• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for suggestions on what to do with this nifty little gas-turbine genset...

Guyfang

Staff member
guyfang is absolutely correct its AIRCRAFT or MiSSILE related. I worked GTC ,s Gas Powered Compressors and that's really what that is, I will offer just one caution They all turn at extremely high RPMS some as high as 40 thousand RPM on the rotors , inducer, exducer. You and me cant afford to do an overhaul, You and me don't have enough money to properly maintain one longterm. If your going tp reuse it in a way other than the way its designed at least ensure the needed auto shutdown and control / instruments are intact, REMEMBER , most DO NOT MEET CIVILIAN TURBINE CONTAINMENT STANDARDS in case of a shell out

Brothers and sisters, this is a warning you should ignore at your own risk. All our small turbines, (30 KW and smaller) were marked with two yellow lines. Standing between them was not a good idea. When you get a turbine burst, (and its not a matter of IF, its a matter of WHEN) the bits and pieces of the turbine wheel would come flying through the housing at about mach 2. Not good. It wasn't until we got the D424A engine, (rated at 150 KW, but could have pulled 300+ KW with ease) that this problem went away. The engine was made of cast iron. No part ever left the engine when we had a turbine burst.

As for upkeep, at 350 hours, on the D424A engine, we had to change the regenerator wheel seals, inner and outer. two sets per engine. Cost was about 14 thousand. Regen wheels were 7 thousand per wheel. Needed two. Fuel nozzle was 950.00 bucks. Burner can was 15 thousand, but when you turned the old one in, you got 8 thousand credit for it. Nothing is cheap in a turbine engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks