• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2.5 Ton Rockwell Axle seal tool?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Does anyone know of a source for the special tool used to remove the inner axle seals from a front axle? It is pictured in the TM. Nick (bgekky3) and I replaced the front third member in his truck over the weekend, along with new boots, etc. . . but we didn't have the proper tool to remove the inner seal.

Thanks,
Ed

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read several accounts of guys using pipe or conduit, to drive it out from the opposite side.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Are you referring to the seal itself or the steel "disc" that is removed from the housing that the seal sits in?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto, is that a snap on? If so can you tell me which piece you used? All I have is the hook and axle flange. The hook works but the other piece would be much better.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Clinto, is that a snap on? If so can you tell me which piece you used? All I have is the hook and axle flange. The hook works but the other piece would be much better.
It is Snap-On, I have a CJ2003A kit. I didn't use the hook, I figured that would just get the disc cocked in the housing. I used the intermediate or the large bearing puller, I can't remember which one I grabbed. It was dark and I was out in the yard doing this at midnight in a hurry.

If someone wants to measure their disc, I will go home and see which attachment it is.

Attachments

m35a2cowner

Cheap

When I changed mine I went to the local NAPA store and they have a loan a tool program. They bill your card for the cost of the tool when you pick it up but when you bring it back they refund it. It did the job nicely and didn't cost a dime.

Heavy Hooker

Pigfoot, I concur with the tanker bar with a bolt welded on it. I have changed a lot of these with a 4 foot long 1 inch rod with a piece of 1/2 inch rod stock welded on it used as a slide hammer. I have been looking for a source for the replacement seal for the M35A3 inner front axle seal assembly. It is a much better double lip seal than the M35A2 single lip one.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have been looking for a source for the replacement seal for the M35A3 inner front axle seal assembly. It is a much better double lip seal than the M35A2 single lip one.
Does that mean the A3 seal can be used in the A2?

rancherrob

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What tool does on use to seat a new seal?
How do you know if it is completely and fully seated?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What tool does on use to seat a new seal?
How do you know if it is completely and fully seated?
Tool: I use a seal/bushing installation tool like this to drive the seals in and to drive the seal housing into the axle housing.

DSC_0824.jpg

You know it's completely and fully seated when the sound changes when the hammer strikes the tool. As you're driving the seal housing in, the hammer striking the tool makes a sound which will change when the seal is fully seated. It's hard to describe without showing you.

welldigger

Tool: I use a seal/bushing installation tool like this to drive the seals in and to drive the seal housing into the axle housing.

View attachment 458226

You know it's completely and fully seated when the sound changes when the hammer strikes the tool. As you're driving the seal housing in, the hammer striking the tool makes a sound which will change when the seal is fully seated. It's hard to describe without showing you.
I use a 1"x 12" galvanized (black iron would work also) nipple with a cap threaded on one end. I use the cap as a striking surface for my 3 pound mallet. Use it like a giant drift punch. You will know when it seats. As clinto said the sound totally changes.

In case anyone is wondering the malleable iron that the pipe nipple is made of is much softer than the seal retainer. So you won't hurt the retainer when using this method. I can usually seat the retainer in about 4 or so swings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks