• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AN/GRC-142 Finally Loaded

nf6x

Feral Engineer
My UGC-74B didn't bolt in place of the TT-98 without any modifications to the frame, but as I recall I turned a couple of rails around and drilled some new holes, and it fit in there pretty neatly. Much like you do, I think of mine as a "B/D" model since it started out as an AN/GRC-122B, but I've D-ified it a bit. :wink:

My complete set isn't operational yet, but I have had the main transceiver on the air a couple of times in voice mode. Getting the set 100% operational is on my long to-do list!

KsM715

Is the actual shelter different from a S-250 shelter? I have a 250 that Im thinking of putting up in the back of my M715, minus any radio gear.

You guys that put the time into restoring this stuff back to original like this have my respect. [thumbzup] Great looking rig

ABN173

Yes, we have used it on 20, 40 and 75 meters. There is a group on 40 meter USB using only mil-spec equipment. Even worked Europe with just the 15 foot whip on 20. There is a RATT net on 10.137 also. AM mil radio net every Saturday at 5AM Eastern on 3885 also. I also have a 106 in the shack and use that very often.
Very nice! I was a RATT Rig operator myself when I first joined the army. I also like the UGC-74 typewriter.
I was a 31C AN GRC-106 operator from 89-92 with the 24th ID

Last edited:

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the actual shelter different from a S-250 shelter? I have a 250 that Im thinking of putting up in the back of my M715, minus any radio gear.
The S-250 was made for the "newer" trucks in the late 60's and early 70's. It is slightly larger then the S-318. Both were used on the M-715 and both were AN/GRC-142 and 122 models.

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice! I was a RATT Rig operator myself when I first joined the army. I also like the UGC-74 typewriter.
When I was in, we still had the GRC-26 and the GRC-46. Later the 142 and 122 but then I was leaving. Now, I'm reliving my youth! My wife tells soldiers we see that they can have me back, complete with my own equipment!

ABN173

Yes, they are used. There was one of each in my shelter when I got it. I have not put mine up but have seen them at shows.
Right, you need at least two AB-155's to set up a Doublet (bi directional) with the GRA-50. One AB-155 could support an inverted V configuration.

spitfire_pilot

An/rc 26d

Hi all. I have aquired an AN/GRC 26D. I picked it up with my deuce, but I don't know anything about it. I will post pics as soon as I can. What year are these and what truck does it go on? It seems a little small for a 72 deuce. It does not have anything in it but it looks complete otherwise with interior plywood walls, floors, ceiling and electricial in tact. It has a real nice ceramic insulator on the front antennae mast. Any info would be great!

Thanks, John

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all. I have aquired an AN/GRC 26D. I picked it up with my deuce, but I don't know anything about it. I will post pics as soon as I can. What year are these and what truck does it go on? It seems a little small for a 72 deuce. It does not have anything in it but it looks complete otherwise with interior plywood walls, floors, ceiling and electricial in tact. It has a real nice ceramic insulator on the front antennae mast. Any info would be great!

Thanks, John
The 26 series fit on the GM 6x6, a bit smaller then the M-35 deuce. I think it was the M-135 but others might chime in. It was an auto transmission truck that we had. We had those "D" models in the mid 60's but they go back from there in models. The "D" was the last model. It had the R-390 receivers and I think there was a T-368 transmitter? I have a manual for that shelter somewhere in my pile and I know I have a PDF copy also.

Last edited:

WD5CFJ

Thanks, John
John,

I restored a AN/GRC 26 and all of the equipment inside. Wish I still had it. The one I had had 2 R-390A receivers, CVT16 TTY converter, T-368 Transmitter, Klienschmidt TTY gear and accessories. Used the PE-15 genset on a trailer. Never could get a Truck to put it on when I finished it, now have the truck and no shelter.

Regards,

Larry

Attachments

Eric's hifim37

Hi, That is a sharp set up you have there. I was enjoying the shelter inside shot, back around 1973 I used to play in one of those. I remember the scope on the amplifier and key board, there was a Armory next to our school in Thousand Oaks and we ( Kids) would sneak in there during lunch break and play in the trucks, I really liked the shelter. I was fasinated with electrical stuff and I still am. I have a shelter for my M37 a S-152 but I have no radio gear for the inside but I did build myself a comfy bed to sleep in when I am at the shows, I made the outside look original though.

Eric..

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am very impressed! How do you like the "vacuum cleaner in a tornado" sound of the amplifier's 400Hz external blower? It can be slowed down with a resistor if you wish, just watch the internal temp of the amp does not get above about 120-140 deg F.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks