• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for suggestions on what to do with this nifty little gas-turbine genset...

goldneagle

Oh HELL YES!

I've been wanting to make a small squad of 1/12 scale M1A1 Abrams MBTs because at that scale a 10 mm handgun could easily stand in for the 120 mm cannon. Get some military school cadets and head out to the coal flats and have ourselves a mini-tank battle. Of course, mine would just be powered by a pair of stepper motors and a butt-load of batteries in the belly.

And, of course, there would be technologic means to prevent a tank from firing on organic targets.

Now, the big question, how to get your hands on a M230 chain gun... Anyone have an Apache DMA can strip in the middle of the night?
roflroflroflroflroflroflroflroflrofl

Whatever you're smokin' save me some! :p

Kevin Whitcomb

These are ALL excellent ideas BUT, you might want to take a look at selling it on ebay (the engine) for homebuilt aircraft use. Solar T62 turbines sell for quite a bit, I don't know about this one though.

A note on safety, there are parts than spin around in a jet turbine at incredible rpms and when something lets go it can be pretty catastrophic. be careful whatever you do with it!

deuce259

Man some how rig that up to a boat. I dont know how but can you imagine the looks you would get when you put the boat in at the ramp.

rwoods

"So my question to all the fine minds of Steel Soldiers, is what should I do with it?"

I don't qualify as a fine mind nor do I have first hand knowledge but I have mind drooled over these units for several years trying to think of a cool use - #1 thought has alway been a really fast kart. Unfortunately, my research indicates that these critters use a LOT of fuel, turn at 50,000 rpm (3 to 1 reduction brings output shaft down to 13,333 rpm) and have exhaust temps in the 600 to 700 degree range; all of which may render it impractical for compact mobile use. More importantly, there is a safety issue as these turbines are designed for constant speeds and may develop life threatening bad harmonics when run at speed outside the design range (faster or slower). I for one have decided that I don't want to sit next to a bomb even though I could go very fast and due to the heat no one would tailgate you even if they could. :cry:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man some how rig that up to a boat. I dont know how but can you imagine the looks you would get when you put the boat in at the ramp.
+1

I have seen that done, there is a guy in Portland who has a pleasure boat about 25' long that he powers with a turbine out of a helo.

It is amazing to watch that thing take off.

sdb3023

Popular Mechanics or PopSci had an artical about one of there editors building a ATV type thing ( the ones like JD Gators), it had a turbine engine that was geared down to power a hydrolic pump, thing was loud but did 60 MPH. my vote would be to use it power a deuce but its a little under powered for that so maybe a CUCV?

dma251

Vote number two for boat.

I would love a turbine powered boat, but since my last boat did 132 mph, I would be extremely dissapointed by any performance I would see out of a boat with this little engine on it. Lots of noise, not much go would be the result.

Now if it was a big GE T58 or something like that I would say sure....

The hydraulic pump idea is probably the best idea I've considered yet. By replacing the 28vdc generator with a hydraulic pump I would be able to have total control over whatever machine I was running, without the need for clutches or centrifugal transmissions. I could run the whole vehicle off hydraulic motors.... Also, I could leave the turbine engine in it's nifty little aluminum housing, which is very well designed to house everything needed. Just remove the trailer part, and integrate the enclosure onto the vehicle body....

Just ideas... Anyone know if a hydraulic pump can turn at 12K rpm? If I geared it down to a lower shaft speed I would be increasing the torque available, which would allow me to run a larger pump, so the vehicle could go faster/have more functions/etc.....

Maybe something small like a buggy.....

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt you'll find a 12K RPM hyd pump. Does the generator head spin at 12K also, or is it geared down some? If it's got some kind of reduction on it, you could just use what's already there.

Coldfusion21

Well, sounds like a good plan. Downside would be weight, of the hydraulics that is, in such a small vehicle (buggy).

I dont suppose a 130hp boat is probably of much use to you then...

Jet powered tractor? forklift? :-D

djimmy31

I have sold many 28V gensets to construction companies and heavy equipment dealers who use them to jumpstart heavy equipment.

This one already being on a nice small sized trailer it is perfect for that use.

So can these things be used to jumpstart 24 volt systems or 12 volt systems without modification? May be a dumb question but if you could get one for the right price it seems like it would be a cool thing to have in case the deuce needed a jump start.

airmech3839

We have AC generators on Garrett 36-100 and 36-150 and Army uses 36-50's for AC and DC generation. Since the engine puts out a constant RPM it is a perfect platform for a Generator. We have gearboxes that reduce to proper range. That is an Aircraft powercart any way for aircraft starting. I am not sure though how a civilian could get ahold of a cheap gearbox to make it work. Does it have a place for bleed air extraction...... could be used to power an aircraft type air conditioner!! Exhaust temps should only be in the 350 range not 700 or so...that would be high even for a jet on an aircraft except fighters. Well however it goes keep us informed!!

adrianspeeder

That is an Aircraft powercart any way for aircraft starting. I am not sure though how a civilian could get ahold of a cheap gearbox to make it work. Does it have a place for bleed air extraction...... could be used to power an aircraft type air conditioner!! Exhaust temps should only be in the 350 range not 700 or so...that would be high even for a jet on an aircraft except fighters. Well however it goes keep us informed!!
Not a DC cart. We use those to run hoists and lifts.

A -60 "huffer" for bleed air generation for engine start or enviornmental use is about twice the size of that, and has EGT of about 1200F and the bleed air temp of 300F.

Yes 700 is high for EGT on a jet, we do a motor change at 690something, but that is C not F.

Adrianspeeder

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks