• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1's don't float

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sucked down into the slick Alabama red clay nose first. The front end was completly under and the driver had to close the hatch to keep the mud from coming in.

I saw a very similar thing at Ft Polk in '86. We had an attachment of LANG tanks with our Mech INF Bn. The 113s were swimming through mud so the tankers thought they'd try dryer ground to our left flank. I watched three of them following one after another like little ducks until the first one was fender deep. By that time the trailing 2 were deep enough they weren't getting out. We just kept going and I don't remember seeing them for the rest of the 2 weeks we were in the field.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How in the heck would you get a tank out sitting like that? A couple of M88's lift it out?

Well, if it were me, I'd get Doghead's Case backhoe and dig out the side and let it down. Clean out the back and pull her out.

;-)

sw

Wolf.Dose

Leo I was designed in the early 60s. The M1 was designed in the late 70s to early 80s. Thats why you won most the times. How about a Leo II. Your M1 had a 105 mm gun, the Leo II from the very first day the 120 mm smooth bore gum which the M1 got with the M1A1 version. Years later!
Anyway, the sticking tank is realy a big issue for the recovery team.
Which version of the Leo I you drove. The A1 to A3 had a manual transmission, the A4 a full auto transmission.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks