• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help identifying a Willys Jeep W/Pics.

Tnrobocop

The shop that is welding in the floor pans on my CUCV had a guy drop off this jeep to have the body work/restoration stuff done.

They aren't sure what year or type because the data plates are missing. We looked for the S/N stampings on the frame but I was in my civilian police uniform and was not in a hurry to get greasy in it. The windshield frame is not original to the jeep and it has vacuum lines for the wipers, so I am sure it isn't.

The hood is off the vehicle but was there and looks like it came with the vehicle. It said Willys on both side of the hood and of course the tailgate also says Willys.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dumpster

Jeep ID

From the photo's it appears to be a CJ-2A with an M-38/ CJ3B windsheild.

Does not appear to be GI body. The M-38 Jeep had standard GI instrument cluster, and the most telling feature was the battery box lid on the cowl panel imediately in front of the windsheild.

If it is a CJ-2A it may still have its data plates on passengers side under hood, or on the left front inboard side of the frame rail. If it has these then it is most probably a CJ-2A.

I did not see the left side entrenching tools blister in the tub indicative of the MB WWII jeep.

emr

It is a mish mosh of Jeeps like alot of them today, pick one and that is what it is, its a repro tub and an original windshield from something like said above. It does not have a fold down militery style Grille, civy frame then also. It is what they want it to be, i would call it a cj2a also, could have been a 3a...also

Tnrobocop

From the photo's it appears to be a CJ-2A with an M-38/ CJ3B windsheild.

Does not appear to be GI body. The M-38 Jeep had standard GI instrument cluster, and the most telling feature was the battery box lid on the cowl panel imediately in front of the windsheild.

If it is a CJ-2A it may still have its data plates on passengers side under hood, or on the left front inboard side of the frame rail. If it has these then it is most probably a CJ-2A.

I did not see the left side entrenching tools blister in the tub indicative of the MB WWII jeep.

It had where something like the data plate was on the firewall on the passenger side, but that is missing also.

So it looks like the general consensus is that it is "probably" a CJ-2A Jeep with a M38/CJ-3B Windshield?

Thanks a bunch.

Westex

The body is CJ-2A, as is the tailgate. Willys markings are normal for the tailgate on the CJ-2A. The i.d. plate would have been located directly in front of the passenger seat, and I can see from the photos, it's gone. If you think the engine is original, you could get the serial number off the engine and maybe do some more research? The transmission that originally came in the CJ-2As was more heavy duty than the tiny transmissions that came in the WWII MB-45 jeeps.

Tnrobocop

The body is CJ-2A, as is the tailgate. Willys markings are normal for the tailgate on the CJ-2A. The i.d. plate would have been located directly in front of the passenger seat, and I can see from the photos, it's gone. If you think the engine is original, you could get the serial number off the engine and maybe do some more research? The transmission that originally came in the CJ-2As was more heavy duty than the tiny transmissions that came in the WWII MB-45 jeeps.

The engine is not original.

Also where the turn signal lights were are covered up with small metal pieces that were RTV'd in place.:roll:

BillF

It is a cj2a tub, only the 2a's had the brackets on the side for the top bows. the grill seems to be missing the marker light holes which means someone probably filled them in. The windshield fram is m38, everything else appears to be 2a including the frame. For serial number look on the frame rails behind the front bumper

randyscycle

I found one as well, but haven't gotten it into my hands or seen it in person. Its at a friend's house a couple states away, as he grabbed it for me and is holding it until I pick it up. Not sure exactly what it is yet, but it has column shift, no tailgate, and appears to be a civvy 2a. The funky top and front fender sheetmetal needs to go, but otherwise the plan is to keep it stock. Its titled as a '46.

Here are a couple pics. Has me very interested:

Attachments

emr

The first pic has a M38 style "replacement" aftermarket tub, the filler neck is only that big on the M38 NOT the cj2a or 3a tub , I have seen many after market tubs mostly in the day from tywan sorry for the spellin, the police are goin to git me on this one, i will check and edit later,there are so many butchered jeeps, it is sad . But the tail gate could be Mil also, but to hard to tell in pic, but since it does not have the mil grille the tail gate must be original 2a or 3a, as the grilles and tail gates usually survive along with the frame and get reused. the tubs go first, so the chances of it being an actuall Willys tub is slim at anytime at best...and this just is not, with that filler neck and no batt box lid on the cowl.........its a repro. tub.......Randy

Last edited:

wbrianiii

Another quick way to tell the difference between a CJ-2a and a CJ-3a, only the 2a had the drain holes on the sides. These can be seen just above and abaft the steps on each side.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
My jeep started out as a m38 medic jeep . now its a 19 43, 45 46 54. m38,cj2a,cj3b,m38a1. to put it all back together, but it runs and is a lot of fun. got the glass tub for $150.00 couldent pass that up.

White666

Another quick way to tell the difference between a CJ-2a and a CJ-3a, only the 2a had the drain holes on the sides. These can be seen just above and abaft the steps on each side.

Im not so sure this is 100% correct, look at the pics of my '57 cj3b above and you will see the drain holes very clearly, the 3B was just a 3A with an extra 6 inches added in the cowl area. I recent picked up a '56 DJ3A tub (think...2wd MD style back without a tailgate) that also has the drain holes. I used this tub to repair rust on the 3b, used all but the dash, cowl and firewall from the DJ3, will be splicing in the 3B rear wheel openings when I get back to work on it. Sorry, not trying to hijack the thred

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks