• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AN/GRC-142 Finally Loaded

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally loaded the shelter. It is a restored AN/GRC-142(A-D) and it is fully operational. Between the shelter and the truck, the project has lasted a bit over 2 years. I made the decision to leave the shelter in it's stock color. It does not match the truck but they seldom, if ever, did. Some pictures follow;

Attachments

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes

Very, very, very nicely done. Are you on the air on any ham bands with that 106?
Yes, we have used it on 20, 40 and 75 meters. There is a group on 40 meter USB using only mil-spec equipment. Even worked Europe with just the 15 foot whip on 20. There is a RATT net on 10.137 also. AM mil radio net every Saturday at 5AM Eastern on 3885 also. I also have a 106 in the shack and use that very often.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW!!!! Exceptional RATT RIG!!! My 715 with it's Tornado engine does not enjoy hauling the heavy S-318 around.

Carl_in_NH

I've been toying with the idea of picking up the 106 configuration myself. Found a couple - too far away in both cases to ship. Still looking. Perhaps I'll find something at NEARFEST in a couple weeks, although there aren't all that many green radios that show up at that flea market.

Checked into the AM mil radio net a time or two myself without mil gear - but that zero-dark-thirty starting time makes me miss the net most weeks - even when I try my best to make it.

ONTOS66

Nice looking rig. So when will you add the gen trailer? :)

The project is never finished ... just accomplished in multiple (on-going) stages.

HAWKMAN

If anyone is looking for another one of these to restore I have one without the radio gear but with all the mounts and most of the cables and whatever was left in it when I got it. Shelter is clean/ straight no holes or leaks. PM me if interested:-D

dougimes

Grc 106

very nice truck, I like 715's, and the radio gear looks great.
I operate a GRC 106. If can get yours lit up (or maybe it is already) a military net meets at 10:00 east time, at 7.205 mhz. pretty fun

Doug KJ4esy

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking rig. So when will you add the gen trailer? :)

The project is never finished ... just accomplished in multiple (on-going) stages.
I was hoping to get the generator trailer painted this year but ran out of time. I have a real nice M-101A1 with the generator. Just need to do it.

Attachments

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
very nice truck, I like 715's, and the radio gear looks great.
I operate a GRC 106. If can get yours lit up (or maybe it is already) a military net meets at 10:00 east time, at 7.205 mhz. pretty fun

Doug KJ4esy
Both mine are on the air. Is this every day? USB since many only have USB? I also have a military Harris set-up so can go LSB if required. What region is the net control?

K3TZJ

Wile E. Coyote

Nice rig. Your MD-522 modem looks brand new. I have an ex-UN GRC-142B rig at work which was still set up for the old TT-76/TT-98 teletypes but which nevertheless had the interface boxes, cables, mounts etc. for the KG-84 rather than the KW-7.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I have an ex-UN GRC-142B rig at work which was still set up for the old TT-76/TT-98 teletypes but which nevertheless had the interface boxes, cables, mounts etc. for the KG-84 rather than the KW-7.
Mine is like that, too. I swapped out the TT-98 with a UGC-74B, because the mechanical page printer just seemed a bit old-fashioned on the back of my HMMWV. Some paperwork I found in mine suggested that it lived on a HMMWV at some point before it was released, though, so maybe I should change back to the mechanical TTY.

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is like that, too. I swapped out the TT-98 with a UGC-74B, because the mechanical page printer just seemed a bit old-fashioned on the back of my HMMWV. Some paperwork I found in mine suggested that it lived on a HMMWV at some point before it was released, though, so maybe I should change back to the mechanical TTY.
Mine also had the TT-98's but trying to run 100 wpm is a challenge. Put in the UGC-74's as they mount and plug right in. That's why I cal. mine an "A-D" model because it is some of both. Not unusual thoiugh as they swapped some out early on in the Army. Thats why you see the interface cables for the older sets.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks