• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

General Discussions Forum Needs To Be Created

Jinx

This site really needs a General Discussions forum. As pointed out in this thread, the Conversations forum is to be used for MV discussions only. It would be extremely handy to have one forum dedicated to off topic posts, general discussions and friendly chatting not related to military vehicles. This would help users and friends come together, share ideas and interesting articles.

I would assume the point of this site is to attract people here. Military Vehicle information is very handy, but what happens when they have what they need? They leave. With a general discussions forum, it would encourage people to stay or return to chat with friends. Every other site has this feature, and it encourages closer bonds with fellow MV enthusiasts.

Just my two cents...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
This is requested time and time again. The guys that run the site have no interest in having a section like that. Feel free to check out Rizzo's site.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would assume the point of this site is to attract people here.
If that was the point of the site, I think we know what attracts the most people to a website(sex). We don't allow that here.

Exactly, the issue is, What is the point of the site? There is always someone in need of help, fixing, or restoring an MV. That should be the point of the site. There should be enough of this to keep every site user busy, and making new friends. When we have all the trouble with our trucks solved, there should be plenty of other things to discuss.:wink:

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The request for another section comes up alot. I see it as,

Say you own a bar. You like beer and whiskey so thats what you sell. Somebody comes in and wants wine. We don't serve wine here. You'll have to go somewhere else. Oh ok.

Thats it.

Lets say you smoke in your bar. Someone comes in and thinks you should change to non-smoking. What do you say to that?

The guys that made this site feel that "non MV conversations" here will only serve to make problems for it members. Too many have conflicting oppinions about EVERYTHING.

Why not just respect the wishes of the guys that brought you a great site?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, this house belongs to Chris and Mike. Unless you want them to come to your house and change the rules, just deal with it. Not a one of us can't PM, exchange email or go to Rizzo's no holds barred chatbox. Seems everything is provided. Heck, if I want to talk guns with Gimpyrobb I'll just get on the horn. Most of the folks here who communicate on a regular basis probably already have the phone numbers. Don't forget you can invite folks to a private chat if you want to discuss BS. It's provided, use it. Lastly, this forum is a privilege, not a right! Speech is not free here!

frodobaggins

If that was the point of the site, I think we know what attracts the most people to a website(sex). We don't allow that here.

Exactly, the issue is, What is the point of the site? There is always someone in need of help, fixing, or restoring an MV. That should be the point of the site. There should be enough of this to keep every site user busy, and making new friends. When we have all the trouble with our trucks solved, there should be plenty of other things to discuss.:wink:
Yes, I've made all my friends here discussing how to wire trailer lights..

frodobaggins

I'll also repost my reply from an earlier thread:

Posting in the forums, is not for chatting(we have a chat room). Rizzo has a forum where almost "anything goes".
All due respect, of course it is. Nobody wants to go to another place to have chats with the friends made here. Forums are designed for people to connect with each other, share ideas, and generally keep us informed and entertained.

I believe if you want to keep the forum clean and easy to use, we need a section for general chatting. It's fine to keep the crazy stuff out, I understand the no politics/gun nut/religion thing. I don't really have a problem with that. However we need a place to just bull with the friends made here. Also the chat room is not a permanent record, we can't go back and look what happened yesterday, etc. Long running conversations with potentially hundreds of people are better in threaded form, with pictures, etc.

Almost every forum has a place for general chat. I don't see why it would be a problem here. Just monitor it like the rest of the site for the stupid stuff. It would generally keep the rest of the forum a lot cleaner, because people would think, "Hey, I want to discuss this with my friends, but there is really no place for it, hmmmm, wait, this can go in General Chat, cool".

2cents2cents:rant:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to have an intelligent conversation with them involved. Interpreting their wishes in here without their input is pointless.
How's this for input, right from the "Monitored" thread!

What Kenny said is no BS. I just got off the phone with one of our members who was grilled by three of our nation's finest federal agents. They asked a lot of questions that they already knew the answers to. I won't be shocked if they show up at my house too.

Everyone needs to take what they say on this site very seriously, even if it is in jest, because there are agencies out there who will perceive it as a threat! I will not risk the last 10 years of hard work that it took to build this site to appease some disrespectful member. If you want to take risks with yourself, that's fine, but don't do it here.

We have rules and regulations on this site to protect the membership and SS. If you cannot abide by them, then I will ban you. No questions asked. This is dead serious business. If you are in doubt about what you are about to post, then don't post it. It's that simple. If you think the rules cramp your style, then go elsewhere.

We don't talk politics, guns, and other "fringe" topics for this very reason. Keep it MV relevant.

mangus580

I'd like to have an intelligent conversation with them involved. Interpreting their wishes in here without their input is pointless.
Just do a search on it...

Our wishes have been stated many times.

And quite frankly, we were just discussing the possible removal of the conversations forum that we DO have because people cant keep it on topic.

This is a military vehicle site....

If you want to talk Guns, go to a gun site...

If you want to talk Politics, go to a politics site...

If you want to talk BS... go to a BS site...

If you want to talk MILITARY VEHICLES! Stay here!

Sorry to sound so harsh, but it seems more and more lately we are bringing on members that don't want to talk about the topic at hand. Sadly, its chasing away many of the well respected members with the great knowledge. I am fed up with it, and there are changes in the works.

We cant continue to travel in the current direction, or we will be facing some major problems.

frodobaggins

Just do a search on it...

Our wishes have been stated many times.

And quite frankly, we were just discussing the possible removal of the conversations forum that we DO have because people cant keep it on topic.

This is a military vehicle site....

If you want to talk Guns, go to a gun site...

If you want to talk Politics, go to a politics site...

If you want to talk BS... go to a BS site...

If you want to talk MILITARY VEHICLES! Stay here!

Sorry to sound so harsh, but it seems more and more lately we are bringing on members that don't want to talk about the topic at hand. Sadly, its chasing away many of the well respected members with the great knowledge. I am fed up with it, and there are changes in the works.

We cant continue to travel in the current direction, or we will be facing some major problems.

Here, I am not trying to start an argument here, and in the end, I'm going to abide by whatever rules are made. I would just like to see if we can discuss it and ways to make the site somehow more socially friendly and keep it clean and respectful and overall focused. I've made a lot of friends here, and I want to discuss daily life with my friends, not go somewhere else to make new friends and discuss how I had a bad day. If some nut jobs want to post irresponsible garbage, I'm all for letting them have it. I don't want to see that crap either.

I'm not proposing we have a free-for-all, just a relaxed, seperate non-mv space for good stuff, social stuff, funny stuff. Hell I'll even volunteer to moderate it, just give me some clear rules. I've been an admin on a site with 100,000+ members before, I understand it can get crazy.

Look do what you want, but If you will let us, I would like to keep the conversation going and maybe find a happy medium, but in the end, you guys have the keys, we are just passengers. Just my opinion, no offense meant anywhere. I love this site, and thanks to all that make it great.

Kevin

GoHot229

As we have it, there are quite enough posts that come awfull close to being 'rated R' If anything was game there would quickly be posts of a personal nature better not seen by the general public....these would reflect on Steel Soldiers mission, which is the furtherment of MV's and their role in todays world of very liberal values. You need only surf around the internet to see the host of less than moral posts, pictures, and lifestyles. Not all very condusive to a Wholesome environment. Chriss & Mike have included about every imaginable topic that most MVer's would need to access Most of the time the questions posted are on maintanence and keeping our vehicles in top form. I think a more liberal section of topics would be invaded with topics and attatchments that were a bit too risque. And could be accessed by the general public......reflecting on Steel Soldiers in a not so respectable light. Most would have the foresight to be appropriate in their comments, but there would also be those with an agenda contrary to Steel Soldiers. I'm with Chriss and Mike on this one. I had my head-butting with Magus and was flat out told ....... Now I see the wisdom of his reply, I'm the furthest thing from a kiss-up that there is, vocal, opinionated and sometimes a little to 60's ish. But the forum could find that a 'anything goes' section the first instalment of its demise. We are in the public's view 24-7 by virtue of just existing. What do you want a 8-10 year old to be able to acess in our posts ? Hopefully something their parrents would aprove of... JUST LET IT GO, it h'aint goin'a happ'in.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For now, it just isn't going to happen.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks