• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Needle scalers to remove rust and paint

GoHot229

A longtime tool of the Navy for removing rust and blistering paint. Anybody have any experiance with removing rust and chiping paint on a Deuce or? Some years ago I used one while welding to remove slag, and WOW did it work perfectly for that. I'm seeing them at Northern tool and Harbor Freight in the weekly sales paper, and at $49.99 at H. F. it sounds cheap enough. Along my bed would be the most effective around the vertical pocket uprights in those hard to get to spots. Sandblasting's just not viable at this point with what little I have left to finnally have the metal and body where I want it.

Attachments

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
:ditto::ditto::ditto:You need a good supply of air, works really good on frame, axles and wheels. The thicker the paint the better. Don't forget ear, eye protection, and thick gloves to help tame the vibes!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget to have someone try to sleep next to the truck while you are using the needle gun.

Look at the avatar, it isn't like I haven't tried sleep during a paintex........... ;-)

washingtonmountains

I have the very one that you are considering at H.F., They work great, you will just halfto use some judgement on thinner metal. Some of the stuff they sell wasn't worth the freight to ship over here but that tool is a decent value, sure makes stick welding easier.
Good luck with your project!!!

GoHot229

Hopefully this isn'y too hard on the eyes as far as color goes, Your right some of the colors just bug you out trying to read them, for me, black and blue...........on to the scaler....Harbor Freight also makes a small version too, like the 9 needle below rather than the 13's shown above, it might be easier on sheet metal. At any rate I'll go easy to see the outcome on the sheet metal so as not to make it worse for all my work. Yea now I remember, they did get hot after a short while, I'd forgotten that part.
SWBradley, I'm guessing you were in the Navy...no ? Also I'm guessing the Deuce air supply wont be enough but for 1-2 second blasts?

Attachments

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

get a orbital sander with 80 grit to do the cab, then use the needle gun for the bed. ALL said above is true. I used my NH needle gun on the back deck of my M62 and it was AWSOME!!!! I dont care how careful you are, once you hit that cab with it, you will be covering your truck with either lots of paint or a layer of bondo to get rid of those little nicks it will leave.

cbvet

DUH! It's for removing scales from your needles!

Okay. It's an air powered tool, with hardened steel rods all bunched together. A piston "hammers" on the back end of the rods, causing them to work like little chisels, knocking off paint & rust.

kipman

I just got back from helping a friend strip a military dump of its rust, he bought a cheap scaler, I broke it in two hours, found out they need a lot of oil, need to put a oiler at the tool. He ordered a good one, 250.00, will be using it neek week, with a oiler.

68t

i been using a hand grinder the cheap one, but get the 3inch knotted wire cup brush. build by dewalt.dw4910 , they have them at lowes, in the welder supply.14 dollars. it screws on the grinder. it for use for removing slag on welding , but it will work for rust and paint. just try it. 68t

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got back from helping a friend strip a military dump of its rust, he bought a cheap scaler, I broke it in two hours, found out they need a lot of oil, need to put a oiler at the tool. He ordered a good one, 250.00, will be using it neek week, with a oiler.

I don't know which is more amazing, a $250 needle gun or you having a friend.

:)

Yeah, I'm kiddin ya Kip.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
gimp, why would you waist good fuel for the deuce by putting it in a pneumatic tool????? :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks