• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I cant get insurance!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigfoot63

Try USAA I have heard that they are now insuring our types of vechicles. If not they are very helpful in finding someone who will. Phone 1-800-531-8111 for auto & property insurance. Good luck

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll more than likely need a commercial policy if using it for work. Call your regular agent and ask them to point you in the right direction.

Carl_in_NH

State Farm worked for me. I switched everything over to them once I found out they would cover my deuce - although I'm not using it for business, they have no restrictions on my personal use of it.

nhdiesel

I need to call my company (Progressive) to try to get insurance. My problem is, I don't have the info on my truck! The less than helpful GL description doesn't even list the mfg. of mine, and as usual no year. I know I'll get all that (hopefully) when the EUC is approved and I get my final paperwork, but by then I'll have 14 days to get insurance, register it, make arrangements for my friend to pick it up, etc.

How have people done it when you don't know the specifics of the truck?

Jim

stumps

Gulfway insurance. Cheapest I've found for it.
Gulfway is inexpensive, usually under $200/year, but they won't insure you if you haul anything in your truck. I specifically asked: no firewood, no lumber, no furniture, no building materials, no trash. The only exception is you can haul a historic tractor, or a historic vehicle in your historic vehicle... which of course isn't allowed with historic, or mv plates. If you tow a trailer, you have to identify the specific trailer. They won't automatically insure you to tow trailers. They say that they will not insure any vehicle that has living quarters within it, or allow you to tow any trailer that has living quarters within it.

I'm still looking for something that will allow me to haul for my own personal use, but doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

-Chuck

nhdiesel

Well my phone call to my Progressive local agent was much easier than I would have thought. Here is the total conversation:

Her: Hello?
Me: Hi, I need a quote for adding a vehicle. (gave my name)
Her: O.K., and what kind of vehicle are you adding?
Me: Well this is going to be a little interesting. I don't have all of the info yet, I bought it from an auction and they will be sending me the paperwork. But I can give an example of the vehicle so you can check on it.
Her: O.K., Make, model, and year?
Me: 1970 AM General M35A2
Her: Huh? What type of vehicle is that?
Me: Kind of an old cargo truck, its kind of like an old farm truck.
Her: Oh, O.K.
Me: Sorry I don't have all the info, I'm trying to get the initial legwork done to be prepared. I have no idea when the paperwork will arrive, and once it does, I'll have 14 days to register, insure, and pick this up in Kentucky.
Her: Oh. Wow. Well it comes up to around $180 extra a year added to your auto policy.
Me: Thanks. (got her name) I'll call back when I get the paperwork. Thanks again!

I'm pretty shocked at the price. I'm a 38 yo. male, a few speeding tickets on my record, no accidents in many years. This policy is for my wife and I as drivers. No questions as to how many miles a year I'll be driving it, GVW, whatever. I'm sure those details will be asked when the policy is actually written.

Jim

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NHDiesel, not trying to rain on your parade but there was one important item that was not mentioned in your call to Progressive and that's the GVWR of the vehicle. I have my 1962 Dodge C700 with a 25,000 pound GVWR rating insured with them and it had to be done as a commercial policy due to the weight rating. Costs me about $600 a year and seeing as how I live in Alaska that's a darn good deal.

Ruppster
www.dodge-semis.com

TexAndy

Progressive won't insure military vehicles. And they won't insure anything over a certain weight as a private vehicle. I think it's 12k (at least here in Texas) where they refer you to their commercial vehicle insurance.

Regarding USAA, I talked to them a few months back about insuring my deuce through them and the lady told me that they didn't insure them NOW, but that because they've gotten this request from more than one person and the fact that the risk is actually quite low, they're trying to put together an insurance program for these former military vehicles.

She told me to check back in september or october, which I have not yet done. I've been too busy and ended up going with Victoria insurance in the meantime ($380 for a year... and it's commercial insurance, too!), but I'm sure if one of ya'll called them up and asked for an update, they'd be happy to do so.

nhdiesel

I wonder if it varies by state. She knows its a big old farm truck, and I wasn't offering anything extra...just answering her questions. Here in N.H., the state doesn't consider anything under 26k as commercial unless you specifically request it (in other words, it doesn't matter if its a 5k lb. Toyota pickup or a 25k lb. hauler, its only considered commercial if you specify that you are using it for business use.) Thats for the state, now its a matter of whether the ins. companies follow the state or do their own thing.

Edit: If insurance becomes too much of a hassle, I'll skip it. N.H. doesn't require it anyway, as long as I can get it off the base...and we've never been asked for ins. paperwork yet at any base we've gone to, either for our vehicle or the one being recovered. But I would feel better if I have insurance.

Jim

Last edited:

Alredneck

Banned
USAA isnt carying it yet but thats who I have my insurance with, they sub it out to Progressive for a commercial policy or another company for historic/antiques. My commercial is like 80 a month I think and i have half a dozen trucks on it so they are reasonable and dont have the limitations the historic policies do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks