• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pressurewasher sandblaster attachment

todds112

Dumb Question: How do you clean up the sand? Or do you?

Wish I would have known about these. I just finished my Pinz and stripped the whole thing with a wire wheel on a grinder. What a PITA that was. Can't imagine doing that on a M35!

shepsjeep

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you to all who responded to this thread!! Great info!

I just ordered mine today.

Getting ready to prep all three vehicles for paint and was not looking forward to the wire wheel....

emr

I have a mil pressur washer that stands 5ft high 6ft long and 4ft wide about and runs on 220 with all the attachments and books and hoses, never used, if interested e mail me for the rest of the info, i could mail pics by phone..... randyemr2aol.com fyi,.

BLKBRD

I’ve been looking for a way to get the CARC off my M35 for some time now. The blasting companies around here can do the small parts but none of them has a booth that the truck will fit inside; the closest is almost 4 feet too short. After reading the posts about using a pressure washer with a sand blasting wand from Northern Tool I was enthralled.

After getting everything together and finely getting a little free time today I gave it a try.
The first picture is of the left front duel rim. This was my worst one I counted 8 layers of Government paint on this thing. Picture 2 is after 10 mins work. Wow, what a difference. Picture 3 is of one of the panels on the left side bed, this one was better only 5 layers of paint. Picture 4 is after 3 mins. Areas that I thought were going to need body putty to make them look normal again, after blasting are only going to need paint.

I used a rust inhibiter after blasting and 1 bag of size 20 sand for both areas. Looks like I have to go back for some more sand, but at $3.50 a bag I don’t have a problem with that.:-D:-D:-D

Attachments

halftrack

I’ve been looking for a way to get the CARC off my M35 for some time now. The blasting companies around here can do the small parts but none of them has a booth that the truck will fit inside; the closest is almost 4 feet too short.
That is the first time I ever heard of blasting trucks or large items in a booth. Usually it is always done outside.

jesusgatos

Would I be crazy to try and take my M109 down to bare metal using one of these sandblaster pressurewasher attachments with a 2600psi / 2.6gpm pressure washer? I have access to a regular sandblasting setup, but I really like the idea of working with wet sand (less dust!).

Last edited:

dk8019

I did sections of my M814 using one, 2.6GPM, 2600PSI. It worked quite well I would say, got to keep that sand dry and flowing. I wore through one oriface eventually. It takes it down o metal quite easily.

I believe the mask issue isn't brought up because of the water. The process leave no dust after the fact, although pieces of wet sand have been none to impact me at high speeds...

MitchG

You don't really have to worry about breathing any dust when you use one of these. The water pretty much takes care of that. As for reusing the sand it just depends on where you are gonna do your blasting. If you are lucky eough to own or have access to a large concrete or asphalt pad you could let the sand dry and scoop it up filter it and reuse. Then though you would have the dust issue when you were trying to gather it all up. Most of the blasting I have done with mine has been outdoors in a grassy area and I don't worry about getting the sand up. The tank I rigged up to use mine with will hold around 300lbs of sand so you can blast for quite a while without having to worry about refilling. The key to keeping the sand flowing in my homemade rig is the tube at the bottom of the tank. It is done just like the siphon tube on a cabinet blaster. Just a piece of metal pipe with a hole in it to allow air to be drawn in to help suck the sand to the nozzle. I can't recall having any issues with being able to draw sand and I use regular blasting sand mainly in mine. I think it's BX60? Does that sound right? Not sure about that number. If you want to see any more views of mine let me know and I'll snap a few more photo's. I have a really low patent fee on my design!!! :-D

BLKBRD

I'm from Tulsa and around here blasting isn't done outside, don't know if it's the city, OHSA or both. I know that under OHSA rules sand is considered a hazardous material because it contains silica and that can cause Silicosis. Had a friend that ran a one man blasting company and got cited by OHSA for not having a warning sign in his sand pile that he used for blasting.

Using water there isn’t any dust but using a face shield is a must because of the sand blowback. I started out using safety gaggles but realized quickly that I needed more. Sand doesn’t hurt the exposed arms. Wearing a hat is a good idea or have an air source so you can blow the sand out of your hair.

MitchG

Go back to page 4 of this post, number 33 I think and you can see some pics of the tank setup. I'll get some closeups of the pickup tube at the bottom of the tank and post them later today.
Like BLKBRD said you do need at least a face shield. I forgot to mention that in my earlier post. I use a blasting hood that I got form Northern or Harbor Freight. It has a hard hat inside and really helps keep the sand and stuff off your head. Since I don't have any hair I don't have to worry too much about that!!! It will blow wet sand all over you though. A cheap rain suit and rubber boots help as well.

SuperJoe

so whats the follow ups on this tool. there was a bunch of hype about it in the beginning but then what happened? also why are the reviews on the northern site sound so poor and you guys have a much better review

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks