• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1 In Sterling Heights

cchamilt

That is where GD was/is

General Dynamics Land Systems's original headquarters is up there.

I worked there for a short while. They did at the time do some QA and training there.

kcimb

I got to play with an Abrams at pendleton. Very cool vehicle. We used the sights to zoom in on an Amphib waaaaaay out in the distance and you could still pick out individuals on the vessel.

Very fun vehicle and still superior to the Leopard, T-90, and Challenger 2.

claycore

but not to the Chieftan or Leopard 2...
The Abrams far outclasses the Chieftain. The Challenger 2 is the current UK main battle tank, while the Chieftain is equivalent to the M60 and was removed from service about the same time.

As for which tank is better - the Abrams, Leopard and Challenger are all so close in armor, armament and fire control that victory would go to whoever got off the sabot round first.

My 2cents

Fort rogers

m-1 photo

Im in love!!!! Im a new member and this site is better than ... you guys are great!!! But this is killing my work habit:mrgreen: How impossible is it to start a museum or anything to get some static displays from the government? They destroy far to much and ill do anything to help preserve all i came! Thanks again for the excellent advice on subjects.

donalloy1

she IS the MBT to be afraid of! once upgraded to nato 120mm smooth bore. the abrams is the mbt to stop. the crews are well trained. when they apply what they have learned on battlefield. the warsaw pact vehicles are in big trouble...:x

Jeepsinker

I only wonder how a private citizen would go about purchasing one of these monsters? Or even an M60 tank from the government. Can it be done if you aren't a millionaire?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I only wonder how a private citizen would go about purchasing one of these monsters? Or even an M60 tank from the government. Can it be done if you aren't a millionaire?
The short answer is that you can't buy armored vehicles (historical or otherwise) from the government. In rare cases a legimate museum can get on on loan if they are willing to do the paperwork and pay for transport. There are very few M1's (if any) in private hands.
I live near Anniston Army Depot where they have been rebuilding armored vehicles since WWII and what they have out there rusting in storage is a dam shame.

Jeepsinker

That sounds about par for the course WM. just figured it was worth posing the question. I dream about being able to buy the tank that sits in my town's park rusting away. If the city owns it that may be possible, but I doubt it will ever happen. I know there are people who own M113s as well, but perhaps those are in a different category than a tank?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks