• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help in transport possibly for 818

Cam Morehead

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like you got one hit on your listing. I would never have thought you would get it done for $850. That is cheap! I did not check the exact mileage, but you can usually bet on $2/loaded mile and more like $3/loaded mile with a landoll. You are better off getting a guy with a step deck and ramps if you can get the trucks to drive on the trailer as it usually will be cheaper. If they truly are non-runners, you might have to bite the bullet and ante up the money for the landoll...or else you will have to get a wrecker to load the trucks for you on a step deck. I've done the latter more than once; a wrecker will run you in the $350-500 range for a couple of hours of work. They charge you by the hour once they leave their base of operations. Good luck with the recovery.

Cam Morehead

My truck runs perfect but I do not want to drive a 5 ton 717 miles. The crazy thing is that when we listed my truck by itself, the bidding was already down to $850. We figured if we doubled up that the price would be be close to the same and then we would just spilt the price. May just have my truck hauled by itself if it is going to double the price to throw a CUCV on the back.

nhdiesel

The biggest problem you are going to have with a "combined load" is that the route ends up much longer than a direct route...the first dropoff point isn't near a direct route between NJ and SC. That adds more than 200 miles to the trip. It also takes the trip off nice interstates and onto mostly secondary highways for the section from WV to SC. That extra stop in WV is adding a LOT of extra time and mileage, so also extra cost, to the recovery.

See the route you end up with:
map1.jpg

That CUCV isn't heavy or large, I would arrange the shipping for that separate from the 5-ton. Or at least arrange a dropoff point thats on the direct route for the 5-ton haul, and have it transported from there to WV on a rollback wrecker. Maybe drop the Blazer near Richmond, then have it hauled from there to WV.

Jim

Last edited:

nhdiesel

how about I drive the 818 for you?
If it were *my* truck, I'd hook the CUCV up with a tow bar & drive the 818. I haven't driven one yet, but from what I hear, they drive better than a Deuce, and I had no problem doing 500 miles in a Deuce the first time I ever drove one.

Jim

Cam Morehead

I really don't want my 818 driven home. I think everyone is correct about the "combined" thing. It was cheaper for me to just pay for my truck by itself. We tried it and it did not work. I have a SS member that offered to haul it for me so right now I am going with him. Thanks to him. Cam

fasttruck

i imagine the rate fior the M818 @ $850 is predicated on the assumption the truck will get another piece to go with it for a similar price which will then generate a doable rate to the truck fir the load.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks