• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151's still out there? Look

saddamsnightmare

December 13th, 2009.

Gentlemen:

Please accept my apologies on the error as to engine size, the mistake was mine. but in any case the vehicle was overpowered compared to the M38A (75 HP, I believe), the M422A1 (50 HP), and the suspension combined with the powerplant made the truck squirrelly. Most later designs have made more allowance for suspension inputs. The HMMWV's are being sold to the civillians, as I do believe most civillian H-1's used turned in military HMMWV as the core starting point for the remanufacture. And there are the ex USMC ones from the eighties that seem to have gotten out from the contracting deal to rebuild the helicopters (most HMMWV's I see around here that are military seem to be ex USMC), except of course for the Army and NG units going into and out of Red River Army Depot. Personally, I have not driven a MUTT, I have driven M38's and 38A's, M37's,M715's and the M135/M211 and M35A2 series, plus mu Unimog S404.114. I will say the even the S404 Unimogs are a heckuva lot more stable then most civillian SUV's and most military vehicles as regards their performance envelope on the road or off the road. But the gas engined ones can be temperamental on bad gas (which is most gas in North East Texas).
I'd love to get a U1300L, as they will wup a HMMWV in rough terrain operations...
Just my .02 worth, now I'll stand back and watch the fur fly....:twisted:!

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:p

southdave

I love the mutt, I spent alot time in and under & over them. In my opinion it still out class the humvee as tactical vech. as I knew one during DS, thought the humvee was way to complex for the general mayham of the field too heavy used too much fuel, examplle one humvee tire ocuppy the same space as all four mutt tires. if the mutt got stuck four men could get it out. The M998 took 20years to develop and deploy and some many versions I lost count it is still a camo turd IMHO. Civy terms the mutt was a Rambler and the Hummvee is surburban.

SGT FROST

Hey Sparkie I am goin to use 19SFGA on my front bumper ,for old time sake. We allways had leg units haul us around off of DZ'S most times rode in POV or just walked over to the airport to the C-130 or C-141 and the UH1 , I drove a M151A1 in a CBT ENG unit for the CO for two years. I am now building a M38A1.. OUT

Wolf.Dose

Hey, Gentlemen,
without reading me throu all the posts. some facts:
The M151 was designed in the fifties (1950s). So the handeling is like the vehicles of that time.
The first series had been a bit tricky to drive, especially on european roads with no speed limit, for the vehicle was designed for an average speed of 35 to 40 mph.
The A2 was of a much better handling with the modifications made since the A1.
There was nerver a real redesign over all the years of production for the manufacturer FORD promissed to produce them fore some 7000 something dollars. Most of the design changes have been made to reduce production costs. And the last had been built to my knowledge in 1978!
The destroying of the MUTT started in the late 60's / early 70's during the Vietnam war. There have been some smart dealers, who bought the surpluss MUTT in very large numbers, made 2 out of three and sold them to North Vietnam. No government likes this.
The stories with the lawyers and the law suits was the official version of the government (brake problems, roll over and other nightmares which would fit to any 4x4 mass production car in the US of that time).
Finally: The M151 A2 is a nice every day sutable car with a good comfort with regard to the time of its design. Fuel consumtion is still accepable. And if you agree to limit your speed volentarily to a maximum of 50 to 55 mph, it is save. As safe as any 4x4 of the 1970's im a good maintaind manner. And not overpovered!
Here in Germany the M151A2 is considered to be the most comfortable best handling "jeep" the US military ever had.
Wolf

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I will bet my bippy that there is not a nicer MUTT than Uglyranger's!!

In fact...I bet it didn't look/run that well off the assembly line.. + it has a heater...which he frequently reminds us fellers of when we are driving our topless M38/M38A1's etc in freezing 55 degree temperatures here in the artic SW GA:roll:

Sparkie

I" take that bet and race him up "over Hills over Dale....." weather ore knot there is a "case-on" the jeep so we would be "rolling again".

"Tanks for the memories"

Sparkie:roll:

SGT FROST

AIRBORNE!! I wish I had the M151A1 INstead of the M38A1 but I must be happy with what I got To legett to quit . SGT FROST..... P.S. Nice article in last months Military Magazine on the MUTT
OUT!!!

AIE1

The M151 series jeep are not the best on or off road suited vehicles. The first off road vehicle I ever drove was the 151A1 and that is what happens when you enter the military as an E1. One of the first duties that happen to a private is make him a driver. I personally know guys that flipped over the 151 series vehicles. That vehicle already had a reputation for being dangerous when I entered the service. The 151s with the mounted 106RR seemed to be more top heavy then the straight jeep version and there was a number of those flipped. Also the cowboys in the Recon Platoons with the M60 MG mounts had their share of accidents. One has to remember that most jeep drivers were in the 17-22 age group. My opinion is; with proper training the 151s driven properly, it is a fairly safe vehicle considering it came with no seat belts or roll bar.
After I got out of the service and got the military vehicle bug, I purchased an M38A1 and that vehicle while not having the comfort of a 151 was a much better off road jeep than the 151s. A few years later I purchased a 151A1 that I had to demil and reweld. As most MVs go, early on I like to get one keep it a while and sell it. I sold both M38A1 and 151A1 years ago. About 10 years ago I was dating a young lady that got the MV bug and wanted to restore a jeep. I suggested a 151A2 due to parts still available and she found one out West. When we got the vehicle back East she lost interest in the A2. I purchased the rolling basket case from her (see attached pix). The vehicle sat for 10 years and I finally got it done in the past year. This A2 of mine has more NOS parts than the law should allow. I have so many pictures of restoration that I don’t have time to post them all. Due to the age of these vehicles and the limited amount that are in civilian hands I believe they should not be used as “daily drivers”, but that is just me. Your jeep you do what you want with it. The 151s were the vehicle of my military time and I get the biggest kick out of taking fellow Vietnam vets for a ride or letting them drive it. Oh yeah, why the unit markings, my first unit as a private was Headquarters Company, 2nd Battalion, 504 Parachute Infantry. Enjoy the pix’s.

Attachments

SGT FROST

O.D. GREEN With Envy

Man I was drullin at that Jeep . I could see me sliding into the seat cocking my right foot with the left foot on the clutch. I can still here the loud sound coming from the center section of the body, I was 10 feet tall and bullit proof . Clean fatigues ,shined jump boots pack of ciggs and a pocket full of money.. Didden know if I was jumpin the left or right door.. Hey hey all the way !! OUT.

AIE1

You know the hardest thing I had to find? The OD base ball cap with the flat bill. It now sports the jump wings and parachute oval of the 2/504 for display.
We had a game we played if one remembers how the tactical vehicles werel parked between the Battalions. If someone left the secureing chain long enough, I could get the vehicle started get it out of the line and drive it around the block to a sister Battalion then get it out and leave it. What a treat to watch the guys from the other outfit freak out when they saw their jeep missing!

You talk about memories, if you happen to be a vehicle driver and return from the field, your ass is draging and the first thing they want you to do is clean that jeep. So off you go, because there are never enough water spots, you find some place your not supposed to be like the civilian POV wash rack. Big sign "NO TACTICAL VEHICLES", but that doesn't apply to me. That spray washer does a nice clean job, you jump back in the jeep and start back, only problem is that 151 never had a catch on the hood if you forgot to secure those hood latches. About 25 MPH the wind catches the hood and WAM, the hood comes flying up aginst the windshield, you look very silly trying to recompose your self and keep the jeep on the road. Of course this happens right in front of LEG ATRY unit.

ALL THE WAY, SIR!

AIE1

David,

Nice looking A1, very unusual later style antenna base mounted on the side like that. The trees would have torn that off the mount if our's were like that. Now I see why, you don't have the long angle piece that would extend the mount above the canvas. You can tie down the antenna with it on the side like that!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to see a very good write-up of the MUTT, check out Wikipedia M151 MUTT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . The MUTT with the worst roll-over problem were the M718 variants or ambulance versiion. We had two medics killed in rollovers of M718A1s in two separate accidents in less than six months.

If driven properly, they were OK, but many did not drive them properly. They were fun to drive, however.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks