• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PLGR external antenna

Wile E. Coyote

Found out when I was looking for one that the AS-4333/V specified for the PLGR is actually the AeroAntenna Technology AT575-29. If you go to Ebay and key in "AT575" in the search box, you regularly come up with a bunch for sale with and without the magnetic base for under $20 bucks (there are two-three right now as a matter of fact), but the trick of course is to find the weird-ass Rockwell PLGR antenna cable to hook it up to the PLGR. I fluked out on the one I found about a year ago and haven't come across one since, though if you feel like opening your wallet you can get the cables through Rockwell-Collins still -- or better still get them from where RWC gets them...which is 3D Marketing...at between $75-$85 depending on whether you want the 5 meter or 10 meter one. Their price on the antenna hockey-puck itself is...heart stopping...so hit up Ebay.

Wile E. Coyote

Found these on ebay and bought them. What does the cable actually hook upto?
I have a few of those too. Near as I can figure, the cable itself is meant to hook into the back of the SINCGARS vehicle mount at the GPS connector, as it won't hook up to a PLGR with that cable, though the antenna itself will work if you have the appropriate cable for the PLGR.

It won't however work with a DAGR. If you try, you'll get "ANTI-JAM ANTENNA communication lost. Check cable..." as it recognizes it's hooked up to an external antenna system - just not the *right* external antenna system.

I think I've had them working with the Trimble Centurion/ SAGR/ ASN-169s but *not* the SLGR/ Trimpack. I'd have to go re-check though as I've sort of forgotten what I've tried with which, and my work table currently looks like the aftermath of an explosion at a mad scientist's laboratory. ;)

Wile E. Coyote

Austin Aviation frequently has the correct cables for that antenna when used with the PLGR - and NOS to boot - so go through his listings if you need the cable.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just thought I would share since a fellow member in the service pointed me in the right direction. A dagr oval antenna 5v will work backwards with the PLGR instead of the OE 3v hockey puck. I tested it and got no errors.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I have a fat 50 ammo can full of them, most are brand new. They're already loaded for the NJ Show.

Any potential secondary use other than their original intended use with the PLGR?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the mini cable ends are industry standard and these antennas can work with commercial units also. Not sure the demand though?

Wire Fox

Anybody know if these have any compatibility with Garmin GPS units? My Garmin Montana has a lot of very desireable, useful features to go to work in a HMMWV (most importantly, I already own it). Would be nice to get to use the PLGR or DAGR antenna on it, even if I had to make or buy a cable adapter to adapt to the MCX connector it has. I'm not sure of any of their specs to know if they're going to be compatible...

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe they do. The prc68 website has a lot of good info on both the dagr and plgr units and specific info on each of the antenna. Plgr are round and 3v and the dagr are oval and 5v but backwards compatible to 3v.

There is a lot of specifics there on the architecture for communication but I am not versed on them as I am just learning. I scored a good deal on one of the latter model plgr and I am in " learning " mode.

Wire Fox

I believe they do. The prc68 website has a lot of good info on both the dagr and plgr units and specific info on each of the antenna. Plgr are round and 3v and the dagr are oval and 5v but backwards compatible to 3v.

There is a lot of specifics there on the architecture for communication but I am not versed on them as I am just learning. I scored a good deal on one of the latter model plgr and I am in " learning " mode.
Seems like the DAGR unit would work, being on the safe side. Garmin, nor any merchant, published specs on the antenna compatibilities of the Montana 600-series. Instead, they just point you to a model of antenna to sell the end-user. Luckily, someone somehow got some specs for the antenna itself, which is going to be wide-ranged: http://www.gpsinformation.org/allory/ga25mcx/ga25mcx.html

The good news here for mil-surp users is that you could potentially use one of these $22-25 antennas, with the right cable, if DAGR antennas ever dry up or become prohibitively expensive. I'll try and pick up a DAGR setup to mount onto the HMMWV and route it into a docking arrangement for my GPS unit. I'll at least test if it seems to be cross-compatible. At a minimum, I can see I'll need a female SMA to male MCX adapter, like this https://www.amazon.com/DHT-Electron...1493004619&sr=8-3&keywords=sma+to+mcx+adapter, in order to physically connect the two. Luckily since Apple made use of the MCX connector on Airplay routing devices and the rest of the world uses SMA, the adapter is available for less than a cup of junk coffee, delivered. You would need the OPPOSITE adapter to make use of a Garmin antenna on a DAGR, which I can't seem to find such an adapter readily available (MCX female to SMA male).

If anyone wants to sell a DAGR antenna w/cable for $25 delivered, I'd love to buy that off of you and test it on my Montana. Used is ok, as long as the condition is reasonable. I can get an adapter and turnaround some static tests comparing internal antenna to external antenna to rudimentarily see if the antenna helps or hinders my GPS.

Wire Fox

My god...I'm my own best personal researcher. About five times in the last two weeks, I've come searching for information that I've thought I've never looked at before...only to find that every answer I was looking for, I had already compiled together and posted on here somewhere. Either this is a sign that I get my nose into way too many things when I'm bored or it means that I'm having some pretty bad memory loss issues and I should probably visit a doctor for some tests...

More on-topic, I have several PLGR and DAGR antennas I picked up at Findlay earlier this year for very little cash. With my above references to help me out, I'm ordering a cable today to make use of these antennas and I'll post some results for you all soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks