• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for suggestions on what to do with this nifty little gas-turbine genset...

dma251

So since I sold the hemtt there's been a big hole in my garage (and heart) so I took a road trip down to my favorite surplus yard with Stuart (the HEMTT's new papa) and picked up a new little toy to play with....

It's a nice little MEP-362A GPU powered by a Tiernay TT10-1 gas turbine that produces about 130 horsepower and weights (the turbine engine) about 65 lbs. Only has 22 hrs on the clock.

It powers a generator that produces 10kw of useless 28vdc @ 400hz....

So my question to all the fine minds of Steel Soldiers, is what should I do with it? I can leave it be and crank it up once in a while, but that isn't much fun...

What would you all do with one of these? It is absolutely useless the way it sits...

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking riding mower but now that Joel brought up the golf cart, I'm shopping for a small GPU. That would be a blast just watching the response on folks when you light that sucker up.

123mack

The gasoline powered gensets can be found pretty cheap. Take the generator out of one of them and hook it up to the turbine.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have kids, you could build them a kick a$$ go-kart!!

oh, 400hz DC???????? That was a typo right?

ida34

Go cart for sure. I would not put it back together as a genset. I bet it would suck the fuel quickly.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
28 volts DC is exactly what you need to power a telephone switchboard. It should also serve quite nicely to jump-start any vehicle with a 24 volt system. I have no idea where the "400 hz" figure came from unless the laws of physics have been amended since I studied it in high school. ;)

Last edited:

dc3coyote

The largest popcorn maker ever....a jet powered neighbor annoyer,, wind sock tester. The options are endless. Depending on the thrust it produces, how about making a airboat.

goldneagle

Why don't you swap out the generator head for an AC 60Hz. You can go bigger than 10KW with that much HP. My 45HP White Diesel is now hooked up to a 42KW CIVI generator head. (it was the smallest head that would fit the flywheel and bell housing)

I know Generac had a gas driven 15kw portable generator. They may have bigger ones that would hook up to the motor. I wonder how much fuel this motor consumes?

Chief_919

I have sold many 28V gensets to construction companies and heavy equipment dealers who use them to jumpstart heavy equipment.

This one already being on a nice small sized trailer it is perfect for that use.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
goldneagle, I don't know for sure, but I think the gen head swap would be impractical because of the speed at which the turbine would be turning. I think they turn pretty darn fast, and you would actually need to slow it way down to get to the 1800 or 3600 RPM range needed for a/c generation. Whereas DC doesn't matter about the speed.

dma251

goldneagle, I don't know for sure, but I think the gen head swap would be impractical because of the speed at which the turbine would be turning. I think they turn pretty darn fast, and you would actually need to slow it way down to get to the 1800 or 3600 RPM range needed for a/c generation. Whereas DC doesn't matter about the speed.

This is true - the output shaft turns at 12,000 rpm.

Wrench Wench

How about fab'in up a 1/4 scale M1A1 tank! LOL
Oh HELL YES!

I've been wanting to make a small squad of 1/12 scale M1A1 Abrams MBTs because at that scale a 10 mm handgun could easily stand in for the 120 mm cannon. Get some military school cadets and head out to the coal flats and have ourselves a mini-tank battle. Of course, mine would just be powered by a pair of stepper motors and a butt-load of batteries in the belly.

And, of course, there would be technologic means to prevent a tank from firing on organic targets.

Now, the big question, how to get your hands on a M230 chain gun... Anyone have an Apache DMA can strip in the middle of the night?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks