• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 gun trucks in Vietnam

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question on the windshield armor - looks like there are thick plastic or glass blocks installed in the driver's and passenger's windows instead of the normal glass. What are those blocks? Standard off-the-shelf items or were they custom made for the application?

Danger Ranger

OK, so I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to let Driver know that I believe this is the best, most complete collection of M37 guntruck pictures I have found anywhere (outside of books, as I haven't picked one up yet). This was very useful, and fun to look at! THANKS![thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup]:driver:

Driver523

Mad Dog Those glass blocks were just that, I counted the number of glass layers one time on Eve but where thats at who knows, We called em vision blocks, layers of glass with a film between, some trucks put them to the inside others out, they were included in the armor kits-----it was kinda a love hate thing, loved em most the time but at night in the rain they were awful, they were scratched up and you all know how well those wipers work and less then half the size wiper blade----they fit in a channel with a opening of about 9"X19"-------- Thanks Danger Ranger, I am fortunate to have met and talked with alot of fine Vets and to be able to copy their entire albums---many many fine photos------Driver

Driver, in your pix of Otto, the bumper clearly shows 64th. I always remembered it being 64th but have seen some posts on some other sites that said 359th. Do you know if it was ever anywhere but 64th?

Driver523

NO I don't Rich----James lists it in his book as 359th, but there was that QNSC (QUI Nhon Support Command) and things got switched around a bunch, that'll be a good one to work on----I'll call Lofts I remember him talking about Otto----Good to hear from ya Rich---going to the Gathering this year??--------------Driver

Yeah Driver, already got my room reserved and vacation time scheduled. My old Platoon Leader, Al Greene, is also planning to be there. I think I've mentioned before that he was CC the day of the Minny's heli. crash. Waiting for August. Just another idea, but how about at the Gathering, guys put thier usernames from the various websites on thier name tags so we can make the connection with who we're seeing on the net.

Hello everyone. I hope I am not inopportune and that you excuse my English. I am a collector and builder of military vehicles... to scale. Right now I'm trying to reproduce an M37 guntruck in Vietnam that you know well: Daughter of darkness.
I have consulted stories and photographic material but I cannot clear up some details of its construction, and I would like to know if you could help me.

In the photos that I have attached I have indicated the mount of the weapon in the front: in some photos it is not visible, in others it seems to be attached to the windshield...? was the mount, detachable?
And there is also a plate attached to the inside that protrudes from the side armor on the right side only? What was it or what did it correspond to inside?

I thank you in advance for your attention and if possible, for your help.

Fernando, from La Plata (B.A. - Argentina)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks