• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NP 208 transfer case brace

rustystud

View attachment 709842Not sure if it is by coincidence. But today while out doing some cleaning up and routine parts organizing I came across the dreaded/controversial transfer case torque/strut Rod/brace. You know that cylindrical piece of round stock with 3 holes on it. The same one GM just put on the truck to add weight. And just like the one I have on Terminus M1009. Used to be someone scottlady that wanted to make them. Haven't seen or heard from him in a while. Anyone? Do tell? Happy Holidays. I found a few other things. Loads of thanks if you can identify and may find useful. View attachment 709845View attachment 709844Also found one of these and I know what it is and will be stashing that in a safe place. View attachment 709847View attachment 709846I do know how hard and sought after these brackets are. Appears to have never been installed.
That power steering pump bracket is a good find ! I wish I had some stashed away somewhere ! Wait a minute, I believe I do have one somewhere. If I could just remember where I put it. aua

The_DJ_Remixer

Hello and thanks for your time. I am putting this brace on and Im curious if others have used the m16-2.0 bolts? The 6 bolts that hold my nv4500 and 208 together are SAE (pretty sure). I measured and got .50055 - Before I crossthread a steel bolt in an aluminum housing, Id love to hear any other input on this. Also, can someone take a photo of the plate that the engine side mounts with? I do not see them in the groups of photos posted on this thread. My eyes arent as good as they once were ;) I know this thread is old, hoping someone can offer info. Thanks!

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello and thanks for your time. I am putting this brace on and Im curious if others have used the m16-2.0 bolts? The 6 bolts that hold my nv4500 and 208 together are SAE (pretty sure). I measured and got .50055 - Before I crossthread a steel bolt in an aluminum housing, Id love to hear any other input on this. Also, can someone take a photo of the plate that the engine side mounts with? I do not see them in the groups of photos posted on this thread. My eyes arent as good as they once were ;) I know this thread is old, hoping someone can offer info. Thanks!
They are indeed m16-2.0 bolts and I used 35 mm long ones. I guess I am confused on what plate you’re referring to on the engine, the other end of the support rod bolts to the bell housing/motor with the bell housing bolt.
3B3E153A-7956-4A3A-B106-74FADE1F0F0E.jpeg

The_DJ_Remixer

...as for the engine side, thanks for clearing that up...from the post from others I assumed they were talking about some type of other hardware going on the engine side. I think Ill buy a 3/8 stud for that bolt hole, as the rest of the bell housing bolts are ARP and not sure if that lil bit of thread loss would be an issue. So the brace just bolts pancaked up to the bell housing? Thanks!

Attachments

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’d clean the threads first. I know mine were full of crap and it took a lot of oil and slowly working the bolt in and out when I had the t-case on the bench to clean the dirt out. From your pic looks like yours is pretty dirty too.

And yep just against the outside of the bell housing. I got a longer bolt that made up for the thickness of the t-case brace so that way there wasn’t any thread loss into the block.

The_DJ_Remixer

I’d clean the threads first. I know mine were full of crap and it took a lot of oil and slowly working the bolt in and out when I had the t-case on the bench to clean the dirt out. From your pic looks like yours is pretty dirty too.

And yep just against the outside of the bell housing. I got a longer bolt that made up for the thickness of the t-case brace so that way there wasn’t any thread loss into the block.
They were in fact m16 x 2.0 - the threads were dirty as hell and once I got em clean all is good. THANK YOU!

cucvrus

I did the brace DSCF3183 (3).JPG DSCF3185 (1).JPGand redesigned the transmission crossmember DSCF3195 (3).JPG after crushing 3 of the stock crossmembers on my Terminus M1009. I never crushed this crossmember and I ran 4 x 4 1/4" steel angle on the bottom frame flange bolt it fast. I used the paint I had in the shop as I always do on projects that it doesn't really matter on. Have a Happy Thanksgiving. I have a Miller welder in my shop now. If i had that back in the day I think Terminus would have been a tank. I still have the hatch door from an APC that I was going to install and never did.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks