• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drum / filter bag setup?

number9

Been reading lots of threads about using WMO for fuel in the Deuce. We have a OTR tractor pulling dropdecks and I've been wanting to start doing the oil changes myself to save money and stay in touch with the truck health but I haven't had any good idea of what to do with 12 gallon of WMO - until now :idea:

I don't think the volume of WMO I'd have over the course of a year would really justify the expense of a centrifuge right now. I figured between the big truck and our two vehicles I'd maybe have 440 gallon over a year. I think I worked out the math of filling the Deuce 50/50 with WMO and diesel would be about 17 tank fulls. I'd rather stick to using my own WMO so I have a better idea of what's in it as opposed to bulk WMO from some shop with who knows what in it.

Been reading about the filter bags. WOuld something like this pic below work okay for using WMO in the fuel for the Deuce mixed 50/50 with diesel?

I'd have to make some kind of hanger for the filter bags down inside a 55 gal drum (or other size drum). Then pour the oil in and let it run through all 3 filters to the bottom of the drum and out a drain into a 5 gallon (or whatever size) bucket to pour into the Deuce fuel tank.

Attachments

scrapman

I would cut the WMO with 1/3 diesel to help the flow through the socks. This is the ultimate in simplicity & low cost. I would change the micron levels to 25-15-5 this would help to speed the processing while still producing a good product. In my own use I have drained motor oil into a clean pan and put it directly into the fuel tank with no ill effects. 3 years & 25K miles.

CGarbee

I use a commercial light duty filter bag setup at 5 microns and pump the oil through it. Cut it 50/50 in the summer, about 25/75 in the winter for use in my NHC250 powered trucks.

Unit I use is:
100XB Filter Housing w/Stand at F2F Filtration Units (didn't purchase from these folks, but they have a nice description of the unit and some other interesting looking stuff on thier site.)

srodocker

im also interested as i just came into a nice supply of continuous WMO from my uncles work.

Im also trying to figure out if i go on a long trip with a cpl 55 gal barrels in the back of the deuce, i can suck it up and into the tank with a hand pump of a sort and then put the diesel in afterwords? does it need to be mixed at all?

Westex

Well, this thread got me talking to some guys in south Texas, and I ran across some information whereby a man has a pole with hooks on it and he hangs, of all things, blue jeans that he recovers from flea markets and what not. Ties the legs off and then sets another pair of tied off jeans inside this. Puts a barrel under the legs and pours in waste oil, whatever. He apparently has access to lots of waste oil and waste veg oil. He has been doing this for 5 years now, and (are you ready for this) he runs it through a 7.3 Ford one ton. Been doing it for said 5 years. He does dilute with diesel in ratios appropriate for the temperature.

Point being: if he has had this kind of success for this length of time, then one must assume that we could run this kind of fuel in our multifuels with no worry. Leads me to wonder what the micro filtration of blue jeans is. Good enough for a straight diesel pump::well good enough for a multifuel pump.

Farmun

I had about 16 gallon of WMO and started filtering it about two weeks ago. Didn't want to build an elaborate filter setup for this small amount. So I went to Wallyworld and picked up a 3-pack of high efficiency vacuum cleaner bags. Cut the bottom out of a 2-liter soda bottle, and cut the filter bag off to length. The filter bag fits into the soda bottle, which acts like a funnel, and the oil runs/drips into the top of empty 1-gallon oil jugs. I did build a 3-leg stand with ring on top to hold the filter-bottle- funnel unit. Slow, but works really well for me. :-D

Westex

I had about 16 gallon of WMO and started filtering it about two weeks ago. Didn't want to build an elaborate filter setup for this small amount. So I went to Wallyworld and picked up a 3-pack of high efficiency vacuum cleaner bags. Cut the bottom out of a 2-liter soda bottle, and cut the filter bag off to length. The filter bag fits into the soda bottle, which acts like a funnel, and the oil runs/drips into the top of empty 1-gallon oil jugs. I did build a 3-leg stand with ring on top to hold the filter-bottle- funnel unit. Slow, but works really well for me. :-D
That sounds even simpler. This to me is what makes owning one of these great trucks so much fun. The innovation and what not you can do with the simplest (and cheapest) of things. I wanted to add that the guy that does the blue jean thing formerly used expensive filters, etc and a pump, but found that the filters clogged up often enough that it ate up the savings. Granted, it's slow, but I'm told he has this setup in a barn/garage/ whatever and when he passes by just fills up the jeans and lets gravity do the rest.

TheOxman

I've been doing something similar to this lately. A built a stand with a few boards standing up and a board running across them. I cut a whole in the top board a five micron sock filter hangs down. I pour the oil into the sock filter and it then filters down into an oil pan. I then take the oil pan outside and pour the contents into my truck. I'm probably running about 50/50.

Before I pour the oil into the sock, I pour it into a big open drum and let it sit there for a while so the really big stuff filters to the bottom. I found that posting ads online offering to pick up WMO works pretty well. I'd like to eventually add a second filter stand with a one micron filter in it to further filter the oil, through the five first and then through the one, and then store the oil in a large 55 gal drum rather than having to put it in my tank right away. It'd be nice to be able to do a bunch of it at once.

BTW, here is the link to the place I buy my filters: Filter Bag SVO WVO Biodiesel & Chemical Filtration 1 Micron

Smokinyoda

Well, this thread got me talking to some guys in south Texas, and I ran across some information whereby a man has a pole with hooks on it and he hangs, of all things, blue jeans that he recovers from flea markets and what not. Ties the legs off and then sets another pair of tied off jeans inside this. Puts a barrel under the legs and pours in waste oil, whatever. He apparently has access to lots of waste oil and waste veg oil. He has been doing this for 5 years now, and (are you ready for this) he runs it through a 7.3 Ford one ton. Been doing it for said 5 years. He does dilute with diesel in ratios appropriate for the temperature.

Point being: if he has had this kind of success for this length of time, then one must assume that we could run this kind of fuel in our multifuels with no worry. Leads me to wonder what the micro filtration of blue jeans is. Good enough for a straight diesel pump::well good enough for a multifuel pump.
Hate to bring up an old thread, but does anyone want to make an educated guess as to what micron level 2 pair of jeans would filter to?

I've been doing something similar to this lately. A built a stand with a few boards standing up and a board running across them. I cut a whole in the top board a five micron sock filter hangs down. I pour the oil into the sock filter and it then filters down into an oil pan. I then take the oil pan outside and pour the contents into my truck. I'm probably running about 50/50.

Before I pour the oil into the sock, I pour it into a big open drum and let it sit there for a while so the really big stuff filters to the bottom. I found that posting ads online offering to pick up WMO works pretty well. I'd like to eventually add a second filter stand with a one micron filter in it to further filter the oil, through the five first and then through the one, and then store the oil in a large 55 gal drum rather than having to put it in my tank right away. It'd be nice to be able to do a bunch of it at once.

BTW, here is the link to the place I buy my filters: Filter Bag SVO WVO Biodiesel & Chemical Filtration 1 Micron
Also these filter bags sound great, how many gallons before they need to be replaced?

Either of these sound perfect for my situation. Wanting to start using wmo but dont drive her enough to justify the upfront cost of a fancy filter system... at least not at first.

Last edited:

OEFISHER

Somkinyoda I have very simple setup that works great. I have a 25 micron bag held in place by the clamp on top of barrel. Then use a converted Chevy oil pump run by my drill motor pumping thru 5 micro filter. In warm weather I can fill 5 gal fuel can in less than 2 minutes and whole thing only cost about 100 bucks. In warm weather I run 50/50 and cold straight diesel. I would like to have a centrifuge but right now I'm just to cheap [thumbzup]

Jimma

I have a simple set up. I went to dudadiesel on the internet and purchased some of their pre filters that can go on a 5 gal bucket or 55 gal drum. They are like a large round plastic tray and they simply interlock and are re usable. I start with a 600 micron, runs into a 200 micron and then into a 75 micron all in one step. This filters out any big particles, junk, clumps, and debris especially if you are using WVO. The cost is very minimal and they act as a great pre filter. I just pour the oil into them and it runs into my bucket or barrel with the majority of the nasty junk removed. I then run the oil through dudadiesel filter socks. I put a 10 micron sock inside of a 5 micron and filter it. Its really simple and the cost of the filters through dudadiesel is very inexspensive. They are located in Alabama and ship very quickly.

camp9

I would cut the WMO with 1/3 diesel to help the flow through the socks. This is the ultimate in simplicity & low cost. I would change the micron levels to 25-15-5 this would help to speed the processing while still producing a good product. In my own use I have drained motor oil into a clean pan and put it directly into the fuel tank with no ill effects. 3 years & 25K miles.
I've done this on our older diesel farm non computerized tractors. If there is any ill effects it might be changing the fuel filter more, but I really haven't noticed it.

Camp

I have a 5 micron bag hanging in my shop over a bucket. Do oil change, pour oil in bag filter, 1 hour later pour bucket in 55 gal drum.

I pump the oil from drum through a water blocker and a 10 micron fuel filter on the way to deuce's fuel tanks just to make sure.

So far one bag filter has done 100 gal.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks