• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seabee bulldozer???

joec

Chris Dave at Eastern had a D7 Cheap and it was a pony start with hydraulic blade.

alot better then the 2U series with pony start and cable blade...!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My neighbor, Glen, was a WWII Seebee. He told me 2 war stories before he passed away. He said when he was in Italy they were building up the waterfront so the ships could unload. He had a large dozer and was pushing stuff in the water, including railroad box cars. At one point the ground started to collapse. He put his dozer in reverse but it was not fast enough and it slid into the water. They did not bother to recover it and it became part of the fill.
Great story, Jim. I bet that kind of stuff happened more than we will ever know.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
For the most part the Seabees and Air Farce use Civvy trucks/trailers (International etc.) adapted (painted) for military use to haul their dozers around.
I have seen a bunch of big 6x6 International trucks around here pulling the Navy's big boat trailers. I have my eye on an an old-school International already. It's not a Seabee-marked truck, but it has the US Navy markings on the side.

Chris just find somthing you like paint it carc or semi-gloss green replace all factory decal figure out some cese number for the side about 8" block letters on it . We had pretty much the same off the rack equipment civilian markets trackhoes to grader ect.. Maybe Some EO or CM will fill you in on the CESE numbering. Maybe look for EO 1&2 manual or CM 1&2
That's good for me that they used so many different types of civi equipment. Surely I will be able to find something being this close to Little Creek Amphib Base.

ccequipment

Here is a seebee piece, but a little to big for your trailer. Its a 1979 Terex TS-14B. I bought it out of the local naval base, it had only 1200 hours on it. It is the first serial # of 4 made for the US Navy. It was solid green when I got it with all the navy logo's and I decided to camo it just to be differnt. We have 2 other civi scrapers also. We ran this all summer and it has been great. The seebees have had just about everything, but not in the big #'s. I belive they ran some D4E's which would be great for you, I know they had some D5B's also.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here is a seebee piece, but a little to big for your trailer. Its a 1979 Terex TS-14B. I bought it out of the local naval base, it had only 1200 hours on it. It is the first serial # of 4 made for the US Navy. It was solid green when I got it with all the navy logo's and I decided to camo it just to be differnt. We have 2 other civi scrapers also. We ran this all summer and it has been great. The seebees have had just about everything, but not in the big #'s. I belive they ran some D4E's which would be great for you, I know they had some D5B's also.
Pics please!

GoHot229

I seem to keep ending up with Seabee trucks because of where I live. M923A2 was a Seabee truck and now I have the Seabee 925A2. My Dad has a Seabee M756A2 too.

I like the Seabee stuff since it is unique so I am going to keep going with that theme. I have been talking with my brother about getting a dozer to haul behind the 925A2.

I don't anticipate being able to find an actual Seabee dozer, but maybe I'll get lucky. I will most likely have to get a civi dozer and paint it up Seabee style. What were the most commonly used dozers? Cat D5? That's about 13 tons I think so I should be able manage that with a good equipment trailer with air brakes. A D4 would be even easier to manage.

Thoughts?
I'm wondering if you going to haul this around just because, or actually work it? Thats alot of weight to haul just because, having said that and thinking it for display usage more than likely, It seems to me there was a dozer from the 40's? a Military small little one that would be weight-wise, towing-wise all around easier, though if your truck is late model then it would be a mis-match, but likely not caught by laymen to the MV hobby. But rather than the big "D models" which girth make them unwieldy, the small one would 'look' just as cool and be easier to tote.

Last edited:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm wondering if you going to haul this around just because, or actually work it? Thats alot of weight to haul just because, having said that and thinking it for display usage more than likely, It seems to me there was a dozer from the 40's? a Military small little one that would be weight-wise, towing-wise all around easier, though if your truck is late model then it would be a mis-match, but likely not caught by laymen to the MV hobby. But rather than the big "D models" which girth make them unwieldy, the small one would 'look' just as cool and be easier to tote.
Good question. I would like to have one to work and to show. My family always has some dirt moving projects to tend to and a dozer would be handy. I'm not talking about clearing 10 acres of land with it. More like grading, back-filling, road maintenance. The downside to hauling it with my 925A2 is the max towed weight is 15k lbs according to the -10. That doesn't leave much room for a dozer once you factor in the weight of the trailer:x Hmmm.

cbvet

Now that I think about it further, the International TD 20s we had were in Mississippi, not in 'Nam.
And the only Eimcos I saw were run by Marine engineers, but were sometimes repaired by SeaBee mechanics.
We generally agreed that although the visibility was great, sitting out near the front of a dozer in an area with a lot of mines just didn't seem like a good idea!

ccequipment

here are the pics

Attachments

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
The downside to hauling it with my 925A2 is the max towed weight is 15k lbs according to the -10. That doesn't leave much room for a dozer once you factor in the weight of the trailer
Isn't that 15k off road and 30k highway?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Good point. The manuals usually list 5-tons as having a 5 ton cargo capacity off-road and 10 on road. Same thing with the towed weight. The 939 -10 only list the off-road capacities.

My 925A2 should have a better towing capacity than a dually civi truck! :p The air brakes on the truck and trailer will help a lot too.

GoHot229

I think you guys have seen the one I'm talking about, a little oh...7x10-12 outfit dropped from aircraft and parachuted in, something the engeneeres or Seebees would use. I think OD might have pics of one.
These pictures come from the archive of Olive Drab, they be to small to give the look, I was thinking they were a scoush bigger, but still easily toteable, but rare probably.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks