• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there any room M915 Tractors

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I just purchased one last month from GL Redstone in AL, there were two more that sold on the same sale, one was a parts truck. Same buyer got both.

I am chomping at the bit to get it but my EUC has not cleared yet.

Mine has the 5 speed tranny vs the 15 Speed Cat that I drove in the Army.

There was one at the MVPA convention in Evansville that had some great mods...it was air conditioned and had very nice air ride seats in it......not like the ones we drove at FT Benning.

As many as have sold in the last year there should be some other SS members that have one.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think there are about 8 Steel Soldiers members that have 915s. Do a quick search and you will find who they are. The gov't just sold about 25 running driving 915's, some from the Illinois National Guard and some from the Idaho National Guard. All were A1's with the Allison tranny. Mine is from the Illinois NG and is somewhat rusty, but I am fixing that right now. It has been a bit of an ordeal to get legal with the truck, including DOT registration and $750,000 commercial liability policy. I love how that big Cummins runs, and the power just pours on like a big dog . . . They have been selling under $5k. Jump in, the water's fine, but you already know that . . .

reb87

The cat is nice for the extra gears but the allison is nice for driving. Im having some probs with my cat not shifting unless air is at over 100psi which is distracting when driving in town. Ill have to pull it apart after harvest. 4th 9th and 11th always work so at least I have that. I put taller tires on my A1 so I can run 65mph@2100rpm.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Yes I am 88M to the bone. I had a laundry list of a military license.
My DA Form 348 (Military Driving Record) was three pages long. I was a Master Driver and Drivers License Examiner...I had to be licensed on everything I had to test people on.
Since I did 2 1/2 years in Korea I was licensed on the Korean busses (Kimchee Coaches) and I even had a licence for the "Rice Paddy Assault Vehicle" (the Korean tractors that were all over the road over there).

I need the primary air tank (located next to the air dryer) if anyone has a parts truck they are stripping. As far as I know that is all it needs to be Mission Capable. I would love to have it ready to take to Clinto's Rally at the end of Oct.
Since I live in Alabama I am planning on putting a farm tag on mine and using my Progressive policy (the one I have the 816 under) for insurance.

I was in Korea. I was NG before I went active. When I was sent to our master driver for my license, he didn't know I had spent the last two and a half years chasing Abrams and Bradley s around central Oregon, or that I got most of my drivers training from third shop mechanic's. The MD said if you ford the creek with out losing this deuce, I'll sign off the other test I'm supposed to give you...:twisted: I got my license:-D.

MilitaryVehicleWeb

I see some M915 have a Cat trans and some have different versions of the Cummins engine. One of the Cummins is a big cam 400 , any advantage on either engines or transmissions.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of opinions on the transmissions here in this community. The two Cummins engines are essentially the same. The Cat transmission has reliability issues until a very labor intensive and expensive overhaul has been done to the pneumatic valve body. The Allison auto is completely reliable, but has no overdrive gear, limiting the truck's top speed to around 58 mph @ 2200 RPM.

AMGeneral

Any issues with the two different Cummins engines? I'm not sure about the Detroit engine, any info on the Detroit ??
The earlier 60 series Detroits had problems with the front covers warping and leaking oil(typical Detroit),other than that they are a far cry from their 2 stroke ancestors.

The 400 BC engines are almost bulletproof if taken care of and maintained.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks