• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CCKW wrecker set #7

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Does anyone have a source for the hardware to install these?

I assume these use square u-bolts to mount. The "U" portion goes under the frame and comes up through the bottom of the bed and through the bottom of the hoist leg?

I went to Fastenal today and priced the u-bolts: 1/2" shank, 22" long, 3.25" spacing and it's $32 PER U-BOLT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So obviously I want to find a cheaper alternative. Can anyone help me?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Try a truck spring shop? They might be able to make them.

I am going to call my local driveshaft shop tomorrow.

A spring shop is the way to go. What type of bed do you have, it changes the hardware you will need. Is it on a CCKW or a post-war M truck.
I have a later M44 series bed, an M35A2.

Thanks

C

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am going to call my local driveshaft shop tomorrow.
Smallest my local shop could do in that length was 5/8" shaft.

$140 for a set of 4.

So I am still looking for a lower priced alternative.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have been working on getting my #7 operational. I couldn't mount it to the bed the way it mounts to the CCKW bed (I have see the schematic showing how it originally mounts) so I used some super heavy duty fine pitch, grade 8 5/8" rods and buckle plates to mount it to the bed frame. I couldn't run it under the truck frame like I wanted to because of obstructions like the suspension bumper, frame tie downs and the upper torque rod on the driver's side. But I think it's done pretty well. I definitely want to be able to lift heavy stuff with it and not run into problems. I painted the hardware after test fitting it so it wouldn't rust.

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I need some help from you WWII #7 guys.

I am getting my #7 operational and I've got an issue with the chain fall and I can't find the TM for the hoist itself.

When I got it, the wheel where the chain would go for you to crank it up and down was missing the chain and the wheel was wobbly. I figured there was a bad bearing and it has lost some of the balls (like a tranny with a broken input bearing retainer that allows the front bearing to fail) but when I took it apart today, I see there is no bearing.

The wheel is threaded and so id the shaft it goes on. It looks like it's designed for the wheel to thread on and off. There is a gear with a lock (similar to a come along) which must be some kind of a brake but it's currently seized.

Once I had the wheel off, the hoist appears to work fine (see video).

But with the wheel on, you can run the hoist one direction (counter clockwise, where the wheel is trying ot come off via the threads) but if you run it the other way, it tightens up and seizes.

What am I missing? Is there a missing part?

Also, are the trolley plates where the rollers attach supposed to be arched like mine (see image XXXX) or did mine get overloaded at some point?

Last question: How much side to side play should be in the main shaft? See video.

Much thanks fellas

C

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fD8Hfl4w7U[/media]

Attachments

swordmd

My chain hoist is made by Ford but looks a lot like yours. The side plates are flat on mine not bent. For M34 and M35 trucks the mounting info is in TB 9-4910-492-30 Nov 70 it can be printed from the resources on this site.

swordmd

Here is some info from the hoist on a M548 I use to have it is only 3/4 ton but may be it will help. also Yale Industrial Products Inc. Forrest City, Arkansas 72335 They may still may have the Instruction Manuals for it.

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I wasn't sure where to put this, as it kind of fits in with my "working the deuce" thread that I use to document what we've done with our trucks (http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/15325-working-deuce-vol-12-385-a.html) or the #7 hoist thread, so I guess I'll park these here.

Had a grand time with my Dad yesterday removing my A3 bed from Dave's car trailer using the hoist. Worked very well.

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Clinto,
Do you have two chainfalls on your hoist?
BC
Yes, I wanted to make it twice as useful.

Actually, I haven't gotten around to repairing the seized up factory trolley/hoist combo, so for now I have a cheap civvy trolley and chainfall.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks