• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this a M105a3 trailer

AaronW

Did some on-line searching....I think it is an M105A3. Added surge brake and improved corrosion resistance. Wonder if it would look better with some NDCC's.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No that is indeed a M105a3. Very interesting trailer, I looked over several in Richmond last month. The rear reminds me of the back of a humvee. And barely any wheel wells in side, so you have alot more floor area.

Not sure I'd personally pay $1,200 for one. The real question is, is it worth it to you?

Sephirothq

That is a M105a3 trailer. you can tell by the tires and the springs on it. I have seen them go for $600+ on the gL ste. I don't know if i would pay $1200 for it. YOU might be able to pick one up cheaper. But then again those trailers were made in 1997 so they are like brand new. you don't buy much trailer for $1200... So it's up to you.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being only a few years old and having surge brakes make it seem like it is a good trailer. I wouldn't mind having one like that but right now it wouldn't be worth $1,200 to me. Sure looks good though.

RKBA

hmmm.....

that's pretty sweet. What is the lug pattern? The hubs sort of look like a dually arrangement.

It looks like the best features of the M101A2 (surge brakes) and M105 (large cargo box and ultra beefy spring) combined.

papercu

That is the trailer for the FMTV trucks but still being used for the deuce. That is why it carries it own spare, the wheel/tire are 22.5. Notice the stabilizer for tire changes mounted on the fender, has a ladder mounted in the tailgate. Also has the hydraulic surge brake system and a automatic emergency braking breakaway system. It has it own TM too. 1200 is not bad for retail at this time, if you don't mind it being a lot taller. Wayne

Last edited:

txdodge43man

I drove by the FMTV plant in Sealy Texas many of times and have even taken a goup tour. They bulit some of the traliers there for the FMTV and the looked nothing like the m105a3. I thought the FMTV trailers use the same wheels and tires and the truck. But I could be wrong

papercu

From the TM The M105A3 Trailer carries a maximum payload of 3000 lb (1361 kg) either highway or cross-country.
The trailer is designed to be towed by the following vehicles:
1. M35, M36, M54, M55, M813, M814, M923, M927, and M939 Series Trucks.
2. M1078, M1079, M1081, M1083, M1084, M1085, and M1086 Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles
(FMTV).

That not saying the FMTV doesn't have another trailer type just for itself. Doesn't the HMMWV has two trailers, the M101A3 and another one made just for it. Wayne

Last edited:

Nonotagain

Yes the trailer is a M105a3.

I purchased two of these when they first were offered on GL back in June.

As for the tire size, they use 10.00X22.5 tubeless tires which are really nice to tow with.

Since most of thee trailers also include tarps and bows plus they are 66" wide between wheel wells they are a great deal even at $1200.

The weak link on this trailer is that the landing gear only uses a 1/2" diameter spring loaded pin that only goes half way through the rotation collar to allow for storage. Remove the cross bolt and discard the pin and through drill the fitting and install a full length pin so that the gear is supported on both sides instead of just the one.

This is why the trailer as pictured is sitting on the lunette and not the landing gear wheel.

Make sure that you get the trailer jack which should be mounted on the front of the right fender.

Last edited:

rwoods

As others have stated it is a M105A3. If it has the jack on the fender, make sure you get it with the trailer. Most have been taken. I purchased a new one from Pribbs and it cost me almost 2/3s of what I paid for my trailer on GL. Also be advised that the swing-up landing leg/jack is a potential death trap as the attachment point is very weak and prone to failure. Ron

Edit: Just read Nonotagain's post and realized mine is redundant.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks