• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering wheel removal

panzerjunky

Hello Gents
How do you remove the steering wheel I would like to replace the horn button fix the cracks and paint. Any T.M. Links?
Thanks Jerry

Barneyszoo

I used a medum size bearing puller with a peace of alu. round stock on the collum nut to protect it. I had to grab the very back side of the wheel center section with the puller.

Barneyszoo

The horn button has to be removed, take the palm of your hand put it on the horn button push down and twist it to the right or left, it should come off like a radiator cap, then you will see all the springs and nut that holds the wheel on. Remove the nut and then you will need the puller to get the wheel off, it's kind of a press fit onto the steering shaft.

Lex_Ordo

The wheel is a real PIA. If I were to do it a gain, I'd buy the USGI Steering Wheel Puller from Saturn Surplus. It is made for the Duece Wheel, and will make life 100x's better. For $75, I think you will not mind spending the money for peace of mind.
However, if you do not buy it, then this is what you can expect, as I did this in the winter and will not do it again!

I used a Sawzall, and removed the three spokes and parts of the wheel hub in order to get a commercial puller around the hub. I needed the hub to have two large flat sides in order to get the puller to even close around the wheel hub.
Then I need to clamp the puller in order to keep it from backing off and opening as it was tightened. Plus I had to keep the puller screw from damaging the steering column shaft, because there is no place for it to fit. It was a two person job, and a lot of work.

Once the wheel was removed, and I filed off the burrs on the column shaft due to the peening caused by the commercial puller, I fed a New Horn Cable assembly down the shaft to the steering gear box, using a safety wire to pull it through easily.

I couldn't get my old original horn button off so I just broke the top and removed everything from the wheel.

Once the cable was fed and the wheel was attached, there is a hole in the shaft where the wire sticks out of the top.
With the New style Horn button kit you have to crimp a new waterproof plug on the end so it can be plugged into the new horn button.
Not bad at all. Very quick and the joy of the entire project.

Again I bought the USGI New style kit from Saturn and it came with all the instructions. Just remember to also buy a new Horn cable. You should buy two in case you stretch one too much and it tears the wiring inside the rubber insulation.
Ask me why I know.

Good Luck. Remember when it is done it will look like this...

Attachments

StoneMill

What do I call these parts when I go and rent them? I've got the puller but I need something to go around the steering shaft to grab onto. What about the horn wire. Can I pull the wheel without ruining the horn wire?:cry:

Here you go, looks about the smartest way to go. You can always 'RENT' these tools from Advanced Auto or the other Auto stores fairly cheap.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the steering wheel puller is the best thing to own... you wont regret spending the money. i thank Dan for getting mine..

StoneMill

Well, guess I'm going to head to Saturn tomorrow morning for a puller. It'll come in handy when I get the next deuce anyway. Saturn is only about a 40 min drive.

combat32

I got lucky on mine, removed the horn button and nut, put feet on dash and pulled! It came off eventually, wasn't on too good to begin with.:-D

FivetonSparky

Hello Removed the old steering wheel. pia YES! Was wondering if I need to grease the bearing before I put it back together? plus wondering if I need something to press it back on ? with the spring there are no threads for me to start the nut.

Ajax MD

The wheel is a real PIA. If I were to do it a gain, I'd buy the USGI Steering Wheel Puller from Saturn Surplus. It is made for the Duece Wheel, and will make life 100x's better. For $75, I think you will not mind spending the money for peace of mind.
However, if you do not buy it, then this is what you can expect, as I did this in the winter and will not do it again!

I used a Sawzall, and removed the three spokes and parts of the wheel hub in order to get a commercial puller around the hub. I needed the hub to have two large flat sides in order to get the puller to even close around the wheel hub.
Then I need to clamp the puller in order to keep it from backing off and opening as it was tightened. Plus I had to keep the puller screw from damaging the steering column shaft, because there is no place for it to fit. It was a two person job, and a lot of work.

Once the wheel was removed, and I filed off the burrs on the column shaft due to the peening caused by the commercial puller, I fed a New Horn Cable assembly down the shaft to the steering gear box, using a safety wire to pull it through easily.

I couldn't get my old original horn button off so I just broke the top and removed everything from the wheel.

Once the cable was fed and the wheel was attached, there is a hole in the shaft where the wire sticks out of the top.
With the New style Horn button kit you have to crimp a new waterproof plug on the end so it can be plugged into the new horn button.
Not bad at all. Very quick and the joy of the entire project.

Again I bought the USGI New style kit from Saturn and it came with all the instructions. Just remember to also buy a new Horn cable. You should buy two in case you stretch one too much and it tears the wiring inside the rubber insulation.
Ask me why I know.

Good Luck. Remember when it is done it will look like this...
For cryin' out loud, there's a special MILITARY steering wheel puller?

I have a drawer full of passenger vehicle steering wheel pullers and none of them look like the mil-spec version. Mine seem to operate on the principle that there are two, threaded holes in a thick, metal collar set around the splined shaft hole of the steering wheel. The military wheels do not appear to have these holes in the metal collar so there is nothing to pull against except the back of the steering wheel.

I've observed that there seems to be two styles of wheel listed for the M35 and M809 series trucks. Both styles work without modifications?

Also, I've observed two styles of horn buttons- A smaller button held in by a metal ring with 3 screws, and a large, rubber button held on sort of like a radiator cap.
Are the horn buttons interchangeable with either style of wheel?

I have the wheel pictured below, with the radiator cap style horn button. I'm not addicted to either style of wheel, I'm just chasing the best price for an 18 inch wheel and I want whatever horn button is compatible with it.

Attachments

davidb56

A bearing puller from HF may work. Not sure if the two plates that come with the set is big enough, but they also sell a bigger plate separately. You need them to remove press fit bearings anyways..Item # 62593

Ajax MD

A bearing puller from HF may work. Not sure if the two plates that come with the set is big enough, but they also sell a bigger plate separately. You need them to remove press fit bearings anyways..Item # 62593
Thanks, I'll take a look. If it doesn't work, I've seen some kludges during my Google searches that will probably work. They involve chain, bolts, wood and a small bottle or screw jack.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was all prepared to press off that steering wheel with a mighty puller. Removed the nut, wiggled it and off it came. Soldier A had nicely greased it and it was not the least stuck.
If I hadn't had the puller at the ready the wheel would have been welded on.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I was all prepared to press off that steering wheel with a mighty puller. Removed the nut, wiggled it and off it came. Soldier A had nicely greased it and it was not the least stuck.
If I hadn't had the puller at the ready the wheel would have been welded on.
The way the world turns....Cub scouts......BE PREPAIRED.....life is easier then..............

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks