• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Temperature guage problem

rice

My temperature guage doesn't work. You can take the wire loose from the sender and touch to ground and the guage goes to hot. I just installed the 2nd new sending unit and it still doesn't work. I even installed the 2nd one with no sealant so its brass direct to the engine, still nothing. Any ideas, thanks

eddiec

check the grounding strapp on the engine. also, run a temperary ground wire9 jumper cables work great) from a bolt near the sending unit to the frame, probably not grounded on the block.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thread resurrection warning.

I have the same symptoms and results that the OP experienced. In addition I have confirmed a good ground path (.3 ohm) between the manifold ground next to the sender, to the battery, the dash plate and the body of the temperature gauge. Grounds all check out.

TM9-2320-209-20-2-1 leads you through the trouble shooting steps without giving resistance readings for either the sending unit or the meter internals. However the diagnostic steps indicate there is a voltage drop to be expected when the current passes through the meter. To confuse things further, one of the drawings attending the steps is drawn incorrectly, and potentially misleading if you are not understanding the thought process and sequence of the diagnostic routine. The old sender measured 7k ohms at about 50*. The new replacement sender measured 14k ohms at the same temp.

I have followed the TM for a change ('cause I thought changing the sender would fix it!) and am left with changing out the gauge unit as the solution. I have ordered the gauge, (NOS), and will report my results.

While I'm waiting for the part to arrive, I'd like to hear the groups thoughts and experiences on this situation.

Rick

dmetalmiki

Why not just change the electric units for Capillary units?
All my trucks are fitted with capillary gauges, Oil, And temperature.
You must surely wonder why all trucks are fitted with capillary Air gauges?
A solid line requires no earthing, And, "What you see is what you' got".
Much better. Much safer. At least give it a thought. (As) like mine, the air gauge (Bought from the U.S.) Can be obtained with electrical connectors to Work a Buzzer or Light etc.
With the option to Activate, low air on, High air on. Very useful.
Especially with the temperature Gauge.

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not just change the electric units for Capillary units?
Thanks for the suggestion, I have converted other vehicles to the capillary units, and yes, they operate much more in real time than factory gauges.

I'm actually not too worried about the temp readings. I have owned this truck for years and am accustomed to operating it without this operational info. But now getting around to fixing some details and I'd like to make it as intended.

Cheers,
Rick

Guyfang

Staff member
There is a list of 20 different providers of the part to the Army. If you want a list, can do. There is a list of at least 40 different part numbers. If you want a list, can do. There is a list of 17 different, (cancled) NSN's. If you want a list, can do.
Sender:

THREAD LENGTH0 383/500 INCHES NOMINAL
OVERALL LENGTH2 82/125 INCHES MAXIMUM
OUTSIDE DIAMETER0 3/8 INCHES MAXIMUM
OPERATING TEMP RANGE+48.9/+160.0 DEG CELSIUS
MOUNTING FACILITY SCREW THREAD SERIES DESIGNATORUNS
UNIT TYPEPROTECTIVE TUBE
MOUNTING FACILITY TYPE AND QUANTITY1 THREAD
MOUNTING THREAD QUANTITY14 PER INCH
MOUNTING FACILITY NOMINAL SCREW THREAD DIAMETER0 1/2 INCHES
DISTANCE ACROSS WRENCHING SURFACE FLATS0 469/500 INCHES NOMINAL
ACCOMMODATED CONTACT TYPE AND QUANTITY1 MALE SNAP-ON
MATERIALSTEEL CORROSION RESISTING OVERALL
STYLE DESIGNATORTRANSMITTER, 24V DC
TERMINAL TYPE AND QUANTITY1 THREADED STUD

There is a list of 15-16 providers of this part. There ias a list of 13-15, (canceled) NSN's. There is a list of 22 part numbers for this part. Can provide all this info if needed.

Gauge:

SCALE MARKING AND SURFACE FINISHNUMERALS NONLUMINOUS
DIAMETER2 INCHES NOMINAL
SCALE DIVISION QUANTITY4 SINGLE INDICATOR SINGLE SCALE
CURRENT TYPEDC
DC VOLTAGE RATING24 VOLTS NOMINAL
DEPTH2 3/8 INCHES NOMINAL
CONTACT QUANTITY2
CONTACT TYPESCREW
PRESENTATION TYPEDIAL
SCALE RANGE+120.0/+240.0 DEG FAHRENHEIT SINGLE INDICATOR SINGLE SCALE
ELECTRICAL CONNECTION QUANTITY2
ELECTRICAL CONNECTION IDENTIFYING NUMBERMS33800
POINTER TYPEINDICATING SINGLE POINTER
MOUNTING FACILITY TYPE AND QUANTITY1 CLAMP
TEST DATA DOCUMENT81349-MIL-I-10986 SPECIFICATION (INCLUDES ENGINEERING TYPE BULLETINS, BROCHURES,ETC., THAT REFLECT SPECIFICATION TYPE DATA IN SPECIFICATION FORMAT; EXCLUDES COMMERCIAL CATALOGS, INDUSTRY DIRECTORIES, AND SIMILAR TRADE PUBLICATIONS, REFLECTING GENERAL TYPE DATA ON CERTAIN ENVIRONMENTAL AND PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS AND TEST CONDITIONS THAT ARE SHOWN AS "TYPICAL", "AVERAGE", "NOMINAL", ETC.).
SPECIFICATION/STANDARD DATA96906-MS24543 GOVERNMENT STANDARD
FSC APPLICATION DATATEST SET,ELECT. EQUIP.

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guy, thanks for all the manufacturer and physical data on the parts. At this moment, I don't think that info is of use to me. I have learned in the past that gauges can be surprisingly complex inside. Often gauges are built with internal circuitry to make them deflect slowly, sit in one position over a wide temperature range and remain stable. Therefore, even if we could find the resistance reading across the meter, I'm not sure that info would be useful. I thought I'd ask anyway 'cause I'm constantly discovering how much I don't know.

Rick

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I'd follow up on this thread after "fixing" the issue. The best reason I can give as to why the temp gauge now works is that I touched everything. I had replacement sensors and gauges fitted, then went back to my original pieces and voila! Probably I had missed a cruddy connection somewhere and restored a ground contact, even after taking care to measure things. In the course of doing all this, the oil pressure gauge also now reads correctly, something I was going to tackle subsequently.

I have two pieces of info to leave here, followed by a few musings:

First is that the two temperature sensors I have measured from 7-10k ohms at 50*, and about 1k ohm at boiling. I hope this data helps someone now or in the future.

Second is that the internals of the gauge are exceedingly simple. There are two coils in series and a simple needle movement. I didn't measure the resistance across the meter. Best to follow the TM and confirm/deny the existence of the voltage drop.

I bought a NOS meter for a replacement, thinking that the metal gauges are more robust. Turned out the NOS gauge was BIB (broken in box). I was dubious it was going to work because it had zero resistance across the contacts and did not drop the voltage to the sender as the TM instructed. So I installed it and confirmed it was kaput at the get-go. There was a very fine wire connection inside that is broken and will be difficult to patch.

My deuce really is cold blooded. I can block the radiator completely, drive it around (unloaded) on surface streets in 60* weather, and it won't broach 170* operating temperature. I think it's time to check for the existence of a missing or stuck open thermostat. Onward and upwards.

Rick

Last edited:

rustystud

My deuce really is cold blooded. I can block the radiator completely, drive it around (unloaded) on surface streets in 60* weather, and it won't broach 170* operating temperature. I think it's time to check for the existence of a missing or stuck open thermostat. Onward and upwards.

Rick

Your deuce is running normal. They all operate that cold. That is why there is a radiator cover. The deuce's cooling is very efficient. To get the temperature up to 180 or higher you need 80 degree weather at least and running it good and hard. That is what I've found on mine. Now that I have two cab heaters I cannot get the engine up to 180 unless I have the radiator totally blocked unless it is in the 90's. Thermostat works great. Tested it just two months ago.

Ajax MD

LOL- "I touched everything." Yep, that'll do it. I hear your frustration. Eventually, you touch too many things, so you've introduced too many variables and you don't know what fixed the problems.

The resistance values are great info to have in the forum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks