• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

interesting idea - German WWII prime mover

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was thinking on the way back from Rausch Creek, all those deuces that get turned into bobbed 4x4s, that there are WAY too many rear axle spares out there compared with the supply of front axles. Then I remembered the guy in MVM that is selling a 5-ton with 4 rear axles, and I started thinking about the WWII German half-track truck prime mover, that had 7 axles in the rear. Well, okay, it was a Christie-type suspension, so it was independent, no axles, but you understand what I am talking about. The bogie wheels were staggered. Perhaps a longer-framed deuce could have up to 7 rear axles installed, with the wheels staggered, first rear axle would have a single hub facing outward, then the #2 rear axle would have a single rim facing inward, etc.

Just a different concept, not sure what kind of traction it would get, or mileage, or the fact now you have 7+1 drive axles instead of the normal 2+1 powered by the same engine, etc.

Thoughts?

broman78

I would think wit 7 rear axles you would have too much drive train loss by the the time it got to the final axle. i can't see how more that 3 rear axles would be any good.

Mark2X2

Just a different concept, not sure what kind of traction it would get, or mileage, or the fact now you have 7+1 drive axles instead of the normal 2+1 powered by the same engine, etc.

Thoughts?[/quote]

Mike,
I think it would look cool, but.....
Don't know how much time you have spent under your trucks. Looking under mine the transmission and drive line looks heavy enough to do what it's doing and thats about it. You stack 5 more axles behind your stock axles, I don't think your drive line would hold up. If it did, would there be enough power in a 134hp engine to move it. Personally the deuce axles as lite as they are wouldn't worth going through the trouble of making s truck that could carry 17.5 tons CC or 35 tons highway.
But hey don't let me stop you! If you thing it will work go for it!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No guys, I have no intention of building this. It was just a thought that entered in my head about whether or not it was feasible. I guess it is, but not too useful or efficient.

Thanks for the analysis, guys.

JAYHAWK 1962

You could power it like some of the tractor pull trucks put a couple of engines together might be interesting looking. Multi fuel, multi engine, multi axle etc.

Snarky

No guys, I have no intention of building this. It was just a thought that entered in my head about whether or not it was feasible. I guess it is, but not too useful or efficient.

Thanks for the analysis, guys.
Oh common, you came up with the idea now you NEED to build it, can't you feel the urge to create? Get with the guy who wants to put a shipping container on the deuce chassis. 7+1 axles and then a 40ft shipping container you could fill with lead. Also take pictures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks