• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road trip to Alaska

So what do you think of Ferro's Trip?

• I'll convoy with you!

Votes: 34 15.6%
  • Stop by and have a beer when you pass through

Votes: 64 29.4%
  • Good Luck

Votes: 91 41.7%
  • Don't do it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ferro's lost his #@%^* mind

Votes: 29 13.3%

• Total voters

nhdiesel

I may go with Patrick's idea. Anyone have 11x20 NDTs out there? I'll go price two new 11x20 street radials today. If I was going to keep it 9x20, I have two 95% tread tires on the front of my old school bus I could 'borrow'.

Any reason (besides the initial cost of the tires) not to go with street radials all around? You could single the truck...those are rated for WAY more than you need even in single form. You would cut down on possible tire issues, since the street rubber would be much more reliable than NDTs for a long haul. Your fuel economy would most likely increase (help to offset the cost of the tires), truck would ride smoother...many benefits. They will last much longer than NDTs, would probably show very little wear after 12k miles. After the trip you would still have good street rubber to use for the future (again, helping to offset the initial cost).

Just a thought...

Jim

grizcty

"Hoping to go about this time next year.":shock::cookoo:

Starting in July - August would be wiser. (but bring bug dope):roll:

If you plan on coming up here in September??? (hunting season)
Remember, we get our first snows in Sept.
Bring long johns, a rifle (.338 or bigger):idea:
Lots of $ for fuel. (I just paid $4.83 a gallon for truckers diesel):driver:
Canadian fuel prices, are even higher.
Leave the veggie oil at home, as it is worthless. (Temps are now in the 20"s at night.)
Mount a 300 gal. tank in your truck bed 2cents

****Check with Canadian customs "before" planning your trip.****

As you will need a passport, vehicle info, insurance etc..
And since you are driving a large MV, you will have to stop at their DOT scales.
(even U-Hauls have to stop & pay):x

Check with Canadian customs "before" planning your trip.
Toll-free (from US): 1-877-227-5511- 1-888-226-72778)
Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)

PM me if you need more help.

grizcty

10000 miles at 6 mpg and 2.50 per gal diesel is 4200 dollars in fuel.
10,000 miles @8 mpg= 1,250 gallons. Figure you bring 5 drums of veggie @ 50 gals per drum (just to make it easy on the math) that means you have to buy 1,000 gallons of diesel....lets say at $2.60 a gallon (conservative) that would be........$2,600 dollars in fuel.
Now....10,000 miles in 30 days equals 333.33 miles per day. At 55 miles per hour that would be....... 6 hours per day......could be done....go for it and make sure you send me a post card every day as a record.....good luck....
Hey partner,

If anyone wants to deliver me fuel @ $3.00 a gal..
I would buy 3000 gallons, in a heartbeat!!

grizcty

Ferro,

What is your timeframe???
Since there is safety in numbers maybe a convoy would be in order.
Lead deuce, fuel truck, maint truck (with tools and towbar), trail vehicle.
I am retired and have time on my hands (when not in school).
I have an M49 tanker that will carry a lot of fuel.
If we got topped off with veggie just before we left the lower 48 by "sponsors" we could prob make it back without refueling.
Each truck could pull a trailer with supplies in it......and I have the inflatable chemical shelter to hooch up in.
I was in Public Affairs in the Army so I know how to sell a story to the media.
Maybe try to get some of the major surplus companies to sponsor us.
GL sponsored the recent Transconteniental Convoy that retraced the first Army convoy to cross the US.
Folks who wanted to accompany us could ride along for as long as they wanted to.
It would take some logistical planning but could turn out to be the adventure of a lifetime.

Hey Wreckerman,

Just a few thoughts.

Maybe you fellas could get the U.S. & Canadian DOT to help sponsor.
Along with B.P. & Tesoro Alaska fuel companies.
Bill it as a commemorative ride, to building the Alaskan Hwy. (1942)

Would love to see, and take pictures of the rigs, parked in Delta Junction.:grin:
At the "northern end of the road" sign.

grizcty

I hope you are in good medical condition, and I am not messing with you.
Your back will take a beating. Your legs will get real sore in the cramped cab. I travel some long distances in my m35 just to go moose hunting, I have to stop every 120-150 miles just to get circulation back in my legs. Your foot will be almost glued to the floor just to travel at 50mph.
In the next couple of days I will leave Soldotna and drive almost to Tok Alaska this is about 400 miles one way in one day in the deuce. I think you will have a wonderful trip, but you will have to give the body some rest. these rigs drain you on those days you do 400 to 500 miles. You are welcome to stay at my place if you are ever down on the Kenai Penninsula.

PM me before, you leave for Tok.

grizcty

I think I will start in SC at the Atlantic somewhere- probably Charleston. Easier to start here in Columbia, and drive to Charleston to get started, then Columbia to Miami.

Google maps would have me making most of the trip across Canada, going through Winnipeg. While I love the view up there, I would rather see more of America that I haven't been to. So I'm planning on driving across to Seattle, then going up through Canada to Alaska. I have looked into the ferry, but then it isn't 'driving' to the Arctic, is it? :wink:

So far my route will have me going like this- SC, NC, TN, KY, IL, MO, IA, SD, WY, MT, ID, WA, then Canada, BC, Yukon, then back to AK.

This is 5,700 miles. If I go up to Canada and cross near Winnipeg, it is only 4,900. I may go up through the U.S., then come back through Canada if my time is looking short.

Gimpy, I would love to have a better seat.

Lane, come on buddy! the more the merrier!
Hey partner,

Buy a book called the "Milepost".:idea:
The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner

They are NOT cheap.:roll:
But well worth the $, when needed!

It will have info on EVERY mile of the trip, from Canada to Alaska.
Fuel, food, fishing, repair shops, stores, lodges etc..

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kip, I'll be giving you a call.

Jim, I'm thinking about doing just that. But leaving an NDT track in the Artic would be cool. :-D

Chris, after talking to some people who have been there, I'm looking at maybe moving the date up to August.

Thanks for the info on Canada, I will have to check that out. Passport application is already in. :wink:

pilot

After making multiple AK, Yukon to North Dakota round trips the Flying J truck stop in Edmonton, Alberta was my last cheapest fueling heading north. I have been driving trucks towing trailers all grossing over 26000 pounds hauling our own stuff and pull into every open weigh station. One was manned by a new guy who had me buy some additional permits but thought I could probably get a refund. The Milepost book is an excellent idea, updated yearly. Canadian customs does not require a passport but I think it makes things go smoother and US customs do require a passport returning back to the US. Some fuel stations/restaurants/camping areas/motels are only open during the tourist season, roughly May thru September. The only problem we have encountered ,other than snow/ice in the mountains has been windshield rock hits ,my wife got 4 chips on one day while I got one. The only route we have not driven is the one that goes from Smithers to Watson Lake and our friends that have driven it preferred the more easterly roads. I will be heading back up in a week towing a 24' trailer to retrieve a wind wrecked Cessna 182 and more of our aircraft hangar equipment. If you look at a map of Devils Lake, North Dakota to Alaska there is almost a direct line of the road system so it is hard to get lost. The trip is definitely an adventure. We also drove one of our M543a2 wreckers from Anchorage to Delta Junction to Whitehorse to Skagway in September and the main irritation was frost heaves oh yeah and noise and rock hard seats.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you've done that trip many times.

Added to spares list- 2 windshields. :-D

Also another member had suggested headlight guards. I could whip some up out of expanded metal pretty quick.

iltis

hi
have bin this summer on the dalton hwy ,there is abaut 200 miles pavment and the rest is in great schape .fuel you get in fairbaks ,yukon river bridge, coltfood, dead horse i hope that helps good luck

jblack6527

Awesome idea!! I'd love to check the "I'll convoy with ya" option, but there's just no way I could miss over a month of work, have enough for spare parts, fuel, and not be up to my eyeballs in debt when I got back (or before I left).
I wish you the best of luck though!!!

Cucvnut

this sounds like a great idea! if i don't do my Cali to Virgina trip next year i could meet you in Seattle in my m1008 only a 2 day trip from San Jose. and follow you up to Alaska in my little truck !

Driving directionsfrom San jose to Prudhoe Bay, AK
3,617 mi – about 3 days 3 hours

Last edited:

AN/ARC186

I think I will start in SC at the Atlantic somewhere- probably Charleston. Easier to start here in Columbia, and drive to Charleston to get started, then Columbia to Miami.

Google maps would have me making most of the trip across Canada, going through Winnipeg. While I love the view up there, I would rather see more of America that I haven't been to. So I'm planning on driving across to Seattle, then going up through Canada to Alaska. I have looked into the ferry, but then it isn't 'driving' to the Arctic, is it? :wink:

So far my route will have me going like this- SC, NC, TN, KY, IL, MO, IA, SD, WY, MT, ID, WA, then Canada, BC, Yukon, then back to AK.

This is 5,700 miles. If I go up to Canada and cross near Winnipeg, it is only 4,900. I may go up through the U.S., then come back through Canada if my time is looking short
If you make it this way you're more than welcome to stop in for as long as you need,shop space and food will be waiting.

bubba_got_you

go for it but i wont be going with you. i would extend the time off because you don't want to be pressed for time and you need to allow for 2-3 days of rest time when you get back. and i need to say this last thing............................ARE YOU NUCKING FUTS!!!!! YOUR BUTT I GOING TO BE SORE FOR WEEKS!!!!!!!!!:wink::wink:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If you can wait till 2012 it will be the 70th anniversary of the Alcan. The MVPA did it back in 1992 and I think it is the planning stage to do it again. There was a lot of talk about it at the at the Evansville convention. Most of it was fired by the success of the Trans Continental convoy they did this year. I know our northern friends are thinking about it . Alcan Highway 2012...be there! - MLU FORUM
I am getting my M109 ready for it. First thing I am adding is an air seat!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks