• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need some advice on how to go about fixing a MEP 003a

maddog

One of my MEP 003a's works fine, the other runs ok but doesnt make any electricity.

I have the manual and I am a capable mechanic and can hold my own with electricity but dont know much about electronics.

Where would I start to figure out what might be wrong with this thing?

Thanks

Carl_in_NH

Is there a troubleshooting flow-chart or process in the TM for electrical side failures? I think that's typically included. I think the TM for the MEP-017A has such a step-by-step one can follow for troubleshooting - but I've never looked at the MEP 003 TM.

For things like gensets, one typically doesn't neem much more than the TM, a multi-meter, and a clip lead or two to run through them and at least diagnose the failure to the component or sub-assembly level.

-Carl

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
did you try flashing the field after you had it running. It's supposed to flash itself when you start it, but sometimes you need to do it again. After it's running, turn the knob to start again, just for a few seconds though, this will flash the field and if everything else is in working order it should start producing power. If that doesn't work, there is a troubleshooting section in the TM like Carl_in_NH mentioned.

First look in TM 5-6115-585-12 on page 3-8 and follow that troubleshooting section. If that doesn't work go to TM 5-6115-585-34 on page 2-10 for the more detailed troubleshooting section.

maddog

Thanks guys, I was just over at smokestack reading about flashing. I have the manual but have not yet started the troubleshooting.

Tomorrow, I troubleshoot.:-D

maddog

Oh, I see. I printed TM 5-6115-585-12 but not TM 5-6115-585-34 so I will have to do that. Another ink cartrage and half a ream of paper.

Ahhhh, but then I will be prepared for anything.:-D

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
you do know, that you can just save the TM's to your computer and print only the pages you want to look at, at any given time...right?

Sure saves a lot of ink and trees that way.

while you're at it you might want to get the -24P manual too...it's the parts manual

dj1230

I have a mep 003-A. my aux system doesn't work. when I turn master from off to prime/aux, the aux pump runs-then I go to start and while gen is running, I turn back to run/aux and engine dies but pumps stay running. help-- thanks dj

storeman

The starter switch position you are going to is only for priming the fuel system. Once started, don't turn it back to prime/aux or you will kill the engine. Once it is running, just release the spring loaded position of the starter switch. Your unit is acting as it should.

Welcome BTW.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks