobby so.... HDT was looking at 12K for the diesel civilian bike before the war started.

dedgar301

There is a USMC Kawasaki military motorcycle in CA coming up for sale on Dec 1st in A4 condition, although I don't know if it looks in that condition.

dedgar301

I will be interested to see what the upcoming KLR sells for on Dec 1st. I also will be interested to see how the KLR stacks up to the MT-500 (if it runs when I get it from TX.) I'll let you all know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks