• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 gun trucks in Vietnam

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would like to know more information about the gun trucks in Vietnam, built on the M37 3/4-ton chassis. There were a few made in country, some pics I have of them are below. There is only one reproduction M37 gun truck, the Malfunction, in existence. I would like some more detailed pics, both of Malfunction and of original ones, as I would like to build another M37 gun truck before Aberdeen next year.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Building one is a good idea, and there should be more info out there. The "Guntruck" books don't seem to do them justice, and mention them as almost an afterthought. I'm planning on building one as well. Have three "37's", one will be kept original, its a nice unit, one is a 'guntruck' adaptation candidate, and the third is a donor for the other two as needed.
Matter of fact, Maddawg has more pics than I've seen most places. I especially like "Godzilla" and while its not the 'neatest' obviously, I've found the one I'll built. "Godzilla" has been my 'hero' since Viet Nam. He was the topic of a strange conversation in abunker during one particular rocket attack. The talk was of what it would take to get it stopped, and the battleship "New Jersey" was mentioned as well as an AC-47 and some other things. Then along came the mention of "GZ" and what he did to Tokyo, and "what he could do in short order to a S--t hole' of a country like this", and it had us laughing hard enough we sort of forgot about what was going on outside. (that and some 'jungle juice')

Driver523

Great goin guys---I'll go back through my photos later and post some M-37 gun trucks--I have those above cept for one and may not have many more--I do know I have one called Mean Green I think---By the way Malfunction was my truck after the 5 ton Match Box---Malfunction started out as Wild Thing then became Malfunction then Daughter of Darkness---that white west coast mirrior on the drivers side is the give away---got some stuff to do but I'll be back later------Driver

Driver523

Couldn't wait--here's a few I'll post more later---one is a double but has an explanation under the photo---its the 3/4 that Lt. Baird was in during the ambush that Satans Lil Angel was destroyed in during Lam Son and is in that little deal I wrote awhile back---enjoy the pics-------Driver

Attachments

WarrenD

Looks like an interesting project. From the photos, it looks like they were all field made, each one seems a little different.

FrankUSMC

Some one years ago wrote a very good story for Army Motors (MVPA) about the armor kit that was made for the M37. The story broke the kit down, and showed how it was mounted on the M37. I do remember the kit did come with alot of shims for fitting the armor.
That is the good news, the bad news is, I have been with the MVPA.....and all it's other names for over 25 years and do not have a clue what issue of Army Motors it was in.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
The CAMO crew is building the Daughter of Darkness (was Wild Thing...then Malfunction...then Daughter of Darkness). She is ready for the armor as I type.

So...don't anybody get M37 Guntruck happy and build the DOD or we will have to turn two 5ton GTs loose on ya!!:-D

Driver523

Here you go Papabear---not sure just which ones you have so I'll include what I have for your project also, You have my email and number so if there is something you would like that may be better sent in email just let me know, as with Proud you got another great one going------and again----THANKS-----------Remember gang--if anyone builds Wild Thing pay attention to all the photos of Malfunction and Daughter of Darkness, there were little differences between all three of these trucks-----Driver

Attachments

Last edited:

Driver523

Here's a couple different photos----the first shows the best shot of the inside of one I have, there is alot of stuff in the gun box but that is because they are moving north for the operation Lam Son 719, so he has all his belongings in there, but the truck is Wild Honey and you can see the radio placement-----the next photo is the only photo I have of Excaliber and its not very good, its in the background behind Mr. Nice-------Driver

Attachments

Driver523

Here's one called Otto---great looking truck and I have heard there are plans by someone to build it in New Jersey, In fact they want these photos, I met one of the crew of this truck at one of the Gatherings-----again, I hope you enjoy------Driver

Attachments

Driver523

In looking through my photos I run across this----I knew the Eve of Destruction generally had red mounts and when I pulled this photo of Mr. Nice up I new I had seen this twin M-60 mount, When Eve was shipped back to the museum at Fort Eustis with four 50 cals. on it guess what truck ( it looks like ) got the twin 60 mount???-----I have no idea what went wrong with the rear end in Mr. Nice------Driver

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hey Driver...there is NO way I can afford two landolls hauling the 5ton GTs to PA next year unless business triples....BUT!!!
I am now thinking maybe one trailer with 1 5ton GT and the DOD...now that will fit nicely:-D
Then of course the Gunjeep on the trailer behind my pickup.

Whacha think about that plan?

Oh...and thanks for the pics...gonna need them:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks