• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I wonder why they pulled all the m35a2s

Somemedic

Went to car wreck up on I65 near 80/94. Trucks are coming out of Chicago and going south. New ones painted desert tan. Must have saw 4 of them flatbedded in 20min. 4x4s too, not 6x6s and I didnt recognize them other than I saw a show or a pic on here in the past week. Cant remember what they were but it looks bigger than a humv.

Pawnshop

Went to car wreck up on I65 near 80/94. Trucks are coming out of Chicago and going south. New ones painted desert tan. Must have saw 4 of them flatbedded in 20min. 4x4s too, not 6x6s and I didnt recognize them other than I saw a show or a pic on here in the past week. Cant remember what they were but it looks bigger than a humv.
LMTV, the 2.5t replacement for the M35 I bet

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
nopics

aua

JAYHAWK 1962

actually i offered the army 15 cents per vehicle only if they would deliver them. 25 cents seemed a little steep for my blood. as of now they are all on the way to my place:-D

nhdiesel

The USMC 7ton is the only "modern" truck I lust for:)
Well, I guess I could *settle* for one of those. Well, maybe 2...maybe make 1 an ultimate RV....hmmm....Course the wife would need one, so make it 3.

Oh yea...Just to make sure, you're giving them to me out of the kindness of your heart? Whatta guy. I 'preciate it! :grin: (Uncle Sam wouldn't miss just a few...)

Jim

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thousands were made but there is less than 2000 still in service (I think this is the correct figure provided by Carnac last year). There are even less in service now. I drove to the 4 guard units in my area and they were no more deuces in their fleet. In 20 years you will look at these trucks like you look at the M37 today.

greenjeepster

If not millions, I would say its in the 100s of thousands. They stared making these in the late 60s and made them through the 80s, three different manufacturer's I agree that there are not many left in service, Most probably have been destroyed, used for anything from target practice to god only knows what else. I am pretty sure that they are at the end of the line for auctioning these off. The trucks that are selling now are coming from state guard units and are getting newer and newer, that means we are down to the last of them. The two I just bought where either re-manufactured in 85 and 89 or were new then, that is the date they were requisitioned according to the nsn.

nhdiesel

The worse thing I see is when someone canibalizes a decent Deuce to use the axles under a 4x4. That would be like pulling a Rolls Royce apart just to put the hood on a Pinto. I can see pulling apart a junker, but I've seen too many running, driving Deuces pulled apart for them. Part of the problem is what attracts us to them- they are cheap. Custom built 1-ton strength axles are in the $2000-$5000 range EACH. That makes a great running $1000 Deuce look pretty good as a part's vehicle.

Jim

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If not millions, I would say its in the 100s of thousands. They stared making these in the late 60s and made them through the 80s, three different manufacturer's I agree that there are not many left in service, Most probably have been destroyed, used for anything from target practice to god only knows what else. I am pretty sure that they are at the end of the line for auctioning these off. The trucks that are selling now are coming from state guard units and are getting newer and newer, that means we are down to the last of them. The two I just bought where either re-manufactured in 85 and 89 or were new then, that is the date they were requisitioned according to the nsn.

Um, they actually have been building the m44 series trucks (what the m35, m109, m275... etc trucks are based off off) since the late 1940's if I remember correctly. Production didn't really kick off until the 50's and 60's.

I would be guessing at the bare minimum 500,000 of all the variants. Imagine how many were left in country when we pulled out of here or there, were distroyed either by combat or abusive troops, and how many more we have just given and continue to give/sell to other countries.

And several of the truck coming out of GA and SC have been 1952, 53 models. most of the ones that were at Jackson were 1960's or early 70's trucks.

Last edited:

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
A hair under 500,000 of all the M44 series were build, like 490,xxx I think if I remember right. And the 800 series were under 100,000. -Jay

I could be wrong but I think im right :wink:

JCKnife

As seen on AR15.com:

helped pick up another deuce today and the rumor according to a guy there in the know on the base is that DRMS is classifying as demil F (must be mutilated) because they had some sweetheart deal for scrapping them out for 0.13 per lbs.

no idea if this is for just the deuces at ft. sam, the rest of the country or all deuces to come.......................

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks