• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce to be sacrificed....unless

50shooter

I have a problem. All the deuces I currently have are nice. Not tooting my horn but it is a fact. I've been debating for awhile and I've decided that I should have a .....bob deuce. I never thought I'd care but after getting more involved w/the MV thing I've come to think that cutting a deuce apart is a bit sad.

Long story short. I'm going to own a bobber very soon. If someone has a bobber and wants an original stock deuce and a M105, let me know. We may be able to work something out. This sounds like a sales ploy but it isn't. I really don't want to have to cut up a nice deuce. I can have one of mine bobbed and ready to roll in less than a week and $1,200. I see that most people want a small fortune for a bobbed deuce and they do actually get itt sometimes. I've got the trucks and the trailers ready for a bob job but if someone is ready to go back to original, let me know. We've come to suspect everyone has a secret agenda but I just want a bobbed deuce and don't want to kill another original. That being said, I can't justify $8,000 bucks when I can convert my own for 1/2 that total.

PM me if interested.

Thanks
Jason

Wrench Wench

HTF did you manage to glom on to 6 all from the same year? Strickly speaking, I'm not interested in Deuces myself, but if I were to have one, it'd be a `73 bobber. (I was born in `73 too.)

spicergear

DO IT! It's not the really that difficult a job...just everything is really heavy. I left it set up so that I could roll the tandems out from under the truck then pull one off and roll it back under by itself. Hanging the set of front springs for the new rear axle isn't difficult just takes a little time measuring twice, NOT pinching your fingers when the shackle mounts flop around (if you don't know...you will) and drilling the 5 mouting holes per end. I have extra sets if anyone is interested too-

50shooter

HTF did you manage to glom on to 6 all from the same year? Strickly speaking, I'm not interested in Deuces myself, but if I were to have one, it'd be a `73 bobber. (I was born in `73 too.)
To make it more interesting, I've sold two other deuces that also happened to be 1971's. I purchased them here and there and they all just happened to be 1971's

50shooter

DO IT! It's not the really that difficult a job...just everything is really heavy. I left it set up so that I could roll the tandems out from under the truck then pull one off and roll it back under by itself. Hanging the set of front springs for the new rear axle isn't difficult just takes a little time measuring twice, NOT pinching your fingers when the shackle mounts flop around (if you don't know...you will) and drilling the 5 mouting holes per end. I have extra sets if anyone is interested too-
I would love to do it but don't have a place to do it in. I think it would be nice to actually do that and be able to say "I did that". Beyond logistics though I really don't want to cut up another one if someone else wants to go back.

Everytime I see a warbird turned into an air racer or 69 Camaro turned into a drag car I shutter. One of mine will end up bobbed if I can't come up with a plan B.

Thanks

eddiec

Where at in I'll, close to Cairo? If so, there is a man close by, hour and a half away that sells bobbed deuces for $4500 I am told. Not me, nor a friend. Just a thought

50shooter

Where at in I'll, close to Cairo? If so, there is a man close by, hour and a half away that sells bobbed deuces for $4500 I am told. Not me, nor a friend. Just a thought
Would the guy close to Cairo happened to be a member? Does anyone know him or how to contact him. The potential problem is he will most likely just cut up another to fill the void of the one I buy which really ends up in the sme unhappy ending of another deuce.

eddiec

bobbed in mo

i don't have his #, and i am sure he is not a member. I can try to get down there to get his number if you want, and a few pics if I can make it. He seems to be cutting up a bunch, so you buying one will not change that.

PaFarmer

I have a bobbed deuce, a standard M-35 and and M-109. These trucks are not rare that is why they go cheap on GL. Comparing a deuce to a warbird or a classic camaro is goofy. Dueces are cheap and plentiful, there appears to be a near endless supply coming onto the civilian market. The supply of deuces in civilian hands is increasing day after day, not so with your examples.

I have seen plenty of posts from the "purists" on this issue and they make me laugh. If someone want to drive around in a bobbed deuce, it is a free country. If they make some mods that make their truck more useful or desireable to them, that is their business.

If you want to bob one, based on e-bay prices, you should have no trouble selling it for a profit, if you decide later you do not like it. There is a good reason that folks tack on a few bucks over their cash outlay when they sell a bobbed deuce, it takes some hard work and some good tools. I would not sell mine if I did not make a fair return on my investment of time, cash and energy.

I can't see anyone trading you straight up, when the bobbed deuces bring twice as much money as a stock deuce.

As for the utility, I like the bobbed truck more, I use it more, and that is really what this hobby is about, right. Drive a bobbed deuce, I'll bet you buy or build one of your own.

50shooter

PaFarmer, you make some decent points but missed the intent. See this thread it makes some great points from one of the leading MV guys around. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/29499-gazing-into-crystal-ball.html

There were so many P51 Mustangs after WWII that they were selling them for the fuel in the tanks. Deuces may be cheap but a Mustang was worth more for the fuel it contained than the market for the plane. Now a flyable Mustang is 7 digits.

I agree that there will be deuces all over for decades but not forever.

I'm not a purist as I have every intention of having a bob truck .

In my post you will note that I said IF someone was interested we could work a deal never mentioned trading straight up nor intend to. In fact I gave this thread about a 2% chance of finding the right guy at the right time. Fortunately posts are free so gave it a shot.

I agree that a bob deuce is handier in most cases, between military service and civilian life, I've driven and flown things in every size shape and color and never found one yet that did everything I want it to.

Thanks

50shooter

i don't have his #, and i am sure he is not a member. I can try to get down there to get his number if you want, and a few pics if I can make it. He seems to be cutting up a bunch, so you buying one will not change that.
Thanks for the info. Please don't go out of your way on my account. If you happen by great but otherwise I may as well cut up one of my own as to have him do it.

Thanks

m3a1

A lot of WWII military vehicles became "something else" for a time and for many, that's the only reason why they survived to be around today. That said, the cutting of a frame is somewhat final (how many halftracks were stretched in order to become well-drillers!)

iatractor

Back when I bought my deuce, I had absolutely every intention of making it a bobbed truck. As the first summer of parades and veterans using the truck, I knew in my heart that I could not bob tha gut truck and still sleep at night. Too many guys have came up to me and began telling stories about the truck, and some even tell about how the truck got them out of a deadly situation with tires and pieces missing from a battle. It means more to them than me, and the least I can do is keep a part of their history alive. With that being said, I still use my truck and haven't done a frame-off restoration. Hauled wood pellets for the neighbor, used it to haul landscaping and tractor parts. But I have tried to keep the military look to it and don't plan to do anything overly drastic to it. Someday if my budget allows, I will have a bobbed unit, but will also still have my first deuce as an original unit. Should we preserve every piece of surplus equipment as it is today? Probably not. These trucks were meant to be used, and they are downright handy for many. Had I still been farming today, there might be an m932 with a grain box. Plus I can't tell you how many m35's and m818's I've seen with silage boxes, the trucks are ideal for that and better than any civilian rig out there. We should preserve these vehicles, but not to the point where someone is afraid to modify it for fear of reprisals from the mv police. As long as we have a decent supply of vehicles, there are plenty for all uses. I do think that if your vehicle means something important to a veteran, then please honor them by preserving it. Get another one to do what you want to do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks