• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for suggestions on what to do with this nifty little gas-turbine genset...

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It powers a generator that produces 10kw of useless 28vdc @ 400hz....
Not so useless!

What would be better for charging a battery bank for off the grid power?

28vdc is perfect for charging a 24vdc battery bank. You could combine it with solar and wind as the site allows, and use the genny to top off the batteries when needed.

With the upcoming winter in mind you could build a small scale version of those russian snow-blowers !
Imagine the looks on the neighbors faces when you blast the sidewalk with that thing!

Cheers,
Mark

Attachments

Last edited:

steelypip

Pretty much anything oily with appropriate adjustments. They're even more omnivorous than a diesel. Aviation jet fuel has anti-gelling additives and the like because it's cold at altitude, but is otherwise plain old kerosene.

Boreal21

How about a sand rail?

I saw a couple dozen of these turbine engines go up for auction from Hill Field here in UT. I wasn't thinking outside the box when they were up and only looked at them as a useless (to me) 400hz generator. I think they all went fairly cheap too :(

paradeduty

Just a thought Damon, if adapting it to a gearbox and then to a hyd pump seems a little involved - what about leaving it 28 volt. You already have the generator - an great source for constant 10K of 28V DC power - adapt it to a battery bank or something (mostly for starting and power loss - once its running with that output who cares about batteries). Maybe you could run vehicle X using 28 volt motors (thinking a "green" mule or CUCV" or something) or maybe a LARGE 28 volt motor to drive a hydraulic system to then drive/operate the vehicle. Not a very efficient energy conversion process to the wheels, but might simplify it for "real world" application.

Dave

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just bought one for starting my UH-1E Huey. I hope it works like they say it should.
I have a good battery, but the apu would help the intinal start and take alot of cranking load off the new battery.
Kevin..
ps, it looks cool too!...and sounds even better..

I work with turbines on a daily basis. Most of them being in the 200,000 hp and up power range. It is critical what speed this machine operates at. If the output is AC, then it would need to be some multiple of 1800, 3600 RPM... For a four pole or two pole generator to get 60 HZ. Otherwise, you would need a reduction gear to get the proper speed to supply a generator. (Most of these smaller units that I have seen run in the 5,000 rpm range). This is done all the time on the smaller heavy duty industrial turbine/generator sets. However, if this genset provides DC power, then turbine speed will control the generator voltage output (Lenz's Law states that the speed at which the magnetic lines of flux are cut, are directly proportional to the voltage induced). So, this VDC could power an inverter with DC input for AC output. Typically, these small turbines are designed to run at a fixed speed as they do not have variable inlet guide vanes for surge protection. Lots of complicated reasons normally associated to the limitations on proper compressor flow in such a manner that the compressor is not "surged" (a compressor back flow condition that is rather distractive, and that liberates blades). Keep in mind that turbines have a very large, multi stage compressor, with only 2 or 3 turbine stages that actually produce the power. The compressor part of the turbine will consume no less than 50% of the turbine power output.

While in college, way back in the early 70's, I had the opportunity to work with a bit of old military equipment that all ran on 400 HZ power, this stuff was mainly com, or radar gear. Most of these sets are made to provide output power to a shaft, so trying to use it strictly for thrust may be a problem with exhaust gas temperature (1000 deg F +). Used on a motor vehicle, this would toast the person's vehicle who is tailgating you.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
28 volt dc with 400 hz is what powers some of the avionics on a UH-1N helicopter. There is a standard plug in on the pilots side of thecenter console that looks like you can plug a radio into. Saw many a newbie plug in his radio and immediately let all the magic smoke out the back. If there is a large cable with a three hole plug on the end, that is a power set for providing ground power to UH-1'n H-3's and H-60's. probably a few others as well.

Last edited:

EnteJager

If it's 28VDC @ 10KW output, set it up as a backup genset for the house. There are inverters large enough.

The genset burns 56 lbs of fuel per hour, thtt's 8.2 gph. Thirsty little buggers.

I have one for starting a helicopter at work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks