• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Burma Dodge

JeremyB

Hello all, I was wondering if you all knew is there are any of the Burma dodges that returned to the USA after the war or went into civilian circulation? I would like to get a new project and they look worth the effort.

Thank you.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'm a great admirer of old Dodge trucks, both civvy and military, but I'm afraid I never heard of a Burma Dodge. If you are referring to the "Burma Jeeps," they were built by Ford. There weren't a lot of them built, but those that survived the war intact were returned to the States and eventually surplussed out. Some are still around, both restored and awaiting salvation.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Okay....I goofed! :oops: I did a little research and found that Dodge built some WC62 1 1/2 ton trucks with right-hand drive specifically for use in the CBI theater. Burma and India were still British Crown Colonies at the time, so driving on the left side of the road was required. (Right-and drive vehicles make it much easier to remember which side of the road you're supposed to be on!) I've never seen a RHD WC62 in this country, but that's not to say that one doesn't exist.

JeremyB

I just thought the novelty of having one would be worth the trouble. That and a relative was a rather high rainking officer in that theatre.:wink:

Gordon_M

WC 62 it isn't, by a long way

BURMA DODGE TRUCKS

These have the big 331 cu in six in them, 190" wheelbase, and they all went to that theatre to work. The only known location for survivors is Australia, where there are a handful.

Charles bought one in Australia and brought it back to the US to restore. The 331 cu in stuff never was common ( I know of one other contemporary Dodge here in the UK with that engine ) so I believe he bought another 331 civilian truck just for spares. Right-Hand-Drive specific parts would be a problem for that size.

If you really want one, look on the Maple Leaf Up Forum, but be aware you'd have to buy a hulk in Australia, ship it back, and spend a lot of time and money on parts.

Gordon

68427vette

friend in dayton ohio, yeap charles, 45 minutes away , imported one,, i think its a 2-3 ton,, the front fenders have wing skirts,in the front,, fenders swoop down, hard to describe,, i'll be doing the sandblasting on it,, he paid almost 10K to import it,, 2000 to move it to port, 3 to ship, 1500 to spray it of in the USA, 2500 to ship,, etc,, stick with a WC,, is the point,, it is cool, coming from a bigtime dodge collector,, i think its right hand drive,, click here: BURMA DODGE TRUCKS
... or when i get his frame etc,, i'll snp a few shots.. jc

WC62 is a 6x6 without winch?? The Burma Dodges are a closed cab 4x4 rated at 3 ton. they use the same cab as the civvy '42 - '47 cab, 331 engine with clark 5 speed trans on 10 stud wheels in RHD configuration. Front looks much like a '50's flat fender Power Wagon. They were built and supplied to Chinese order for the Burma Road project. Not sure how many survive, but some were shipped to Australia where they were surplussed out, usually becoming logging trucks or semi's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks