• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

US Army Mog?

Pinz25086

There are 2 of them sitting at the Camp Robinson DRMO lot in Little Rock right now. I was looking at them when I picked up my deuce on Monday.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The SEE Freightliner Mog is a 406, renamed for Freightliner to be a 416 to make the differance....
Wolf, I believe the 406 indicates a short wheel base of 2380mm and the 416 is the long wheel base (2900-3400mm). Both designations are from MB, and have nothing to do with marketing by Freightliner.

This is from my technical manuals for repairing Unimogs. Surely you must have the same information as well?

Rick

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

Yes and no to the question of the wheel base. Here in Germany the wheel base is not making a difference of the basic type, it is for the version of the type. For the Frightliner stuff, means the Mogs for the US Army, they made the serial numbers, even for our European understanding being a 406, a 416 type (didget 3 to 6 of the serial when starting with WDB, else the first three digits). US manuals make the difference for the standard short wheel base was sold as a tractor / working mashine. The other wheel bases were not available in the US exept for the Frightliner versions for the US Army.
Wheel base, gross vehicle weigth, suspension system, engine, transmission variants and so on are coded in the three digits after 406 or 416. for the US the 10th digit, if 17 didgets, should be model year according ISO. In Germany/Europe/RDW (RDW means Rest der Welt exept the US (Rest of the world)) it is the steering position : 1 = left side, 2 = right side, 0 = central steering; thanks to the MB Truck tractor.
This may not be found in the literature. But I have some homologation bussines with Unimog. Thats why I know that the 416 is for the US Army vehicles. The source the the vice president of the Unimog Club who also is the homologation manager of Unimog.
Wolf

Last edited:

unimoger

I saw 4 of the 406 engineer vehicles at the AZUSA NG armory here in California. They were in excellant condition, one was even NOS condition and smelled like a new car!! The date on the inside of the door was 1988. I will try and post some pics.:p

saddamsnightmare

January 1st, 2010.

Works like a Swiss Army knife too. A lot of GI's complain that the SEE won't do what a standard backhoe will do, but I gaurantee it beats digging a hole with a pioneer rack tool....
And the 404.114's are lighter then the later series, but they will still go the same places, just slower......Anyone has a running SEE they wanta get rid of in trade, I'll see what I can fish up for one.
The S404.114's always struck me as a little more agile then the U1300L's, but, if I had the money, I'd have a U1300L just cause they are easier to get into and out of (it's an old coot thing....).
Have a prosperous and safe New Years,

and regards to Herr Wolf too...:-D

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:p

tm america

i love the engineering behind these trucks they are really cool what they do but i think a standard gradall would be better suited to do the job of these trucks.maybe a mod to the gradall suspension so it could flex when needed then be locked when digging would have been a better idea .gradalls can be used as cranes as well and are easier to get parts for and easier to maintain that a unimog.

saddamsnightmare

March 28th, 2013.I doubt if many folks would take a Gradall where a Unimog would go, and the Unimog will go faster on the road then a Gradall! Only the HMME will do more and go faster, and at a very large markup over a used SEE!:twisted:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had three of these with a unique unit in my old Brigade. They were replaced by Case tractors. The Case's were Up Armored ready, but were not armored. This unit did have Low Boy(s) (1 O/H but I think auth 2 or 3) to move the SEE trucks and I guess the Case ones now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks