• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing A M105 Trailer?

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why don't you put a hydraulic surge brake on it? The brakes themselves are hydraulic.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I let kids ride on the tailgate and they just drag their legs when we need to slow down.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, and flat too.

I use their legs for wheel chocks when we park.

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are sooo lucky to have children that enjoy your hobby with you.

FloridaAKM

My kids fell off & the car behind me ran over them.....

Just being sick.

I have towed M105A2 trailers with a Toyota Tacoma 4WD truck for 80 miles with no problems on recovery. Longer distance is no problem as long as you watch the texters ahead of you & the people who fly by & turn right. Got pictures of one of the trailers I towed home posted here somewhere. A reasonable sized riser hitch helps along with magnetic lights for stop & turn signals.

They were step kids anyway.....................

mdeane

This is actually my first ever trailer purchase, Im 26 and ignorant about these trailers. I can't use the air brakes behind my Rover, but it towed easily enough 100 miles home. I wanted to make it a camping/offroad build, but I may try to buy a M1101 trailer instead. I just love the huge bed on this thing

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is actually my first ever trailer purchase, Im 26 and ignorant about these trailers. I can't use the air brakes behind my Rover, but it towed easily enough 100 miles home. I wanted to make it a camping/offroad build, but I may try to buy a M1101 trailer instead. I just love the huge bed on this thing
Here are a couple of photo's of the 105 bed that I changed to a Dexter axle and hummer wheels, hinged for dumping. A guy wanted it for firewood and bought it before I got it welded out. It towed nice and is a lot lower.

The 1101 was bent on 3 sides so I've cut it back to mount the S-788 shelter (last photo).

Attachments

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The spring and frame width is different...a lot different. Some framing would have to be fabricated. Dexter 7,000# has the eight lug to take the hummer wheels. I think under that weight rating and they are 6 lug. I've seen these trailers with regular trailer wheels and don't care for it...too small.

In case you do decide to change it, guys want the M105 spring and frame mounts for bobbing the deuce, so you may get some investment back. With only hand tools, this might be a bit beyond your means.

I'm about to cut one up to make my A3 deuce into a 4x4, using the frame section with the springs to raise the rear of the 4x4 to level, the bed to replace my 12' bed, the tongue for another project and saving the axle to make a tandem (with duels). Nothing wasted.

Here is a photo of the frame from the above (105) that I'm extending for a sawmill project, to show you a duel wheel. I'm not suggesting you make any such changes, just that the M105 has a lot of possibilities.

Attachments

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a write up on your sawmill extension?
Sorry, but no.

Not yet that far and have some basic design issues. I want long fiber for laminating (thin wood), thus have a LOT different log breakdown than cutting grade or dimension. PM me for more information.

I used 5" H beam to lengthen out 12' and lapped about 14" onto the original (5") 105 frame.

Last edited:

Retired1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I towed my M105 225 miles with my 2017 FLEX (it has the base, non-turbo motor) and got 17.4 mph. I kept the RPMs about 2800 (45 mph). I also had a strong tailwind. I took the tarp off but left the side boards, front and rear boards, and roof bows on. I also left the tailgate up. My route was about 2/3 fairly flat and 1/3 fairly hilly. I towed on a Sunday afternoon and impeded no one. West and northwest Oklahoma highways are empty on Sundays I only had a few vehicles pass me in the last 150 miles.

Attachments

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

I have to go pick up another M-105a2 trailer Saturday that I won last week. There was nobody there @ the yard this past weekend, so it will be this weekend as a pickup. Can't decide whether to pick it up with the Toyota or the Deuce, so it will probably be the Toyota Tacoma as it is less than 25 miles thru country back roads. I'll post pictures when I get them loaded into the computer.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I towed my M105 225 miles with my 2017 FLEX (it has the base, non-turbo motor) and got 17.4 mph. I kept the RPMs about 2800 (45 mph). I also had a strong tailwind. I took the tarp off but left the side boards, front and rear boards, and roof bows on. I also left the tailgate up. My route was about 2/3 fairly flat and 1/3 fairly hilly. I towed on a Sunday afternoon and impeded no one. West and northwest Oklahoma highways are empty on Sundays I only had a few vehicles pass me in the last 150 miles.

You were lucky.

fasttruck

The applicable Federal Vehicle Safety Standard calls for working brakes on any trailer RATED for over 3000#. That is not curb weight. That is why the Army is putting surge brakes on the newer 3/4 ton trailers. Most states have adopted the federal standards by reference to keep the highway trust funds bucks coming in. We have 8 pages of posts from people who have towed these with pickup trucks and no operative brakes. The trucks this trailer is designed to be compatible with have air brakes and will operate the air over hydraulic brakes on the trailers. LEOs will discover your being in violation when you have an at fault accident and then it will be too late. And any plaintiffs and their hungry lawyers find you whatever you have will be theirs.

Retired1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mistakenly used the empty weight when I considered towing it home. Now, being aware of the brake requirement being based on the GVWR (Post 76), I will not tow it again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks