• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 Cdn MRT Rebuild The Beginnings...

Seatyger

I figured it was time to jump into the MV game with both feet so here is my latest project.

Thanks to WPNS421 I squirreled a 1952 M135 Maintenance Recovery Truck. Overall in pretty good condition to start off with. There are a couple pieces missing and/or require replacement.

The first being a fuel pump, second being the hydraulic pump which is driven by the PTO. Any one with leads please fire me off a PM and a heads up. Thanks to Evilone I'm a couple bucks richer for betting some 'Nonbelievers' that such a truck ever existed in the military LOL!

Over the course of this fall and winter I will begin the tear down and rebuild. The goal being to be operational by mid summer 2010. If I survive working on it outdoors during a much anticipated Heavy Mosquito season during next spring and early summer!

I would appreciate any technical pointers and avise as well as a kick in the right direction for parts and pieces.

My Kid's are even putting down the game controllers and actually venturing outside to help! Damn near a win/win all round!

All the best to you and yours.

Jim

Attachments

Seatyger

Here are some great reference pics provided by Evilone. I'm leaning towards the camo style paint scheme as it is what I remember as a kid racing around in them.....if you can call 55 mph racing!

Attachments

Last edited:

butch atkins

saw a pic in a Wheels and Tracks mag,thought it was really cool,also in same ,saw a GMC with front mounted gen set on it ,both were CDN,good score on a really rare GMC. Good luck on your project.Keep us posted,

BugEyeBear

Nice Find! I've never seen one of those variants before!

Memphis Equipment & Alpha Heaven are good sources for parts.
Not sure if they'll have anything for the crane, but they might be able to point you in the right direction...

"Cheers!"
-Bear-

M135CDN

Last year Ralph Journeay at Niagara Military Parts in Welland had an derelict M135 truck in his yard that I think might have been a MRT. It was in very rough condition and only had the short box left on it and no hydraulics left on it. He may also be a good source for used and NOS parts for your project.

Seatyger

BFR-

There are plates, some pretty faded. On the lower rear corner of the driver's side is a plate attached to the cab as well. If the weather cooperates this weekend I will attempt to photograph them.

Thanks for the replies and I will do my best to answer your PM's by Sunday evening as well.

Jim :p

Seatyger

Sorry for the delay, found some time and good weather to get a couple photos of the data plates for the HIAB. Will start shopping and bugging fellow SS Members for parts and pieces soon. If anyone has M135 parts and components feel free to PM me with prices and availability.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

Attachments

WPNS421

I Knew he would like this truck, I had planned to redo the truck but when I lucked into my M36C w/Hiab that plan stalled. The crane is a Hiab, parts are still available and I had the unit tested at a hydraulic shop and the boom started to rotate and extend but they could not do the full tests because it was not secure. This is a good truck and will be really nice once redone. Seatyger even has the number stencils for the door. I believe the pump can be procured from a hydraulic shop the pump is easy the PTO might be hard to match to the transmission gear.

BugEyeBear

Thanks for the update!
Keep it coming!!

Hope you can manage to remove some of that paint overspray w/o destroying the silkscreen on those data plates!

Do it SLOWLY & take photos as you attempt to remove the paint, JUST IN CASE you have to get repros made.

Seatyger

Quick update-

Found and brought home another M135 for a parts truck. Like a moron I forgot to bring the camera this time out. Still messing about trying to inventory what is and isnt there between the three I have now.

If anyone has a line on the following big items please feel free to give me a shout-

Winch assembly, front bumpers, radiators and the usual fuel tanks. Speaking of fuel tanks. For the time and effort it takes to 'refresh' an old one (as long as the metal is still sound) has anyone here had them made back to original specs?

Do they still make 11:00 x 20 NDT tires? This has started to become an obsession and I've just barely started turning wrenches!

Today is a proud day for me in my MV Life. While underneath the truck removing the front propellor shaft from the transfer case the wrench let loose and I gave it one helluva right hook!

I havent screamed like that since I was audited by our infamous Revenue Canada! Two chopped up knuckles later I have come to the realization that my existing tools just don't cut it. Time to upsize and upgrade LOL!

The truck.....it didn't budge, if it wasn't for the barely noticable smudge marks in 40+ yr old grease you wouldn't even know I was under there.............and subsequently paying off my 9 yr old son to not tell his mother any of the 'enhanced' applications of the english language:evil::-D

pa.rich

Yes the pto is rare as hens teeth. They are around but you have to search possibly a tanker or M215 if you are lucky to find one. I have a pump off a five ton that would probalbly work. The M215 and the 5 tonners were simular underneath, the bodies are different. And abt the camo scheme, I dont think that is original to that era truck. It would look good though.Keep us posted. Thanks for the pics. I own a M211 which is same drivetrain and cab. Good luck.:-D

WPNS421

Knuckle buster

Quick update-

Found and brought home another M135 for a parts truck. Like a moron I forgot to bring the camera this time out. Still messing about trying to inventory what is and isnt there between the three I have now.

If anyone has a line on the following big items please feel free to give me a shout-

Winch assembly, front bumpers, radiators and the usual fuel tanks. Speaking of fuel tanks. For the time and effort it takes to 'refresh' an old one (as long as the metal is still sound) has anyone here had them made back to original specs?

Do they still make 11:00 x 20 NDT tires? This has started to become an obsession and I've just barely started turning wrenches!

Today is a proud day for me in my MV Life. While underneath the truck removing the front propellor shaft from the transfer case the wrench let loose and I gave it one helluva right hook!

I havent screamed like that since I was audited by our infamous Revenue Canada! Two chopped up knuckles later I have come to the realization that my existing tools just don't cut it. Time to upsize and upgrade LOL!

The truck.....it didn't budge, if it wasn't for the barely noticable smudge marks in 40+ yr old grease you wouldn't even know I was under there.............and subsequently paying off my 9 yr old son to not tell his mother any of the 'enhanced' applications of the english language:evil::-D
Join the busted knuckle club it;s the first but not the last time. If you look in the engine compartment you will see the fuel pump mounted on the fender. When I got it the pump was connected to a jerry can on the steps.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Seatyger they still make 11x20 NDT'S or least Wallace wade still sells them www.[B]wallacewade[/B].com . I lucked out at a fram auction last fall and got 7 nos ones for $20 ea for my M135 and before you ask 7 was all that were there. How about some updated pic's, really wish they would have made the MRT down here.

WPNS421

Jim If you need tires I have a wack of them, they were removed from my M35 and M109 mounted on the rim $200. I have 10 -12 if not more they are in the snow Gilles

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks