• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1 In Sterling Heights

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My son sent this photo of an Abrams on the move this morning in Sterling Heights Michigan
(Gotta love kids that love MVs!)

I'd like to think (DREAM) that it's on the way to my house but who knows, with all of the defense contractors in the area!

Jones

Ya know, I'd even dig up and re-pour my driveway just to park it at my house for a while.

I'm seeing a whole new business opportunity here; rent it a week at a time, to MVers with HOA problems.
I bet neighbors would rejoice over "only a deuce or five-ton" in the yard after that.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Give them a invite to the fall trail ride would you! I would pay good money for a trip through the tank trials in that !!! Very cool! Whats the occasion?
That would certainly boost attendance at the trail ride.
No occasion, probably heading from one defense contractor to another.

If you remember the photo of Gov Dukakis in the turret of one, that was taken at the General Dynamics test track near where this photo was taken.

Usually, unless they move by rail, they move under the cover of tarps and darkness. From time to time one or two turn up in a facility here and no one ever sees it arrive, then it's gone before we know it. Of course we can't photo them.

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent catch by your son. It's headed up to my place but it was supposed to be under the cover of darkness.

I do believe that someday you will have one on static display at the Veterans Memorial Park. How cool would that be??

citizensoldier

I do believe that someday you will have one on static display at the Veterans Memorial Park. How cool would that be??
He should be able to get one from TACOM if he feels like jumping through the paperwork hoops.

One time when I was in Grayling they had over 36 of them on train cars near the airfield.. What a site to see! Now that is a big load! 69 tons x 36 and maybe even more because we could not see the end of the train it went around a corner!
M1, M1A2's and so on are a awesome piece of machinery!

Last edited:

196thprober

He should be able to get one from MATES if he feels like jumping through the paperwork hoops.

One time when I was in Grayling they had over 36 of them on train cars near the airfield.. What a site to see! Now that is a big load! 69 tons x 36 and maybe even more because we could not see the end of the train it went around a corner!
M1, M1A2's and so on are a awesome piece of machinery!

Haven't heard of MATES, please advise. Static display of piece of Armor and hopefully a chopper is in the plan for the Park and have had initial contact with TACOM- a lot of documentation/paperwork involved and a very long process.

Thanks

citizensoldier

When we checked with TACOM here the paperwork was not to bad and they would deliver it to you. You had to have a base to there specs and a clean record on file through our VFW.. Our VFW guys could not account for 20 M1 Gerands from the early 50's so that shot it all to hell.. Until we accounted for those weapons we were out of luck.. Well most of the guys took them home and are long gone now so any further endeavor was futile!
I would think you could get a chopper, artillary piece or a M60 tank fairly easy.. Pobably not a M1 Abrams just yet but you never know..

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone can do it you can! Let me know if I can help.. How about a B-52 on a stand over the whole thing? :-D

Talk about a major coup! Chuck gets a B52 for the memorial, and the air museum has to look at it all the time!
Come to think of it, there might be enough parts in the tall grass and forest to build one.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Places I have seen M-1 Abrams on static display:

Patton Museum--------------------------Fort Knox, KY
Anniston Army Depot-------------------Anniston, AL (they rebuild them there)
Mississippi Nat Guard Museum-------Camp Shelby, MS
Infantry Museum------------------------Fort Benning, GA
I'm sure there are other places but these are ones I have laid eyes on.

mudguppy

... but it was supposed to be under the cover of darkness.
...Usually, unless they move by rail, they move under the cover of tarps and darkness. From time to time one or two turn up in a facility here and no one ever sees it arrive, then it's gone before we know it. Of course we can't photo them.
what are you guys talking about? i've seen them on trucks in broad daylight all the time coming in and out of stewart and up/down 95. heck, i've seen them driving on the public roads in and out of APG on 3 seperate occassions.

and why would you not be able to photo them - there are pics all over the internet... besides, the only thing you can't learn about them off the internet is the exact composition of the armor alloy and details of the target aquisition system (which isn't the best, anyway). there's newer technology on the M3 Linebacker than the A1 Abrams...

tanks are cool, but you guys are blowing this cloak and dagger thing way out of proportion.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
what are you guys talking about? i've seen them on trucks in broad daylight all the time coming in and out of stewart and up/down 95. heck, i've seen them driving on the public roads in and out of APG on 3 seperate occassions.

and why would you not be able to photo them - there are pics all over the internet... besides, the only thing you can't learn about them off the internet is the exact composition of the armor alloy and details of the target aquisition system (which isn't the best, anyway). there's newer technology on the M3 Linebacker than the A1 Abrams...

tanks are cool, but you guys are blowing this cloak and dagger thing way out of proportion.
There are defense contractors that have "things" that cannot be photographed. Things that you will not see on the road..... yet.

Westech

CPL
They have a show on History about how they rebuild the M1.... man we load all sorts of crap on trains and trucks and ship them all over the place. I even saw the MRAP before it went in to full production on the back of a low boy in the day time in the city streets. Come on man take off the tin foil hat.

nkawtg

I think it went to Selfridge.......saw one there today on display for the airshow Saturday. Striker and many MRAPs on display too.

Stop by booth 18, I've been working on my pour.....no foam:wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks