• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red Dot R-9777 Roof Top A/C

I just talked to Thermo King of Orlando about pricing on a roof top a/c solution for a Deuce. A few things I found out.

A complete roof top A/C and heat solution that runs off of 24volt can be had for under 2000 dollars that includes the compressor, compressor mount, lines, and all fittings.

He gave me a break down like this

1450 for the R-9777.
330 for the compressor and mounting bracket.
150 for the lines and fittings.

BTUs Heating -- 45,000 BTU/hr @ 100º F
(11,340 kcal/h @ 37.8º C ) air temp. rise.
Cooling -- 25,000 BTU/hr with 36º F (6,300 kcal/h with 2.2º C) refrigerant temp. and 80º F (26.7º C) wet bulb entering air
Air Flow 400 CFM (680 m3/h)
Weight 65 lbs.
Motors Evaporator -- one, 24 VDC, three-speed

Condenser -- two, 24 VDC low profile

Current Draw R9777-0-24 Heater A/C (24 volt)
R-9777-1-24 A/C Only (24 volt)
Models R9777-0-24 Heater A/C (24 volt)
R-9777-1-24 A/C Only (24 volt)

Reactions: NDT

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the heat thing down, anyway it would be cheaper if it was just the A/C portion?

I'm interested to see someone install this, and how they overcome the 65lb problem, build a Canadian type cage to mount it on?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
way too expensive. i can buy evap unit for $260 (22,220 btu), compressor for $135, condenser for $90, rec/drier $25 plus hoses and some brackets you get the picture. these are all retail prices on new parts. do it yourself for $800+- or get used parts like i did my last truck and spend about $350. search e-bay for universal a/c

Coldfusion21

There was a great thread on all of this not to long ago. Someone broke down the BTU ratings and what would be required to keep a cab cool even in the hottest part of the country.

That thread was pages of info, i would suggest starting there.

Besides, with most trucks selling off GL for possibly less then that unit, i dont think its the most feasible. Are you planning on installing this unit?

Everything can be done for a price. For me at least thats not anything new.

There is other much cheaper ways, yes. But with the other ways there alot more fabrication required. The roof top unit is an ALL IN ONE solution. No trying to mount a condenser infront of your radiator, no trying to install ducting and fan housing under the dash. only modification in the engine bay is to add a compressor and runs hoses and a few wires. And to cut 2 small opening in the roof of the cab. Also for those who dont already have heat, this also includes heat. So if you dont have heat its an even better upgrade.

More expensive yes, and a WHOLE lot simpler and easier to install. Id say this mod would be for people who want to take long trips in there truck or who drive it daily.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
don't agree. as someone who has done things like this many times, the compressor mount will be the hardest. everything else is a walk in the park. the unit i would use is a typical under dash unit, but i would mount it inside on the ceiling at the rear facing forward. it is 5 1/2" high so there is plenty of room.

tom

Coldfusion21

I was gonna say, you make mounting a compressor and running AC lines seem awfully simple compared to mounting an evap unit and running some ducts.

To each there own. I don't have a deuce, and i certainly wouldn't have 2k to spend on AC if i did.

To me add A/C is one of those things you do when you go all out, like singling out the tires, sand blasting and repainting, add insulation. some guys have more then 2000 dollars in tires and rims!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
FFH, if that's what you want to spend your money on, then I say go for it.

Are they available in OD or sand? I found a compressor mounting kit on the net for my M925A2. I already have the fuel burnng heater kit so I would just need the AC. It needs a lot of stuff before it needs AC though!! I wonder what kit the Army uses on the 939A2 truck in the desert? Probably the R-9727.

http://www.rdac.com/Pages/product_pages/units_index.html#Anchor-Rooftop-47857

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Now I know why you and Mike DM96 are pals! You think alike!

My theory for slapping AC on my925A2 is if it is good enough for our troops in the sandbox, then it is good enough for me. We'll see how much money is left in the fund after I get it on the road. Of course it will be fall or maybe winter by then so I won't think about AC for another 6 months! LOL

Now I know why you and Mike DM96 are pals! You think alike!

My theory for slapping AC on my925A2 is if it is good enough for our troops in the sandbox, then it is good enough for me. We'll see how much money is left in the fund after I get it on the road. Of course it will be fall or maybe winter by then so I won't think about AC for another 6 months! LOL
DM96 Is actually my brother in law. My Wife is his half sister (same father). Hell I dont even have the Deuce yet, im buying it from Walter (green gator) I hope around the first of October.

Mark2X2

$2000 is a pile of money, I'm not saying, I'm just saying......
Portable Emergency Generators @ Electric Generators Direct - Your Emergency Generators Superstore
Walmart.com: For the Home: Home Improvement: Heating, Cooling, & Air Quality: ACs - Window Mount
Redneck Air Conditioner | I Am Bored
For $750 with an extension cord, you will be all set. Not like a Deuce is quite, won't hear the generator running anyway. Plus you could use it when you get where your going. Win Win!
Mark
M35A2 Deuce
M105A2 Trailer
M101A1 Trailer
3) Rokons

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
ok, i just ordered a new eveporator unit that will fit inside the cab up on the ceiling for $155, a new compressor for $135, and a new condenser for $107. i will take pics and make templates of the brackets especially for the compressor. using 12 volt equipment on 24 volts is easy on a/c, you just use a dropping resistor for the comp clutch, in most cases 3 ohm 50 watt will do. same for the evap blower, enough resistance so motor gets 12 volts in high.

tom

frodobaggins

ok, i just ordered a new eveporator unit that will fit inside the cab up on the ceiling for $155, a new compressor for $135, and a new condenser for $107. i will take pics and make templates of the brackets especially for the compressor. using 12 volt equipment on 24 volts is easy on a/c, you just use a dropping resistor for the comp clutch, in most cases 3 ohm 50 watt will do. same for the evap blower, enough resistance so motor gets 12 volts in high.

tom

More details !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks