• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WTH, Found a tank today.

saddamsnightmare

September 19th, 2009.

Thank you USAFSS-ColdWarrior:

Giving credit where credit is due, you know most of us would love to have an M-60, and the honeyfugle is from West Virginia, my home, I just happen to be hiding out in Texas until me and my trucks end up somewhere else. Sometimes its just easier being civil while one tries to convey a truth. I stand ,sir, in your shade.

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm curious about how you got those aerial photos. I tried looking up NAPA stores in Frodo's area in Google Earth, but the imagery in that area was too low-res to make out vehicles.

Anyway, cool find, Frodo! I'm drooling over that tank! :drool:

As a rule, most, not all, better than Google pics can be obtained on Bing Maps. I like the 360 look they have and the images appear to be at least 18 months fresher of known to me sites.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Looking at picture 12 it appears that it has not been completely demilled as it still has the 105 telescope for the main gun and the junction box for the grunt phone on the right rear fender. No telling what other items are still in it. Only reason I know is I had to demill our home station M60 before we turned it over to a VFW. Could still have the intercom, gunner sight, breach block. How come you didn't climb up and look in the open gunner hatch? Brings back alot of good and bad memories.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to start crawling behind the NAPA stores in my area.
Does anyone have the civilian part number for that NAPA part?
Has anyone titled that in their state - think we could call it home-built?

Sharp eyes, and I'm in for shares at the scrap value if the paper trail checks out. I'd provide the parking place in my motorpool, but I think it's bigger than my M818 can tow.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
As a rule, most, not all, better than Google pics can be obtained on Bing Maps. I like the 360 look they have and the images appear to be at least 18 months fresher of known to me sites.
Thanks for the tip! I found the tank in Bing's birds-eye view mode.

The imagery for my home isn't any newer than the imagery that Google has (which shortly pre-dates the beginning of my home construction), but the birds-eye view is pretty neat. In the aerial view that both Google and Bing have, you can see that I have trucks and sea containers if you know what you're looking for. In the Bing birds-eye view, you can actually recognize my deuce, HMMWV, wrecker, etc. Cool! Old picture saved for posterity now. :wink:

If that tank wasn't on the opposite end of the country from me, I'd consider chipping in for a share if it was for sale and the paper trail was clean. Sigh.

Tankjeepman

Pretty sure it is a M60A1. There is a bore evaluator in the middle of the cannon so it is a 105mm. One pic shows the straight front armor and there is a shock on the first road wheel so most likely M60A1.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say the odds of someone having the correct ownership papers for an M60 would be just about nil. It would still be fun to get to play with for a spell before the black suburban showed up. None of the hatches are welded shut?

JB

Looks like an early M60 to me. They had the M48 turrets with the 60 commanders cupola IIRC, but the front plate in front of the driver is flat like the 60 and not rounded like the 48.

Reactions: art
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks