• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help locating air tank for DTC 8606

wdbtchr

I've begun to get pin holes in the bottom of my airtank on my 8606 forklift. I've managed to get by plugging them with boiler plugs for now but I need to find a new or used tank.

I checked my parts list and it doesn't show an NSN for this tank. the manufacturer is listed as XBOZZ which I can't find on any of my lists of sources.

Anybody have a parts DTC 8606 with an airtank or any sugestions on where I can find one?

The tank is a two compartment one, about 28 inches long and 9 inches in diameter. Looking at the rear end there are two 3/4 inch ports on the right side at 3 o'clock. There are ports on the top, but I can't get to them to measure. I remember someonw on the list using a two part tank on his truck and thought it might be one of these.

I haven't had any luck calling the usual sources yet. Maybe someone has seen one of these Marine Corps forklifts sitting somewhere.

FrankUSMC

Yes, I saw one at the atlantic bombing range, it looked like if you put batteries in her, she would have fired up. I did get the bracket that hooks into the back that the pintol hook is bolted to.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

wdbtchr

Do you have the part number? Wayne
No, my parts manual doesn't list an NSN #. I was thumbing through the manual later and noticed the fuel tank and hydraulic tank don't list a number either. Not sure what his means, because I got my copy of the manuals direct from Entwhistle the manufacturer of the DTC 8606 forklift. When I contacted them they said they don't support that vehicle anymore.

I get the feeling that Defence Technology Corporation just assembled the parts from others. The engine is a Cummins 4BT, the transmission and transfer case are Clark, and the lift parts are pretty much off the shelf forklift parts. I haven't found out who made the axles yet.

wdbtchr

Yes, I saw one at the atlantic bombing range, it looked like if you put batteries in her, she would have fired up. I did get the bracket that hooks into the back that the pintol hook is bolted to.
Bombing range? That could be an interesting recovery, I bet they don't let just anyone poke around there. Can that be done legally?

FrankUSMC

David
It was parked in the lot with several trucks and tracked vehicles waiting it's turn to go out into the range. There was a beautiful rebuilt 5 ton cargo also in the lot. The last time I was there was about 5 years ago, so I am sure the air tank on it has bigger holes than the one on yours. Let me check with a freind who had the remains of one to see if he still has it. The down side is he scrap alot of his stuff when scrap metal was at the high mark.

wdbtchr

I'm pretty certain there are some scrap ones out there, I've seen about a dozen on GL and four or five on GSA in scrap condition in the last few months. It's just a matter of catching up with them. It looks like the Marines are getting rid of that model and replacing them with the 8607 mocel that has four wheel steering, they look identical otherwise.

I really like to keep it original is possible, but I may wind up mounting a tank on the back somewhere and repiping the air system. Space is so tight underneath, the air tank just fits between the transfer case in the back the front axle in front, the hydraulic tank outboard and misses the drive shaft inside by only 1/4 inch.

I've considered taking it out and cuttin' out the lower half and welding in new material, but the tank doesn't sound very thick to start with not like the ones on my 5 ton trucks.

wdbtchr

Just wanted to bring this back to the top. I'm having no luck finding a new tank. Has anyone seen one of these in a salvage yard? I sure hate to modify it if I don't absolutely have to, I now have three plugs in the bottom of the tank, this thing is going to look like a porcupine before long.

I'm thinking of pulling the drain valve on the wet side and squirting about an ounce or two of POR 15 in as far as I can get it and let it pool in the bottom around the boiler plugs. Maybe that will buy me some time.

wdbtchr

If it weren't for bad luck . . .

I finally got the holes patched with POR 15, while I was working on it I found a number that was stenciled on the tank. Wilson Company WM229S112016

Bad news is now the compressor has stopped working, the cover was gone off the governor and water had gotten inside and ate the spring. I don’t know what it’s failure did to the compressor, but it’s not pumping anymore. So now I’m looking for a compressor and governor also.

Here’s what I’ve got on them:

The compressor was made by Midland Brake, Inc. Model NT7523, 125 psi,
NSN 2530-311-0939, Compressor, reciprocating,8.5 CFM, 1250 rpm capacity. There is a tag on my compressor that says: Holset 7523D 113888, Part # 3558004

The governor was made by L-3 COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION
DBA COMBAT PROPULSION SYSTEMS NSN 2530-01-417-2238. The cage listing also includes Haldex Brake Products Corp. as a supplier.

Wish I’d had all this when I was calling around for a tank. Anybody got either one or both let me know, I’m shopping again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks