• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extra storage

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Basically, I cut the front tabs off and found some "L" brackets that worked well. Let me know if you need pics.

Edit, see post #21

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want greasy hands cleaned up lickity split, just go eat a pizza. Pizza grease dissolves the funk on contact.

pegasus55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great idea!
I like the idea of using the area occupied by the pioneer rack for hanging a storage box. Added to the list.... [thumbzup]

o1951

It's "wing night" at the bar tonight. I always hate how messy my hands are after eating a few dozen hot wings.

I think I'll bring gloves tonight and see what happens!!
Bring your proctologist gloves. Can just throw them away when done, or since already greased, use them for purpose intended.
Bring your Proctologist gloves. Just throw them away when done.

Last edited:

goldneagle

I did this mod to my M820 truck years ago. I also installed it on my M109A2 truck. I don't like it cause it is not rain resistant. Even with the foam weather stripping it still leaks! Need more drain holes on the bottom! Anyway I am planning to remove mine from the truck. I want to install a RV generator in that spot or a larger tool box 30 x 24 x 24. Willing to let it go for $75 plus the ride. PM me if interested.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Finally finished mine.

I wanted to run a mudflap, but I didn't have the heart to cut up one of my original mudflaps so I made one from a rusty door I had laying around. To run an original mudflap, you'd have to cut a lot of the strengthening ribs out of. Added the pioneer rack holes and the dropside rubber stopper, of course.

IMAG0699.jpgIMAG0698.jpgIMAG0668.jpgIMAG0667.jpg

I also had to figure out how to add the side marker light. Tried everything (hinged mount, etc.) and eventually decided only choice was to section the door down and make it smaller or mount the light to the door.

Used the 2 mounting ears I cut off and remounted them where I needed them to be.

Getting the spare on and off now will involve a 1 1/4" wrench as opposed to an impact and a socket.

IMAG0703.jpgIMAG0701.jpgIMAG0697.jpgIMAG0696.jpgIMAG0695.jpg

gimpyrobb

In pic #6, is there only 2 "L" brackets holding the box at the front? Your gonna want another farther back.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
In pic #6, is there only 2 "L" brackets holding the box at the front? Your gonna want another farther back.
The rear of the box is being supported by the top of the spare tire mount.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
While I understand you don't "use" your deuce like I do, I think that is a bad idear.
Do you mean in terms of:

A. An issue with it touching the spare tire mount?
B. An issue of insufficient support?

I kept angling the box and trying to get it to fit in a different way and it more or less ended up this way every time.

I can always add additional mounts.

Thanks

gimpyrobb

I know I use my truck in a slightly more off-road terrain than you, so it might not be an issue for you, but my spare tire holder has pushed a fair amount of "clearance" into my box. With all the tools I carry in mine, I would be afraid those mounts up front might rip out. I will try to get pics tomorrow.

EdwardThirlwall

So awesome to see all the posted pics here, it's really given me a better idea of how to get started! Looks like a lot of the finished products really turned out pretty well too. For the storage boxes, were there any particular ones in terms of size and material that you looked for? I am worried about the durability and want to make sure that i've got as much info as possible before getting started on anything. This forum has been really helpful! Thanks guys!

gimpyrobb

The one I installed has held up very well. I take my truck on some rough trails and it has not caused one problem yet. I did have a stump that bent the latch holding the door shut, but I was able to bend it back into shape.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks