• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 gun truck

charlietango

M1009 gun truck/ rack photo's added

Pictures from our latest MILSIM op. so far it is make shift (had to get it done fast). Found a donor civi top at the scrap yard for $30. Will be "up armoring" it this winter and have more pictures up.

Attachments

Last edited:

charlietango

lol
well the solid top is bolted on right now and the neighbors might not like the sight of a 60 on the street.

sorry I thought a couple was better than none.. :-D if you can wait till spring it will look a whole less 'bush style' and more milspec

niferous

Are you running supports down to the floor and securing it to the frame at all? This way the weight of the turret it not on the fiberglass? Also I'm curious as to why your feed tray is mounted on the gunners right? The M60 feeds from the gunners left side. Or am I just looking at the pictures wrong and it's not a feed tray at all? :-D I have found that mounting weapons systems to anything but steel usually leads to the weapon shaking more than if it was mounted more securely. Also I've seen them tear really this sheet metal on pickup truck beds from continued firing. Not to mention the weight of the turret on the fiberglass. Not trying to critique so much as just adding my ideas from past experiences.

Bobert

What did you use for the hatch? I already cut a hole in my roof, but I am undecided how to do it. I think yours looks great.

Do you have any rough dimensions?

bbbang

I like it and should be a fun shooting platform I am looking at doing something similar on a spare top I have for a M1009. I would like info on what and how you did your hatch. I've got a couple of different ideas on the hatch but nothing I like really well. This set up is an encouragement to get going on that project. Have fun shooting. Chris

kentuckycucv

My dream come true.... have thought about this a lot and have searched the internet to see if there were ever any m1009 weapon systems. I have wanted to put a machine gun ring in my truck since I got it... Post more pics please.:-D:-D:-D

charlietango

OK I promise to get more photo's once the opportunity arrises.

Right now, to answer your question about stability, it is just two 3/4" plywood sheets bolted to make a fiberglass sandwich. A real 60 would shred that in minutes. The stability will come later when we basically make a roll cage underneath the rear canopy. this will bolt in at 4 (or 6) points to the floor following the natural shape of the canopy. The turret will then be affixed to the cage (with ~8 chassis bolts and wing nuts for removal) and not the roof of the truck at all. That way I can make a top switch back to none-turret for daily stuff. The hole was cut at ~ 30 inch diameter. The 2 pieces of round flanged steel that we used to make the actual turret itself were a donation from a mill that makes industrial ducting (Alphair alphair ventilating systems Inc. here in Winnipeg). Built light duty we used old tool box castors as the runners on the bottom half, placed the top ring in and welded hold-in tabs so it cant lift off. The hatch right now is made of ply-wood but that will change over the winter. WRT the ammo can holder my buddy tried to surprise me by doing that one night... except he mounted it to the wrong side. it will be re-mounted in-between the diagonal support that makes up the gun mount. oops! thanks Chad you meant well.

so all in all it is all show, no go. the construction is OK this light duty for me because the 60 is an airsoft firing model and does not have any vicious recoil. It is surprisingly stable just bolted to the fiberglass! if it was just for show it would be fine however the same design can be made with re-enforced parts. adding the roll cage mounted ring will get it further to actual functional.

Winter plans:

Side windows will be deleted/reenforced sheet metal will cover.
rear window will have a top hinge re-enforced sheet metal cover.
cage turret mount installed to truck chassis
metal hatch with added flip up side protection
fixed ammo-can location
front towards enemy deflector with 60 mount :twisted:

ABN173

I saw some HMMWV tops with turret rings (old 998 style with strap seat) being tossed in the metal scrap bin I went back to get one the next day and it had been cleaned out already. I have been thinking of doing the same type thing in the future when I get another M1009 (I have a M1008 now) I don't know if the army ever modified a cucv like this but I bet someone has, in Desert Storm we had a M1008 with the windshield removed and a M60 tripod bolted to the hood. Yes both the Driver and TC had to wear goggles. Anyway the idea was that the TC would lean out on the hood and fire the 60. We were also mounting a pintle in the rear bed for 2nd gun. We were in a LRSD unit so somebody approved the mods on them. I'm betting it was on a local command level though..... say Division or lower but I'm not sure.

Anyway the truck looks cool!

Dale

Last edited:

CDN-CUCV

I'm all over this! I'm going to look at a M998 gunring Monday and (god willing) persuede the owner to part with it for a fair price.

I'd like to do the same with my M1009, sim-armoured rear window and sides, metal-mesh the windshield, servo-electric remote spotlight, and a few other goodies.

Looking forward to more updates!!:smile:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks