• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New! 2009 GA Rally Multimedia Thread

poppop

OK, I got home at 6:25, about 35 minutes ago. I have pictures but camera battery is dead as well as me. Doghead and dhwife will probably be driving all night. Bob130ab and I stayed to help wrap things up. We helped Mike button up the mkt and finished at 20 till 3:00 and we pulled out at 10 to three. Mike, WM, Big case and another member I can't remember his name was all that was left, and they were close to leaving. Big case was staying one more night. Timtrucks got sick last night and no it was not the cooking. Pam was going to get him in the truck about 12:00 PM today and start home. Papabear we missed you as well as all the other mwembers that could not make it. You missed the best Ga. Rally ever. More people, more trucks, more hours on the trail and food on site was great. I think Richard and Mike took on more that they expected as it turned into an almost full time job. I hope they will do it next year. Get ready for many good pictures and vidioes. We had a lot of exciting moments and two that could have been bad. Two or three dueces tried a steep climb at the Grand Canyon which was severly water washed. One duece came real close to sliding off a ten foot drop but managed to stop and hold until we could get chains and a truck to drag him up. A mule tried the same climb abd made it almost to the top when the front slid sideways towards the ten foot drop, and then the right front tire come up three feet off the ground. It looked as if it was going to flip into the ravine but ten or more people raced down and grabbed it and held on. They then guided it back down to safty. Last years turn around spot was badly washed out but gimpyrob thought he could make it. When he failed and tried to back out his right front wheel fell into a very deep washout. the truck was so badly twisted that diesel fuel gushed from the tank and we thought it was rupshured. The cab shifted so much it pinched the battery cables and smoke gushed out. They yelled for fire extenquishers but before the three that were racing down could get there the crisis was over. Gimps truck was badly wedged and had to be double blocked with a full spool of cable lt out and tied to a tree to be pulled free. I was surprized that when the truck was winched to flat ground it started right up and drove out on its on power with only some minor bends. Big case got his truck wedged against a tree at one of the worst climbs. He had to be winched sideways to get him off the tree and then drove around the hill and made it out. Several trucks bent front bumpers on that obstical and then another bumper got bent when it encountered a tree at another bad spot. We all had a blast and I am sorry more of you could not make it.:-D

Last edited:

AMGeneral

Well,another GA rally has come and gone.

What can I say? Good people,good food,good trailrides,good deals!!!

Neil and I got back here about 6:40,Neil is now eastbound on I-40 going home.

Mike and WM,great job on the food,enjoyed every bite!!

But now for Pics!!!!!!!!

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
looks like it tows a 5th wheel goose neck trailer, if you look closely you can just see the 5th wheel

i type slow

phil2968

We got home at 9:00 with no problems. Had a great time at the rally! If you didn't make it you missed out. The food was great, thanks to the kitchen staff and all who helped out. The campfire joke telling needs some new material but it was still a great time! I really enjoyed putting faces with the names on here. Met a lot of great people this weekend and can't wait till next year. Here are some pics of the compound and also some fine fellows with their trucks that I saw in Macon. They left before me but I kept the 109 to the floor and past em' about 35 miles on down the road.! :-D

Attachments

phil2968

Some more pics

Attachments

poppop

papercu as stated that bed was modified by the owner to pull a gooseneck trailer. He towed a camper to the event to sleep in this year. Last year when he showed up at the rally on Friday I think, he was asked how long it took to do that great job. He stated he had started it just last Sunday. He is very talented.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like every pic of the mess area has Gimpy there stuffing his face :grin:.

Was going to try and make it down there this year but it finally dried up around here so I had to stay home and shell corn. After looking at these pics looks like I really missed out :-(. Oh well, there's always next year.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don't really know where to begin!

Yet another rally behind us and even though we are tired and glad to be showered up and sitting on the sofa, I wish we were still out on the trails with all of you guys getting stuck :-D

I have the sign in sheet we passed around the campfire and I will dig it out tomorow and either post up the list of attendees or edit this post.

First, let's get all the thanks out of the way.

Thanks to Durhamtown for hosting us. They have always given us everything we asked for and we appreciate the access to trails at night for trailrides. The owner of D-town has always taken a personal interest in our event and without his support, we wouldn't be able to pull this off.

Thanks to Big Case for bringing his big tent and his generator and then offering up the generator for anyone who needed.

Thanks to everyone who brought firewood. Poppop, MD Morgan, BFR, Pjpiche1 and others (who else brought some? Let me know and I will add you to this).

Thanks to Squirt Truck who has sort of become an impromptu trail ride leader. His assistance has proven invaluable every single year. We all appreciate his efforts and enthusiasm.

Now, we have to talk about the incredible cooking. Wreckerman and SCSG-G4 came up with the idea of taking Mike's MKT and offering food. This was a bif risk-they spent the majority of the rally cooking and cleaning and they bought all the food and supplies out of their own pocket, only hoping to get back their initial investment. By the end of the rally, they had cleared a nice profit that we will use towards next year's food. We all sincerely appreciate their effort, along with the absolutely vitak help that Sevo and his girlfriend gratiously offered (and they offered to help with breakfast at 6:30 in the morning!), Pam (Timntruck's wife), DHwife, MDMorgan's wife, the wife of the fella with the M151, Amy (DHWife) and others (if you helped, please let me know so I can add you to this list). The cooking crew of the MKT allowed the rally to have such a degree of flexibility that it was whole new event.

Also, thanks to Wreckerman for bringing his PA system. It was awesome to be able to call out to the field "trailrides in 10 minutes".

And finally, thanks to all the memebers who show up! All you guys that come year after year and all you new guys who show up for the first time. So many people drive so far to come to this event, I hope you all had a great time.

I know I am forgetting a lot but it's time for pics!

Here is a list of particpants...... if I missed you, post or PM me and I will add you.

SS username -- Vehicle brought to rally

Speddmon -- Rode w/Gimpy!
Doghead, DHwife -- Civvy pickup (went home with M274A5!)
MDMorgan -- M35A2
SCSG-G4 -- M35A2 & MKT
Gimpyrobb -- M35A2
Jerry's buddy Mike -- Civvy pickup
Jerry's G/F -- Rode w/Jerry and Mike!
JW4x4 -- M1009
Bob130AB -- Civvy BMW bike
Poppop -- M813 & M35A2
Phil2968 -- M109
Recovry4x4 -- M35A2 & M1008
CARNAC -- M1009
BFR -- M185A3 w/Knuckleboom & M105
AM General -- M54A1 & M35A2C
Ferroequineologist & wife-- M109A3
Big Case -- M35A2 & M105A2
Clintogf -- M35A2 & M105A2
Clinto -- M274A5 & M38A1
Wreckerman893 -- M109A3 & trailer
TaylorTradingCy -- M109A3 & trailer
Timntrucks & Wife -- Civvy pickup & military trailer
Squirt Truck -- M54A2, M274A5, M37
1958M274 -- Gama Goat!
Sevo & G/F -- not sure what they brought
Pjpiche1 --M35A2 w/ custom bed
Jason (Pjpiche1's brother) -- M35A2
Chris (not sure of username) -- M35A2 bobbed
MitchG -- not sure if he brought anything
JWaller -- HMMWV & M101A1
Bob Dotson -- not sure if he brought anything
ChevyC60 -- M151 & #7 wrecker hoist on civvy truck
Scooter01522 -- N/A
Salafrae -- N/A
Salafrae's Dad -- N/A
HndrsonJ & wife -- M274A5 (sold to DH & DHW!)
Twright & wife --M35A2
neilhendrix M35A2 & M109 camper trailer
dumpster -- Rode w/Squirt Truck
John Vara -- N/A Camper (official rally vendor)
tennmogger -- Unimog
Bronco4x4 -- M35A2
Butch Atkins -- civvy vehicle (with friends and bronco4x4)
Troy Ohler (favviking) -- M185A3
Tony Perry -- M109A3
Dion Lamb -- M38A1
Lisa Lamb
Steve Giessen -- M151 FAV
Leanne Giessen
Ben Lowery
Mark3395 -- M1028A1
glcaines -- M35A2

I am adding this here (and edited to add them in my original post on page 2) the people who helped Mike and Richard with the MKT. Tim's wonderful wife Pam, Mahala Morgan (MDMorgan's wife and a skilled Deuce driver in her own right), Poppop, Phillip, SEVO and his G/F Stephanie (Hope I am getting all this right) and a few others (if you are one of these folks please PM me your name so I can get you the recognition you deserve).

Thanks to all who brought firewood-looks like we had enough people donate wood so that we had some left over. That means if everyone brings the same amount of wood next year we can have a really big fire! :razz: Phillip, MDMorgan, Poppop, BFR, et al.

You folks are the best. So many people have thanked Dawn and I for the rally and honestly, you people did all the hard work of making the rally so great.

Attachments

Last edited:

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
More - (also, if anyone has any of my M38A1 in action, I'd like to see 'em-mucho thanks).

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Even more!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks