• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NP 208 transfer case brace

bigburb11

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and to my M1008. They are both AWESOME!!! :beer:
The M1008 has what appears to be factory dual exhaust on the 6.2.

I've always been told that the brace (bar) running from the passenger side of an NP208 (attached by two large bolts running into the transfer case) to a bell housing bolt on the back of the engine is a MUST... this helps avoid cracking the transmission case under hard use due to torque reaction of the drivetrain.

My truck doesn't have the brace... the dual exhause seems to make package space for the brace difficult.

First, I want to confirm that these trucks came with dual exhaust from GM. Second, I want to check and see if the M1008 should have the transfer case brace installed from the factory (maybe someone took mine off and tossed it).

Thanks for any info available!

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
THe case cracked and the tranny fluid ran out, did not know it until it started slipping, tried getting it back home, needless to say it did not make it.

I might be able to post a pic, if I can find my old ones from a parted out truck. You might want to go out to the junk yards and start looking. Good luck as most are gone or they do not know what they have...

SmokeyDod

Cucvs -all M1009 0r M1008, 1010, 1031, 1028 were never equipped with these braces. Most civ units did not have the TH400 but were equipped with TH350

POOR WHITE BOY

My m1008 does have one - i bought the truck from gl. I have a m1028 that does not have one. Looks like it never did. Also have a m1009 - looks like it never had one . I have a 1988 4door crew cab air force truck - it does have one. All civilian chevy 4x4's with auto trans 350 or 400 transmission had the brace and 2 small torque rods on the bottom of the bellhousing from 1978 thru 1991 for sure. The older models had a brace that bolted to the frame.
THE TRANSMISSION CASE IS A HD CASE AND HAS A ALUMINUM BELL HOUSING DUST COVER

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PWB, do you have all those Chevys here in WPB? If so I'd love to take a look at them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks