• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2.5-ton vs. 5-ton

Rgdl

I figured I would pose this question here since I assume many of you civilian 5-ton owners have owned (or still do own) an M35A2 as well.

I have been researching to buy an M35A2. I want to single it with 395s. I also may want to bob it down the road, but after driving it around as a 6x6 I may want to just leave well enough alone. Who knows until I get one?

But then I stumbled into the "5-ton and up" discussion forum. The Deuce is a big truck - that's why I want one. But the 5-tons are bigger. They're badder. They fit bigger tires, and have power-assist steering to control them.

So to you folks who have owned and driven 2.5-ton trucks, and now 5-ton trucks, what are the differences?

How do they differ in drivability, maneuverability, parking at the mall, etc?

How much harder on fuel is the 5-ton?

Is acceleration any slower with the normally-aspirated cummins vs. the turbo-diesel multi-fuel engine?

Are there any other noteworthy differences between the two, other than their sizes/weights?

avengeusa

i think there was a topic like this a while ago, i will see if i can find it and post a link, but i know the 5 ton guys were razzing the little deuce guys

1qwkgoat

Deuce is much cheaper. For the most part more plentiful to. I was bidding on a 818, but I ended up winning a deuce instead. i won it at $1,600 and the 818 went for $3,000ish. I think I'll be happy with the deuce, 1. even though a deuce is smaller it is still a large tough vehicle. 2. the price.

A wrecker is on my dream list, gotta get some other things paid for first.

Rgdl

Deuce is much cheaper. For the most part more plentiful to. I was bidding on a 818, but I ended up winning a deuce instead. i won it at $1,600 and the 818 went for $3,000ish.
Very true. As I have been searching there are abundantly more Deuces for sale than M818s. Supply and demand affect price.

dk8019

I own two Deuces and a 5-ton. The Deuce is nice, part are plentiful. The 5-ton however has power steering, which is really nice, has a much more powerful engine, with commercially available sources for parts. The 5-ton is available in a number of configurations that the Deuce normally isn't as well. The 5-ton is harder to work on in terms of the size of parts, which can be a negative. You of course can haul far heavier items with the 5-ton, it doesn't even sneeze at any load I've thrown at it so far.

Rgdl

I own two Deuces and a 5-ton. The Deuce is nice, part are plentiful. The 5-ton however has power steering, which is really nice, has a much more powerful engine, with commercially available sources for parts. The 5-ton is available in a number of configurations that the Deuce normally isn't as well. The 5-ton is harder to work on in terms of the size of parts, which can be a negative. You of course can haul far heavier items with the 5-ton, it doesn't even sneeze at any load I've thrown at it so far.
Is your 5-ton much heavier on fuel than your deuces?

How does acceleration compare when not hauling/towing a load?

bigelk50

Well in my opinion right off the bat it is easier to get ins for a deuce than a 5 ton. Cause of the GVW. We own both and I like the 5 ton better. The Cummins is SWEET as well as the power steering! You can bolt the 1600 right on, no issues. I love driving the deuce though!! It is nice to hear a turbo for a change and a little smoother on bumpy roads. There is only about a 4 mpg loss between the 5 ton and the deuce. It is all in what you want! I am thinking about a bobbed 5 ton for my next project. We will see though.

bigelk50

If you use low range they both do great. The 5 ton is bigger and can carry more weight so all in all they are about the same I would think when talking about acc. loaded.

dk8019

The 5-ton gets around 6 MPG, the Deuce around 10 MPG. If you have a source of waste motor oil, the Deuce multifuel is nice, as it can run on all kinds of things.

jimmcld

I drive both but they are really hard to compare. The deuce weighs around 13,000 and my 5 ton weighs around 35,000. The remarkable thing is that the wrecker (5 ton, m816) is just as fast on acceleration and top speed as the deuce. It might not get as good a milage, but it will certainly do a lot of things the deuce won't.

jimm1009

With the fact that the 2.5 ton is not nearly as easy to find now due to the Government purge, is the 2.5 still the lesser choice between the two?
Let's be fair as the 2.5 ton is a really good truck too.
I find myself in the same situation as I only have an M1009 that I have had since 1995. I drive it as much or as little as I want. No plate in Louisiana and $105
per year for special insurance as I only put about 800 miles per year on it now and for the last 4 years.
I need a truck that I can adapt to my needs. I do not want to haul heavy loads although for a short while I will want the winch is top notch shape as I need to
clear some downed trees in Knoxville, TN area when I do find a truck to buy.
jimm1009 (Jim)

Iceman3005

I drove both before I decided which one I wanted. I went with the 5 ton. In my opinion the 5 ton is much easier to drive. As for parts it seems a little harder to find them for the 5 ton and they are much more expensive. Except for the engine, those 250 cummins were every where back in the 70's so it seems that parts for that are much easier to come by than the mutli-fuel. Other draw back to the 5 ton is parts are much heavier. Just installed a new radiator, it weighs over 150 lbs empty. Which ever one you choose, make sure you have some large tools, and deep pockets. When parts wear out or break, things can get expensive very quickly. My brand new radiator with shipping was $1200.

tobyS

I've bought 16, sold 14, mostly 5 tons. I have an M929A2 and an M35A3 (which is my current) 4x4 project.

I think you will find the best deal (per pound) on a 5 ton. If keeping up on a highway is not an issue, the deuce is smaller but not really easier to drive. I suggest the short wheelbase M931 or M929 for maneuverability and they can be made 4x4 without shortening the frame. Also suggest the newer 939 series over the 809 series. My $.02. + $1.50 will get a cup of coffee.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I drove both before I decided which one I wanted. I went with the 5 ton. In my opinion the 5 ton is much easier to drive. As for parts it seems a little harder to find them for the 5 ton and they are much more expensive. Except for the engine, those 250 cummins were every where back in the 70's so it seems that parts for that are much easier to come by than the mutli-fuel. Other draw back to the 5 ton is parts are much heavier. Just installed a new radiator, it weighs over 150 lbs empty. Which ever one you choose, make sure you have some large tools, and deep pockets. When parts wear out or break, things can get expensive very quickly. My brand new radiator with shipping was $1200.
Nearly every mechanical moving part on an 809 or 939 series truck has a common commercial equivalent. Most truck places or napa carry most things. Radiators, air pack, and brake shoes are the exception. Repurpose parts is the name of the game in this hobby.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All these years, and nobody answered the OPs question about mall parking???

I love my 5ton, for the most part if it will fit, or you can hook to it, the truck will haul it fairly fast and comfy.
Maneuverability? It’s a big truck and will make your M1009 seem like driving a go cart. If you want to park it up front at the mall, or try to follow Gimpy into the woods, stick with a deuce.

Now for the real question, which motor is best?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's even more fun with the XLWB models like the 927 and 934...

Try driving a 33' truck with a 6' tow bar with a 20' truck attached... VS. Deuce that will fit in a standard parking spot for the most part.

It's fun indeed.

The XLWB models will fit in 2 spaces, perfectly... As long as you don't have people parking next to you.. You'll never be able to turn without hitting them if you do.

Tight spots require a 39 point turn, which sometimes entails waiting for a minute to build pressure back up if you're heavy on brake tapping.. The army mandates ground guides for a reason.

fasttruck

I had a M36WW that was extremely difficult to steer at any speed under 10mph. M35s and 813s are both available with and without winches and drop sides . Both can be had with or without heaters and hard tops. Both have manual transmissions and air over hydraulic brakes Both have 24v electrical systems. Both can pull drawbar trailers. However as previously noted 5 tons have power steering. You can put an aftermarket power steering on a deuce but it isn't cheap. M35s are narrower than 813s which may be an issue if you are parking it in a garage. Bob it ? the brakes on these trucks are not overbuilt with 3 axles; how do you expect to stop with 2? I wonder how many trucks have been ruined by abortive attempts to bob them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks