• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing A M105 Trailer?

TURKEY131

Bryan, that is my own trailer I use to move my backhoe around. It is an equipment trailer the bed is about 22 ft and the overall length is 25ft, 14,500 GVW. The trailer cost me about $4500.00 four years ago. I have seen used one go for much cheaper. I have used that trailer to move many thing and is very handy to have. Well work the money.

Mark2X2

Lunettes are tapered.

I thought the same thing when I went to pull my ring off (wanted to check it out for use on another project). I pulled the cotter pin, put the wrench on the nut (not much fits in there!), and put my 300+ lbs. on it. It moved pretty easily! In fact, I turned the nut about 1/4 turn, and was able to spin it off by hand! One quick rap on the side of the ring with the wrench and it broke free and pulled right out.

I know I just got lucky. If I had to do that in a GL yard somewhere I'd still be there trying to get it off! Oh, and my trailer is from the 60's. :-D

Jim
Jim,
We just pulled the lunette off a M105, just so you know. The lunette has a tapered shank, if you can get them started they pop right out.

godzilla

Hey Guys, picked up the trailer last thursday. Couldn't get the lunette to buge. Towed it home with it flipped up, had no issues with the brakes. Put a set of mag tow lights on and was fine. What electric brake axle have you guys used to convert from stock to electric? This is the first issue I want to deal with. I want to start hauling firewood soon, but in need of brakes.

92RT-TT

I just won an M105A2 so hopefully I'll be hearing back about my euc soon.

I'm borrowing my dads Ram 1500 w/a hemi for the 2 1/2 hour tow home. He uses it to tow a 20' enclosed car trailer and a 27' travel trailer so it should be no problem as the enclosed car trailer with a car weights around 7k-7500 lbs. I have a 12 inch adjustable pintle hitch and I'll be bringing some tools so I can adjust it to the right height. I'm assuming I'll have it all the way up being I'm sure the trailer sits alot higher then a stock ram.

From what I've read bring stick on trailer lights, lug wrench, tall jack, air compressor, wheel bearing grease, various tools, and if I had one a spare tire. (dont have one and unless someone local has one I'm out of luck on the spare tire

wikallen

I just won an M105A2 so hopefully I'll be hearing back about my euc soon.

I'm borrowing my dads Ram 1500 w/a hemi for the 2 1/2 hour tow home. He uses it to tow a 20' enclosed car trailer and a 27' travel trailer so it should be no problem as the enclosed car trailer with a car weights around 7k-7500 lbs. I have a 12 inch adjustable pintle hitch and I'll be bringing some tools so I can adjust it to the right height. I'm assuming I'll have it all the way up being I'm sure the trailer sits alot higher then a stock ram.

From what I've read bring stick on trailer lights, lug wrench, tall jack, air compressor, wheel bearing grease, various tools, and if I had one a spare tire. (dont have one and unless someone local has one I'm out of luck on the spare tire
Well, you can set up your hitch before hand, knowing the 105 hitch is at 36". If no spare, take some tube tire sealant (green snot). Or you can take a spare tube, tire hammer, pry bars and air compressor. I duct tape my magnetic lights to make sure they do not fall off.

BK Johnson

Great thread for a new owner ~ yet to pick up. 36" height ~ the tools to bring...and at this point I am wondering if it's better to just rent a trailer from the local Uhaul? Gonna get the measurements and make sure it'll fit.

Any additional advice or suggestions are very Welcome! Looked like some people mentioned getting pintle hitches from Northern Tool...anyone have a particular model?

Wheel grease? Which grease zerk does it take?

Plan is to pull with a 2008 Chevy Trailblazer....the local trailer company only has a hitch that will get me to 24" Afraid that ass end will stick up too high?

KsM715

If its the trailer in your avatar, remove the front and rear racks and put them in the storage slots on the sides of the trailer and drop the tailgate so its no acting like a parachute going down the road.

Edit: if you haven't seen one of these trailers in person, you'll be surprised by how much bigger it is in person. Might be a bit much for your trailblazer with out trailer brakes, not overkill but doable if you use your head.

Last edited:

91W350

They are heavy, they will "educate" a 1/2 ton pickup and dominate most SUVs. You have to be extremely careful.

Here is a Toyota Tundra with two on a car trailer, it just waxed the rear suspension. Down on the snubbers, no rear suspension. We towed it about 60 miles to make sure the recovered deuce was going to run, then unloaded a M105 and attached it to the deuce. It was a dangerous load. Glen

Attachments

a175

I towed my new M105 with a M1008 today. Nothing special, about a 30 minute drive from Ft. Polk to home. No issue whatsoever, I just kept it slow and steady. The lights worked as well as the blinkers, so that was good. It did look a bit goofy with the tilt. I'm trying to turn the lunette but the cotter pin is stuck. I need to find something to pull it with that fits in that little hole down there.

BadMastard

Brought home a 105 with my Wrangler. Still have to flip the lunette ring, but a quick trip to walmart and it now sports a full 12V attached trailer light set in addition to 24v. Actually pulled very nicely, very little drag virtually no sway. Bonus was it was someones trailer for soda cans. I'm now the proud owner of about 3500 of them. Wish I was in california, that's $350 dollars worth of cans!

Attachments

45FMJoe

My father's '04 F-150 4x4 pulls his M105A2 just fine, it doesn't even squat. We have the 12" pintle riser in his receiver but the trailer still isn't level. I have tried and tried to break the lunette ring free to no avail. A torch and an 8 lb sledge don't even phase it. I've even backed off the nut a few turns and driven it around town trying to break it free. Nope.

I guess I need penetrating oil, lots of penetrating oil. Just not sure how the heck I'm supposed to get said oil into the ring.

BadMastard

if it helps, I loosened the nut all the way until it hit the crossmember in the back, and then turned it a bit more to put pressure on the bolt. Then I took two chisels, and started at the point behind the lunette ring using the chisels to lever against the connection point. Hammered them, turned nut. Little of both until the ring/bolt worked free. Good Luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks