• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody mount a snow plow on their deuce?

greenjeepster

I plan on putting a plow on my new deuce next summer. I am hoping to use a minute mount plow so that the frame can come off as I don't want it on the truck in the summers. I will have to figure out how to run a 12 v pump on a 24 v truck. If the minute mount proves to small for the truck I will pick up a dump truck plow and frame and then I will have to figure out how to mount that so the frame is easy to remove. Another option would be to use a plow or snow blower from a unimog.
Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions or pictures?

DanielP

In Evanston, Wyoming right next to route I-80 they have several deuces with plows on them. They belong to the state highway department, and I think they only use them during extreme conditions where the regular snow plows prove insufficient.

It seems to me that a 5 ton (818?) would be preferable to a deuce for plowing due to the higher strength axles. We live at 7500 feet and have 500 inches of snow per year. Moving snow ruins every vehicle used for the purpose. A neighbor had a unimog and it was totally trashed in one season. I have a tracked Cat skid steer and it is doing ok, but only has 100 hrs so far. Another guy has two huge articulated tractors with blower s on them and he faces 20K to 50K repairs per year. So heavier duty is better.

ihmopar

We put one on our deuce many years ago, but we used a dump truck style mount and a 10 ft blade. all the parts were state surplus. I works really well but power steering would be nice. Do not need the heater while plowing snow.

Lex_Ordo

Well this lends to another question.
Did the military ever mount a plow blade on a duece?
And...
If not, how di they move snow on the northern bases that get it?

Not with a M880, or a CUCV, before 1970. Maybe an M37, or an M715?

It would be interesting to find out.

Nonotagain

And...

My local ANG base has been using OshKosh trucks with plows for years for snow removal.

Just because it's supposed to be "green" dosen't mean that support vehicles are.

greenjeepster

It will be plowing in Vermont, so while we get a lot of snow, it will not be 500 inches. I can get 3 seasons out of a ford f250 plowing, so the deuce should be much better than that. I know that PA and NJ both use deuces to clear roads in the winter if they get snow.

It does have NDTs and I will run them with tire chains front and rear. Not worried about power steer. I like the snow blower option better, because the truck will hold up better if it is not pushing a few tons of snow in front of it, but then the challenge becomes powering the blower.

I have searched m35 plowing in google and have found no evidence that the military ever had plows on them.

jhuey

And...

When I was stationed in Alaska we had a M37 with a plow mounted. I was just out of Boot Camp and my job was manning the manual pump in the passenger seat. It was like a hydraulic setup off a floor jack, pump the handle to raise and twist the little tee valve to lower. To change the blade direction the driver would just yell at me and I would jump out and angle the blade.:wink:

greenjeepster

LOL: sort of, only I actually have experience driving a plow and a heck of a lot of experience driving large trucks, both of which this guy admitted being new at:p

Thanks for the link, that is exactly the type of plow I want to put on her. I am thinking that with the 24 v it will just raise and lower the plow really fast:twisted:

dittle

Or burn it up. Remeber that electronics that are rated for one voltage do not do well when you double that voltage......it lets the smoke out....once :twisted:

Okay, I have to bite---why are you waitiing for "next summer" to put a plow on the deuce? Won't that be, like, 6 months late? LOLOLOLOLOL

Most of the snow blower mounts I've seen (2 to be exact) mounted on M211-series trucks had a separate engine mounted in the bed of the truck to run the blowers. I'll go out to my file and see if I can find the photographs.

On the M37s I had where the previous owner had used a plow, he used the winch to raise and lower the blade. DANG! Thought those pics were on my computer, but I'll have to pull them from the file, too. Back in a while.

greenjeepster

Okay, I have to bite---why are you waitiing for "next summer" to put a plow on the deuce? Won't that be, like, 6 months late? LOLOLOLOLOL

Most of the snow blower mounts I've seen (2 to be exact) mounted on M211-series trucks had a separate engine mounted in the bed of the truck to run the blowers. I'll go out to my file and see if I can find the photographs.

On the M37s I had where the previous owner had used a plow, he used the winch to raise and lower the blade. DANG! Thought those pics were on my computer, but I'll have to pull them from the file, too. Back in a while.
Because I live in KY still until next year:-D

Pics would be great, I have seen some osh-kosh airport blowers with a separate engine. I am not sure if removing the PTO shaft off of a mog blower and replacing it with a hydraulic motor would run one? That or putting a small kabota diesel right on the blower itself would be what I had in mind for powering a blower on a M35.

Keith_J

Or burn it up. Remeber that electronics that are rated for one voltage do not do well when you double that voltage......it lets the smoke out....once :twisted:
Add a third battery, wired to charge from a 24-12 converter.

Most electronics are protected by a voltage regulator and will be fine. Motors and solenoid-driven hydraulic valves can be damaged. Most hydraulic valves CAN be easily converted to 24 Volt operation. Motors can be swapped.

Now, back when I was in the Army, we had 5 ton dumps (M39 series, multifuel) with snow plows for the local airfield (Davidson AAF). Chains were a must and the trucks always had a load of sand in the back. Front end loaders and road graders were also used, the graders were equipped with a rubber strip instead of the normal hard edge.

WPNS421

you should try the heavy machinery stores for the 24V motors and pumps. When I need something 24V I go to a heavy truck parts store or to a machinery dealer.

DicedDeuceMan

Plow on a Deuce.... Hummmm. Would a 16 foot blade be big enough? Custom built, power V, kick bottom, able to pull 2 pins and let the wings float to the bumper? 4 link to attach the plow?

Attachments

tm america

the 12 pump will hold up just fine and it will go twice as fast on 24volts the relays are another thing if you are thinking about a snow blower the old snow go trucks had them a search on snow-go or sno-go

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks